Is the card game Yugioh something christians should be playing with?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JackMack

Oct 13, 2018
I've seen some ''christians'' try to justify that its a safe game that kids and adults should play? What do you think?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I never heard of it. If you have doubts about whether or not to play the game then it would be best to simply pass on it as a form of entertainment.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I've seen some ''christians'' try to justify that its a safe game that kids and adults should play? What do you think?
I wonder as a "Christian" are you as concerned about the multibillion dollar human trafficking epidemic?
Or the widespread ease of access of true rape videos sold all over India?
Or the issue of child hunger in the US?
Perhaps rampant homelessness?
As much as you are about some individuals making a personal choice to play a game or read a book?

I found worrying about such things so much is fruitless. People grow at different rates and have different priorities. Perhaps one day some of these people will give it up but they may have more significant issues to focus on right now. Realizing seeing a person we usually only see one part of a lifetime journey can make it easier to spend less time worrying about everyone else and looking more inward.
Such as why referencing someone as a "Christian", somehow suggesting they aren't, for being at a different place in their walk than you are.

L

Locoponydirtman

If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, "Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!" (which all refer to things destined to perish with use)-in accordance with the commandments and teachings of men? These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.
Colossians 2:20‭-‬23 NASB
All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything. Food is for the stomach and the stomach is for food, but God will do away with both of them. Yet the body is not for immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body.
1 Corinthians 6:12‭-‬13 NASB
I wonder as a "Christian" are you as concerned about the multibillion dollar human trafficking epidemic?
Or the widespread ease of access of true rape videos sold all over India?
Or the issue of child hunger in the US?
Perhaps rampant homelessness?
As much as you are about some individuals making a personal choice to play a game or read a book?

I found worrying about such things so much is fruitless. People grow at different rates and have different priorities. Perhaps one day some of these people will give it up but they may have more significant issues to focus on right now. Realizing seeing a person we usually only see one part of a lifetime journey can make it easier to spend less time worrying about everyone else and looking more inward.
Such as why referencing someone as a "Christian", somehow suggesting they aren't, for being at a different place in their walk than you are.
And what this guy said.
Why be caught up I'm such foolishness when we have real problems. Have you over come sin so thoroughly that card games are the next battle?

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Evidently this is about monsters, death and darkness. Not suitable for kids or Christians.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
If it interferes with your walk with Christ dont play it I avoid certain video games for that reason like the others said there are far more pressing matters. That being said I do enjoy the game and other tcgs from time to time including the one I've made. Dont bother arguing with the "Everythings evil cuz I said so crowd" I gave up a while ago

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
I never heard of it. If you have doubts about whether or not to play the game then it would be best to simply pass on it as a form of entertainment.
Like many tcgs it's more about strategy and deck building than subject matter.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Like many tcgs it's more about strategy and deck building than subject matter.
For me it is a matter on how you spend the precious commodity of time. Rest and relaxation is necessary, especially true when one has the responsibility of taking care of your family and all that it details, especially maintaining a full time job that provides food, clothing, shelter, transportation and ordinary household monthly expenses. Being a married man I believe that my highest priority is taking care of my family. Regarding the rest and relaxation, I do try to maintain a proper balance of this as a means of sustaining and exceeding my duties as a husband. Of course, if you are single you may have more time for outside pursuits for entertainment but please be advised that God still expects the very best from you and wants you to proceed on a positive track leading to spiritual growth and maturity.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
For me it is a matter on how you spend the precious commodity of time. Rest and relaxation is necessary, especially true when one has the responsibility of taking care of your family and all that it details, especially maintaining a full time job that provides food, clothing, shelter, transportation and ordinary household monthly expenses. Being a married man I believe that my highest priority is taking care of my family. Regarding the rest and relaxation, I do try to maintain a proper balance of this as a means of sustaining and exceeding my duties as a husband. Of course, if you are single you may have more time for outside pursuits for entertainment but please be advised that God still expects the very best from you and wants you to proceed on a positive track leading to spiritual growth and maturity.
Indeed thankfully God has lately been show me himself in the things I do lately for example I was watching an anime and someone stated something and Jesus instantly came to mind. That being said I need to find a Church soon to go to and get some live fellowship

