is the cross(literally) a real christian symbol approved by god?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kote
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
The cross is an instrument of execution used by the Romans and only purpose is as a symbol to remind people of the sacrifice Jesus made when he was executed by the Romans.
I don't see it as a problem unless people are actually worshiping the cross in which it then becomes an idol.
 
on top of "it" and the "it" is very often an obelisk, like the one in St Peter Square or in Washington DC.

Spire, any steeples topped with a cross or otherwise symbolize something of the system of man's religious attempts/aspirations (tower of Babel). I have looked into these things a bit in recent years. A few months back, I went on a tour of a historical cemetery, in New Orleans, it was steeped in religious symbolism, pyramids, obelisks, angels, objects of sorts. Christian churches use a lot of symbols/images in worship as well as church building adornment inside & outside.

It would be of value to some to really take a look at the system they gather for worship under, especially if it includes an altar. Some do not know what they are doing or worshiping and the flesh loves that rotten fruit. Watch the pastors, leaders, people... they reverence the objects.


17*Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
 
The cross is the murder weapon they used to torture our Lord Savior, if He had been shot by gun, would people where little gun symbols? Like some others, i would rather glorify His resurrection. i'm not saying crosses are wrong, but i don't think Christ Jesus likes crosses.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JaumeJ
The cross is the murder weapon they used to torture our Lord Savior, if He had been shot by gun, would people where little gun symbols? Like some others, i would rather glorify His resurrection. i'm not saying crosses are wrong, but i don't think Christ Jesus likes crosses.

I agree. If an electric chair had been in vogue back then, would people make that into bling and hang it around their necks?
 
  • Like
Reactions: JaumeJ
I'm sure there is a way to design a tomb with a stone rolled away - at least I can picture it in my mind. If I had one and I wore it - and someone ask me about it - I would say that it's a representation of our risen Lord. . . . not too much of a mouthful. Actually, I like wearing a dove - the symbol of the Holy Spirit. I also like the idea of an anchor - Jesus Christ death and resurrection - the anchor of my soul, anchoring me in my walk with hope of resurrected life. :)
Something like this?

stonependant.jpg
 
umm..that looks like a pie pan to me. Guess it could be a convo starter..
 
The cross is an instrument of execution used by the Romans and only purpose is as a symbol to remind people of the sacrifice Jesus made when he was executed by the Romans.
I don't see it as a problem unless people are actually worshiping the cross in which it then becomes an idol.


Where does it say in the Bible Jesus was executed, murdered or killed?
 

Here is one of the places it is written quoted from the Master, Himself.



Mat 17:22
And while they abode in Galilee, Jesus said unto them, The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men:

Mat 17:23
And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.



Where does it say in the Bible Jesus was executed, murdered or killed?
 









Mat 17:22
And while they abode in Galilee, Jesus said unto them, The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men:

Mat 17:23
And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.


Jesus says in red in John 10.17-18, that no man took his life...he gave it freely.

[SUP]17 [/SUP]Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
[SUP]18 [/SUP]No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

When we suggest the Romans or the Jews executed, murdered or killed Jesus. It may seem I am playing semantics or splitting frog hairs, but Jesus was not killed and no man took his life from him, the Romans did not execute him and the Jews did not murder or kill him, he laid himself down.

I hope you see where I am going here...and that I am not engaging in semantics to just start debate or arguments. :-)
 
Perhaps because a cross is pretty easy to design and make. How do you design a tomb with the stone rolled away so you can wear it around your neck? I can imagine someone having one and a person asks so what's that around your neck and your like its a symbol of the tomb with the stone rolled away lol...a bit of a mouthful :)

What if Christ had been electrocuted, would people wear a representation of "Old Sparky" on a chain around their neck?
 
No argument, I simply complied with your request. The word, killed, is used by our Lord. It is also written that he would be killed by His own people, His own tribe. It is also said He would die at the hands of sinners.

We, all sinners, killed Christ. He did lay down HIs life freely because He is God. God does what pleases Him, and it pleases Him to save souls by laying down his life. He was tried and convicted though by the authority of Pontius Pilate and the insistence of the Pharisees.

This is not an argument by any means, it is all in the Word. To entertain that He was not killed is moot because He allowed them to kill Him.

If you believe by laying down His life willingly they did not kill Him, that is, if this is the way you understand it, that is just fine, as long as you know He did all to fulfill all righteousness.

Remember in the garden He did ask for that cup to pass from Him were it possible, demonstrating just how grave He viewed it, and how wonderful our Lord is. A

ll praise and glory to God, amen.


Jesus says in red in John 10.17-18, that no man took his life...he gave it freely.

[SUP]17 [/SUP]Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
[SUP]18 [/SUP]No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

When we suggest the Romans or the Jews executed, murdered or killed Jesus. It may seem I am playing semantics or splitting frog hairs, but Jesus was not killed and no man took his life from him, the Romans did not execute him and the Jews did not murder or kill him, he laid himself down.

