Is The Earth Flat Or Round?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Is The Earth Flat Or Round?

• Total voters

GaryA

Truth, Honesty, Love, Courage
Aug 10, 2019
mywebsite.us
I was fortunate enough to visit Niagara Falls one time and it is breathtaking. But the thing that left the deepest impression upon me was the noise. Crashing water is LOUD.
No doubt the visitor center sold ear plugs...?

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Quoting Gabrielle Henriet, “The theory of the rotation of the earth may once and for all be definitely disposed of as impracticable by pointing out the following inadvertence. It is said that the rotation takes twenty-four hours and that its speed is uniform, in which case, necessarily, days and nights should have an identical duration of twelve hours each all the year round. The sun should invariably rise in the morning and set in the evening at the same hours, with the result that it would be the equinox every day from the 1st of January to the 31st of December. One should stop and reflect on this before saying that the earth has a movement of rotation. How does the system of gravitation account for the seasonal variations in the lengths of days and nights if the earth rotates at a uniform speed in twenty-four hours!?”

View attachment 246810
Another fatuous and false claim. The earth is at an angle, about 23.5 degrees. That is the reason for seasons and changes in the length of daylight throughout the year.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
Are you including Buzz Aldrin among those you accuse me of slandering? 'Cause Buzz Aldrin admitted he didn't go to the moon. So not really slander in his case. ;-)

But that would make it slander in your case, for accusing me of slander. ;-)
Except Buzz Aldrin did not say the moon landing was a fake. Like I said, any video can be edited. This is the original video.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Except Buzz Aldrin did not say the moon landing was a fake. Like I said, any video can be edited. This is the original video.

The video was not edited, other than that irrelevant parts to the point were removed, so people with limited time could see this is something Buzz Aldrin said, without getting caught up in the uninteresting noise. From about 7:00...

The girl said "Why has nobody been to the moon in such a long time?"

Buzz Aldrin replied "That's not an 8-year-old's question. That's my question. I want to know. But I think I know. Because we didn't go there. That's the way it happened. And if it didn't happen it's nice to know why it didn't happen so in the future if we want to keep doing something we need to know why something stopped in the past if we want to keep it going."

I repeat - Buzz Aldrin admitted he did not go to the moon. If he didn't go to the moon, but NASA claim there was a moon landing, the only logical conclusion to be drawn is that the moon landing was faked. Buzz couldn't say it outright, because that's the sort of thing astro-nots from NASA have been killed for in the past. Nonetheless, he admitted that he didn't go to the moon.

lonelysummer

Nov 30, 2022
Why is it so hard to believe men walked on the moon, yet we don't question the idea of God becoming man and walking among us? If the Earth is flat, why don't we ever hear about plans flying off the edge of it, or at least into the ice wall that surrounds Antarctica? Do people really expect to see the curvature of the earth when they look into the horizon? Do you have any idea how large our planet is? It's at least a little bigger than a basketball.
I think some people cling to these strange beliefs because they look around the world, they don't like what they see, and, well, anything we're taught by "the world" can't be good or right, can it? I mean, the whole world out there is evil, right? And even most people who call themselves christians are just sinners trying to get a free pass to heaven. They want to do the crime - sinning here on earth - but they don't want to do the time - never ending, conscious eternal torment in the lake of fire. Yeah, just throw out everything your parents and your teachers taught you because they're all hellfire breathing demons trying to drag you down to hell. They're all freemasons and satanists.
So we look to the Bible and see references to "the ends of the earth", "four corners of the earth" and we think we're reading a science book.
That gets back to the idea that we were supposed to take every word of the Bible literally.
If that's the case, then I better gouge out my eyes, because Jesus says if I man finds a woman attractive, it would be better for him to gouge out his eyes than have his eyes cause him to sin - and men being attracted to women is sinful. Hey, I better cut off my arms, too, I might do something sinful with them.
And our churches sure are full of divorced people these days. I guess we don't take seriously Jesus' commandments regarding remarriage.
I don't know where I'm going with this, just that i don't think we have to take all of these passages literally. There are stories offered to us in the Bible for edification, to learn from. Does there have to be a historical Prodigal Son for us to gain something from that story? Do they have to be actual pillars of the earth for us to believe God created our world and all the creatures in it?

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
Why is it so hard to believe men walked on the moon, yet we don't question the idea of God becoming man and walking among us? If the Earth is flat, why don't we ever hear about plans flying off the edge of it, or at least into the ice wall that surrounds Antarctica? Do people really expect to see the curvature of the earth when they look into the horizon? Do you have any idea how large our planet is? It's at least a little bigger than a basketball.
I think some people cling to these strange beliefs because they look around the world, they don't like what they see, and, well, anything we're taught by "the world" can't be good or right, can it? I mean, the whole world out there is evil, right? And even most people who call themselves christians are just sinners trying to get a free pass to heaven. They want to do the crime - sinning here on earth - but they don't want to do the time - never ending, conscious eternal torment in the lake of fire. Yeah, just throw out everything your parents and your teachers taught you because they're all hellfire breathing demons trying to drag you down to hell. They're all freemasons and satanists.
So we look to the Bible and see references to "the ends of the earth", "four corners of the earth" and we think we're reading a science book.
That gets back to the idea that we were supposed to take every word of the Bible literally.
There are too many points to debate here, so I'm not going to try (the tactic is known as "elephant hurling"). Suffice it to say, those who believe in Flat Earth do so against the bulk of society and all propaganda to the contrary. There is a valid reason they do so - because they have critically examined the evidence for ball-Earth, and find it lacking, so go with their observation and what scripture implies - that Earth is flat.

If that's the case, then I better gouge out my eyes, because Jesus says if I man finds a woman attractive, it would be better for him to gouge out his eyes than have his eyes cause him to sin - and men being attracted to women is sinful. Hey, I better cut off my arms, too, I might do something sinful with them.
This is another misunderstanding of scripture, I believe. Men find women attractive - that's how God designed us, and is not a sin. Jesus said "whoever lusts after a woman has committed adultery with her in his heart." Lust isn't about finding a woman attractive - it's about desiring to have intimate relations with her without regard to her, her husband or ones' self (and usually, in my opinion, it is only fear that prevents the desire turning into action - fear of the woman's rejection of the advance, fear of the husband's response to the violation of his wife, fear of being caught etc.)

And our churches sure are full of divorced people these days. I guess we don't take seriously Jesus' commandments regarding remarriage.
Matthew 21:31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

I don't know where I'm going with this, just that i don't think we have to take all of these passages literally. There are stories offered to us in the Bible for edification, to learn from. Does there have to be a historical Prodigal Son for us to gain something from that story? Do they have to be actual pillars of the earth for us to believe God created our world and all the creatures in it?
The prodigal son was a parable. God's descriptions of how He created the Earth is not.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I don't know where I'm going with this, just that i don't think we have to take all of these passages literally. There are stories offered to us in the Bible for edification, to learn from.
I agree, but when Jesus was telling a non-literal story, the context made it pretty clear. We must base our understanding on the context of the Bible, not the faulty wisdom of man or his prevailing opinions. We should take Bible things literally when there is no biblical reason or evidence to the contrary.