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
The pics on the cards tells you all you need to know. People who spend money on something intended to drag their minds down, are uninformed and possibly in bondage. If some of the backers of this type of fantasy demon-studded game are who is thought to b behind these games, warn everybody you know. Men, women and children are making these somebodies rich while they, the curious, are the victims. God bless.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
The pics on the cards tells you all you need to know. People who spend money on something intended to drag their minds down, are uninformed and possibly in bondage. If some of the backers of this type of fantasy demon-studded game are who is thought to b behind these games, warn everybody you know. Men, women and children are making these somebodies rich while they, the curious, are the victims. God bless.
Keep in mind the message 'Cast down imaginations and every high thing that goes against the knowledge of God and bring into captivity EVERY thought to the obedience of Christ' 2 Cor 5-7. Btw I don't like sounding like the heavy, but somebody got to do it and I do care about others.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
Okay you are entitled to your opinion and somethings are bad God has done a great job at turning me from things I shouldn't do but calling people who enjoy a card game in bondage? Just after a few looks at the cards and no further research doesn't help the ignorant Christian view so prevalent everywhere now. I will continue to casually play until God tells me otherwise.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I agree with almost everyone. I would not spend my time on fruitless pursuits that glorify evil, ever. Not even before I became a Christian. (Although I was raised as a Christian, and knew right from wrong!)

I also agree, you need to make a personal decision about what you are doing. Are you reading your Bible and praying as much or more than this game? It might be ok, especially if you are trying to meet people and share the gospel. You need to be super grounded in the Word, and walking close to God to do that kind of thing. I would never waste my time. But then, reality TV is about the same to me.

I have been through terrible legalism in the 1980's, with people saying everything was from the devil, in Veggie Tales. That is not right, either. But, TavRIVCA points out some good scriptures to ponder, which are not legalism, but the truth of the Bible.

Finally, heed what Subhumanal is saying. Are these things important? Wouldn't it be better to spend your time finding ways to serve God, instead of these time wasting games? Helping the poor, the women caught in sex trafficking, and working against the evils of abortion, and now infanticide be a better way to be a servant of God? I don't agree with all he said, but certainly his first paragraph is not something just to agree about, but to actually do.

I guess, I strongly feel that these kinds of games are really spiritual killers. Not because of the outright evil, but because they take your attention off God, and put it on pleasure, competition and other things that are a waste of time, in your sanctification and walking with God.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
I agree with almost everyone. I would not spend my time on fruitless pursuits that glorify evil, ever. Not even before I became a Christian. (Although I was raised as a Christian, and knew right from wrong!)

I also agree, you need to make a personal decision about what you are doing. Are you reading your Bible and praying as much or more than this game? It might be ok, especially if you are trying to meet people and share the gospel. You need to be super grounded in the Word, and walking close to God to do that kind of thing. I would never waste my time. But then, reality TV is about the same to me.

I have been through terrible legalism in the 1980's, with people saying everything was from the devil, in Veggie Tales. That is not right, either. But, TavRIVCA points out some good scriptures to ponder, which are not legalism, but the truth of the Bible.

Finally, heed what Subhumanal is saying. Are these things important? Wouldn't it be better to spend your time finding ways to serve God, instead of these time wasting games? Helping the poor, the women caught in sex trafficking, and working against the evils of abortion, and now infanticide be a better way to be a servant of God? I don't agree with all he said, but certainly his first paragraph is not something just to agree about, but to actually do.

I guess, I strongly feel that these kinds of games are really spiritual killers. Not because of the outright evil, but because they take your attention off God, and put it on pleasure, competition and other things that are a waste of time, in your sanctification and walking with God.
Perfect!! Thank you for making sense :D Indeed we should spend our time wisely I've been ministering to my friend lately we are both huge nerds she's Buddhist. We talk about nerd stuff but my faith shines brightest when sharing with her the word :)