I hope you see where I am going here...and that I am not engaging in semantics to just start debate or arguments. :-)
 
i see a Maltese cross shape here which i did have on a necklace and never realised it was such. Ive always been taught the cross is a pagan symbol but after doing my research its very probable christ was put on one. Id wear across as a symbol of my christian faith but never a crucifix version. My research also came up with the idea early christians wore a fish symbol so they could be recognised by other believers, the cross was much later adopted.

 
In every case where the word "cross" is used in the Bible it is translated from the word...

G4716
σταυρός
stauros
stow-ros'
From the base of G2476; a stake or post (as set upright), that is, (specifically) a pole or cross (as an instrument of capital punishment); figuratively exposure to death, that is, self denial; by implication the atonement of Christ: - cross.

Thayer has it...

G4716
σταυρός
stauros
Thayer Definition:
1) an upright stake, especially a pointed one
2) a cross
2a) a well known instrument of most cruel and ignominious punishment, borrowed by the Greeks and Romans from the Phoenicians; to it were affixed among the Romans, down to the time of Constantine the Great, the guiltiest criminals, particularly the basest slaves, robbers, the authors and abetters of insurrections, and occasionally in the provinces, at the arbitrary pleasure of the governors, upright and peaceable men also, and even Roman citizens themselves
2b) the crucifixion which Christ underwent
Part of Speech: noun masculine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: from the base of G2476
Citing in TDNT: 7:572, 1071

It is very possible and even likely that Christ was put to death on an upright pale. The Romans used several variations and an upright stake with the hands nailed above the head was one of those. The Greek word that comes down to us suggests this.
 
The following quotes offer information to meditate on.

“Various objects, dating from periods long anterior to the Christian era, have been found, marked with crosses of different designs, in almost every part of the old world. India, Syria, Persia and Egypt have all yielded numberless examples . . . The use of the cross as a religious symbol in pre-Christian times and among non-Christian peoples may probably be regarded as almost universal, and in very many cases it was connected with some form of nature worship.”—Encyclopædia Britannica (1946), Vol. 6, p. 753.

“The shape of the [two-beamed cross] had its origin in ancient Chaldea, and was used as the symbol of the god Tammuz (being in the shape of the mystic Tau, the initial of his name) in that country and in adjacent lands, including Egypt. By the middle of the 3rd cent. A.D. the churches had either departed from, or had travestied, certain doctrines of the Christian faith. In order to increase the prestige of the apostate ecclesiastical system pagans were received into the churches apart from regeneration by faith, and were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols. Hence the Tau or T, in its most frequent form, with the cross-piece lowered, was adopted to stand for the cross of Christ.”—An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words (London, 1962), W. E. Vine, p. 256.

“It is strange, yet unquestionably a fact, that in ages long before the birth of Christ, and since then in lands untouched by the teaching of the Church, the Cross has been used as a sacred symbol. . . . The Greek Bacchus, the Tyrian Tammuz, the Chaldean Bel, and the Norse Odin, were all symbolised to their votaries by a cruciform device.”—The Cross in Ritual, Architecture, and Art (London, 1900), G. S. Tyack, p. 1.

“The cross in the form of the ‘Crux Ansata’ . . . was carried in the hands of the Egyptian priests and Pontiff kings as the symbol of their authority as priests of the Sun god and was called ‘the Sign of Life.’”—The Worship of the Dead (London, 1904), Colonel J. Garnier, p. 226.

“Various figures of crosses are found everywhere on Egyptian monuments and tombs, and are considered by many authorities as symbolical either of the phallus [a representation of the male sex organ] or of coition. . . . In Egyptian tombs the crux ansata [cross with a circle or handle on top] is found side by side with the phallus.”—A Short History of Sex-Worship (London, 1940), H. Cutner, pp. 16, 17; see also The Non-Christian Cross, p. 183.

“These crosses were used as symbols of the Babylonian sun-god, and are first seen on a coin of Julius Cæsar, 100-44 B.C., and then on a coin struck by Cæsar’s heir (Augustus), 20 B.C. On the coins of Constantine the most frequent symbol is but the same symbol is used without the surrounding circle, and with the four equal arms vertical and horizontal; and this was the symbol specially venerated as the ‘Solar Wheel’. It should be stated that Constantine was a sun-god worshipper, and would not enter the ‘Church’ till some quarter of a century after the legend of his having seen such a cross in the heavens.”—The Companion Bible, Appendix No. 162; see also The Non-Christian Cross, pp. 133-141
 
I don't think anyone understands that the cross can mean so much more than the symbol of His death. I rather have the cross than a stone rolling away because I see it differently. I'm actually glad that we have the symbol of the cross for Christianity. Because it tells the gospel by two sticks. If anyone wants to see my perspective on it, just ask! Know that this is how I see it. I rather message it since its so special to me :)
 
Last edited by a moderator: