Is The Earth Flat Or Round?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is The Earth Flat Or Round?

• Total voters

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Fortunately for the Proclaimers, they can go for a walk without crashing into the ice wall.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I believe eyewitnesses. That's what the gospels are, eyewitness accounts. If you doubt the people
who have seen the globe earth from the moon, you have no justification for believing the Bible.
Accepting one eye witness account as being true does not mean we must accept all claims of eye witness accounts as being true. Anyone can claim to have seen something. Who and what we accept as authoritative eye witness accounts regarding Scripture has little bearing on the veracity of any other so-called eye-witness account.

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Beside that, the utter disrespect shown for our own Christian heritage turns my stomach.
We have enough of that kind of attack from outside sources.
Please explain.

Not with anger. :mad:

Not with sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Just explain in specific detail what you are referring to here. :cool:

Thanks. :)

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Do you disbelieve what your eyes tell you because it doesn't match your position? How then can you possibly learn anything?
There is no conflict between my position and what my eyes tell me.

I learn by paying attention to what my eyes and mind tell me - and, by trusting in what the Bible says...

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
How so?

Did the earth stop rotating - go backwards - then forwards again - just to move the shadow on a sundial back 10 degrees?

How did all of that happen without anyone feeling/sensing/noticing it?
God the Father can manipulate time. He did so several occasions.

He can leave you in time but take your shoes out of time so that you age but your shoes never wear out because they are not in time.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
God the Father can manipulate time. He did so several occasions.

He can leave you in time but take your shoes out of time so that you age but your shoes never wear out because they are not in time.
That's insightful.
Their shoes did not wear out those forty years. I never thought about the way God might have done it. However He does things is far beyond my understanding. For instance timing that is far too "coincidental" to be coincidental.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
That's insightful.
Their shoes did not wear out those forty years. I never thought about the way God might have done it. However He does things is far beyond my understanding. For instance timing that is far too "coincidental" to be coincidental.
Those sound like divine appointments…events scheduled and released at a certain time….. clockwork…all fell into place perfectly.

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
it is written: But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strife.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
There is no conflict between my position and what my eyes tell me.

I learn by paying attention to what my eyes and mind tell me - and, by trusting in what the Bible says...
As do I. The difference is that I don't allow misinterpretations of either to dictate my views of the other. ;)

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Accepting one eye witness account as being true does not mean we must accept all claims of eye witness accounts as being true. Anyone can claim to have seen something. Who and what we accept as authoritative eye witness accounts regarding Scripture has little bearing on the veracity of any other so-called eye-witness account.
Surely it depends on the reliability of the witness? If I asked a drug addled drunk the same question as a police officer trained in observation, I would trust the police officer. If there were several witnesses, all sober and responsible people, I would find their accounts compelling.

The key word is "so-called". An eye witness is an eye witness and sees what they see. Now they may lie about what they see, or misinterpret what they see, which is why evidence is tested.

In the case of global earth, the evidence is overwhelming that it is, in fact, a globe. Eyewitnesses are just one more support to the global earth case. It was known to be a globe about 2,300 years ago. Nothing has come to light that would prove that the earth is not a globe.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Surely it depends on the reliability of the witness? If I asked a drug addled drunk the same question as a police officer trained in observation, I would trust the police officer. If there were several witnesses, all sober and responsible people, I would find their accounts compelling.

The key word is "so-called". An eye witness is an eye witness and sees what they see. Now they may lie about what they see, or misinterpret what they see, which is why evidence is tested.

In the case of global earth, the evidence is overwhelming that it is, in fact, a globe. Eyewitnesses are just one more support to the global earth case. It was known to be a globe about 2,300 years ago. Nothing has come to light that would prove that the earth is not a globe.
I was simply saying that accepting the eye witness accounts of Scripture
does not mean we must accept all other claims of eye witness accounts.

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
I have solved the problem.

Why dont flat earthers simply get a go pro cam a parachute and a weather balloon.
Set it up so the camera records its ascent up to the edge of space where the balloon will burst and drop the camera back to earth. Then post the photos online.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015

Why dont flat earthers simply get a go pro cam a parachute and a weather balloon.
Set it up so the camera records its ascent up to the edge of space where the balloon will burst and drop the camera back to earth. Then post the photos online.
They could also resolve the issue by having someone in Australia, Southern Africa, or Southern South America take dawn, noon, and sunset photos of the same location on a sunny day. The photos would show the Northward shadows in morning and evening, and Southward during the day.

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
They could also resolve the issue by having someone in Australia, Southern Africa, or Southern South America take dawn, noon, and sunset photos of the same location on a sunny day. The photos would show the Northward shadows in morning and evening, and Southward during the day.
They could also rent a 747 and fly over the south pole from Puerto Williams Chili to Hobart Tasmania.

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
Please explain.

Not with anger. :mad:

Not with sarcasm. :rolleyes:

Just explain in specific detail what you are referring to here. :cool:

Thanks. :)
How much detail?
There isn't much point in me posting the biography & writings of Johannes Kepler, Sir Isaac Newton or Cpt James Cook
when you can look them up yourself. Or of posting the famous Earthrise photo. If some FE guru has convinced you the
purpose of all science & exploration has been to hide the true shape of the Earth, it's worth nothing to you anyway.

The pioneering work of previous generations is a rich heritage. A heritage that is in this generation, under constant attack
by the likes of BLM activists & other cultural Marxists. Now we have an earthshape faction making revisions.
There is a severe lack of respect for our elders (as the adage goes) in play.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
The Bible does not say the Earth is flat :)
The Bible does not say "the Earth is flat" - no; however, it does indicate that it is by the way it describes the earth. :)

It most definitely does not describe it as "a spinning ball flying through space"... :rolleyes:

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us

Been done several times - you can see the videos on youtube.

GaryA

Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
Yes - I wish someone would!

(Someone I could trust to do it very honestly. And, I would probably want them to do a few other things while they were at it...)