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Perfect!! Thank you for making sense :D Indeed we should spend our time wisely I've been ministering to my friend lately we are both huge nerds she's Buddhist. We talk about nerd stuff but my faith shines brightest when sharing with her the word :)
Re my previous post, I had just watched a vid from a Christian denouncing Yugioh and as I scrolled the comments I was struck by the venomous attacks to the dude. Who knows exactly where they came from but most were anti-Christian. Also, I use to help my son try and get the best Pokémon cards and he also played Yugioh and says he won a championship with his 3 double-attack cards boosted w/a magic card. He also said it forced him to expand his reading realm, hopefully on a positive track. He says he quit bc he got more interested in girls at that time (he now b engaged). Sorry my bad to label everyone ignorant or in bondage playing this game. If it can b taken as a superficial strategy game for kids and adults w/o any brain washing or opening the doors of darkness, fine. I still would b cautious as to the intent and cause/effect the writers of this type of hobby have in mind. Obviously it's a huge money making bus and they want it to stay that way. Btw, a confession, I like the X-Men movies but I think Christians are the ones who should b performing more of the signs and wonders. God bless and keep you!

Apr 15, 2017
A lot of people that claim Christ, would view the game, as well as other games like it, as being innocent, and only having fun, and do not care about the occult, and do not believe in being able to actually receive power through nature.

But it can influence a lot of children today, especially since evolution is a popular belief among many people.

For evolution is the culprit that will ensnare the world to where they will believe that we can still evolve, which could only happen through the power of nature, which is what these games are about, power through nature, witchcraft.

Pokemon, as well as Yu Gi Oh, hitting them young, Magic the Gathering, got to get the ones a little older, and all the games that have to do with the occult, magic, and witchcraft, and movies, shows, and magazines.

For the powers that be, the people who have the influence, want to establish the occult, and nature worship, and evolution, in the world as standard religion, so they will want to influence the people greatly with it to prepare them for the kingdom to come that is of the occult, and evolution, and honors the God of forces, or the power of nature as their higher power.

For they believe that people are still evolving, and the next step is to evolve to be spiritual, and usher in peace for the world.

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
1Ti 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
1Ti 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

New Age movement, a false interpretation of the Bible. In the future international law that a man and a woman cannot marry, and cannot eat meat.

2Ti 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Ti 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Ti 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

New Age movement is the future for this sinful world, so they will want to influence them with whatever the new age is about, and the kingdom to come.

Which it is of the occult, nature worship, evolution, witchcraft, and the God of forces, power of nature.

So while many people think the game is innocent, the powers that be want that influence to be put upon them, the younger the better.

And since evolution is very popular among many people, it will seem logical, and reality, that they can still evolve through the power of nature when the New Age Christ appears.

And they also influence with the super hero movies, and the children are the future.

All the insecure, low self esteem, confused young people, which there are many of them, will love it, for now they have something to cling unto to exalt themselves as something great.

Kojikun

Oct 5, 2018
Re my previous post, I had just watched a vid from a Christian denouncing Yugioh and as I scrolled the comments I was struck by the venomous attacks to the dude. Who knows exactly where they came from but most were anti-Christian. Also, I use to help my son try and get the best Pokémon cards and he also played Yugioh and says he won a championship with his 3 double-attack cards boosted w/a magic card. He also said it forced him to expand his reading realm, hopefully on a positive track. He says he quit bc he got more interested in girls at that time (he now b engaged). Sorry my bad to label everyone ignorant or in bondage playing this game. If it can b taken as a superficial strategy game for kids and adults w/o any brain washing or opening the doors of darkness, fine. I still would b cautious as to the intent and cause/effect the writers of this type of hobby have in mind. Obviously it's a huge money making bus and they want it to stay that way. Btw, a confession, I like the X-Men movies but I think Christians are the ones who should b performing more of the signs and wonders. God bless and keep you!
My apologies to if I came across as a little harsh I completely understand. Watch what your kids play :) I have myself in introducing my nephews to the video games I play. I have to look through thoroughly to make sure nothing objectionable is in it or something that can be disruptive in anyway. Unfortunately my parents weren't to restrictive with things. I grew up watching R-rated movies and playing mortal kombat lol not the best for someone with OCD like myself. I myself am still learning.

Campybo

Feb 29, 2024
Your question about the compatibility of Yugioh with Christian values is timeless, even after five years. It's a topic that continues to spark discussion and reflection among believers. While some may argue that Yugioh is harmless entertainment, others may still have reservations about its themes and imagery.
As time has passed, individuals have likely continued to grapple with these questions, seeking clarity and understanding within their faith communities. Exploring alternative card games like euchre may have provided some with a sense of comfort, offering a wholesome gaming experience free from potential conflicts.