Thanks for giving me the chance to share!
Sounds wonderful, and like you have a pretty sensible attitude about it.
Thanks for giving me the chance to share!
I would say we've come close, for goodness sake. Christ's coming fulfilled the covenant. Certainly we're not done yet. Oh well.
Right, so that's why I do both.
How does it not glorify God for Jews to go through these rituals they never understood before and now fully do because they've accepted Christ and recognize Him as their Messiah? What in the world? Why do we have to tear down what these people choose to do as a result of their tremendous joy at their recognition of their Lord and Savior? They are doing nothing but celebrating the fulfillment of these rituals. How about we leave them alone? I'm honestly beginning to wonder about most of the Christian world. If we attack Jews when they return to Christ unless they worship exactly like we do, there's something awfully wrong with us.
Before you back out help me to understand what it is you actually do. I used to go to a messianic congregation and really liked it; more than any place I've ever been. The different songs and customs were refreshing, and I felt like part of the family. Are you referring to something more than this?
God's Teaching and Instructions found in the Old Testament.
Our family start the Sabbath Friday at sundown. I don't do any work for profit or gain either at my job or around the house. We have special times of prayer and reading over my kids. We go to church Saturday morning which pretty much is an all-day thing (At least 6 hours or so).
So we have extra times of worship, study, prayer and fellowship that we don't get during the rest of the week. The Sabbath is a time to rest from my work, my desires, my plans and the things that have weighed heavily on my heart and mind. And instead, I focus on serving others all day physically and spiritually.
We do a Passover Seder and dinner, which isn't Biblical, but traditional.
We go 7 days without anything with yeast or leaven in it, and make a point to eat some kind of unleavened bread every day.
I take the sabbath days of rest off for the 1st and last days, and we meet as a church on those days in fellowship.
This is also called Shavuot, or Pentecost, or the Feast of Firstfruits. We meet together as a church and share the fruit of our lives physically and spiritually, either through testimonies, songs, skits or anything else people feel lead to contribute.
This is my favorite one: Sukkot, Feast of Tabernacles, or the Feast of Booths. This is an 8-day Feast where we camp out in some way either in tents or campers or just sleeping bags.
We all camp out on our church property all over the place. We usually hold 1-2 services every day with community meals and lots of activities and events. I've been blessed to take the whole 8 days off.
so who do you tithe to. Since the office of levitical priest has been done away with?
No.do you make use of Oral Torah as well?
What kind of "Rabbi" are you thinking of here? We have our main Pastor/Rabbi/Teacher, as well as myself and another Associate Pastor.do you have Rabbis for instructors?
Yes. Although we don't make a distinction for those.have you ever heard of the Seven Laws of Noah?
Our church. To our High Priest, Yeshua of the Order of Melchizedek, who has made us into a holy priesthood.
The law does not command this. Now I believe your making a mockery of the law.
do you even understand what the tithe was?
Etermally Grateful, you keep talking about not doing as a good thing. You compare it to a relationship with a husband. You could be the best wife possible, doing and doing for your husband but not love him so it would cancel out being a good wife. But if you love your husband it would include doing for him if you could.
I can just see a wife whose part of the marriage is being home and keeping it up, but saying I love you dear, so I don't have to make dinner to prove it.
You are suggesting that acts of worship only lead to lack of worship. I don't think that is good thinking. Lack of loving the Lord is just that, not loving the Lord. Whether you act that out or don't act that out does not change it. If fact, there is a possibility that acting as if you do could, possibly, lead to actually loving Him.
If we go to the original Hebrew much of our scripture was written in, they didn't have words in the abstract as our languages do. Such as love or faith always included doing. They understood these things ion the abstract as we do, but it always included how they were acted out. Our languages are not completing the thought as it was originally given.
you're not supposed to go anywhere on sabbath Matt.
how far away is your church?
doesn't anyone do any work at Church?
6 hours at church on the sabbath and no one is working?
where does the Law say work not-for-gain.
it says DO NO WORK. period.
doesn't it?
I'm not sure what you mean by this.i mean, this is fine and God bless you in it - but please don't tell me you're keeping Sinai sabbath!![]()
Yes I do work on the Sabbath by doing many of the things I've mentioned.how do you serve others physically all day?
do you do any work?
what do you eat?
and why?
Exodus 12:18-20 "In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at evening, you shall eat unleavened bread, until the twenty-first day of the month at evening.19 Seven days there shall be no leaven found in your houses; for whoever eats what is leavened, that person shall be cut off from the congregation of Israel, whether he is an alien or a native of the land.20 You shall not eat anything leavened; in all your dwellings you shall eat unleavened bread.”
again...you said you go out all day on the 7th day.
you do things. i guess you get around it by saying it is not work-for-gain?
its fine for your choice of lifestyle.
What did God command to be brought for this Feast? Did EVERYONE have to bring only their own wheat?okay.
but this is not what God commanded the people to bring to Him for firstfruits.
well, He specifically said booths. and He ordered particular structures, and specific plants hung in them.
really, you're just camping and calling it Sukkot.
you're breaking the Laws of Sukkot, Matt.
maybe even making a mockery of them.
this was LAW.
you said you've been doing this for 9 years, so i hardly see you're without excuse for not doing it as commanded.
you're doing something else and calling it the Feast of the The Lord.
none of those things are in the Law.
i'd be rather concerned about doing THAT.
changing His Laws like that.
The law does not command this. Now I believe your making a mockery of the law.
do you even understand what the tithe was?
Are you kidding? This tells me where we're at.
Etermally Grateful, you keep talking about not doing as a good thing. You compare it to a relationship with a husband. You could be the best wife possible, doing and doing for your husband but not love him so it would cancel out being a good wife. But if you love your husband it would include doing for him if you could.
I can just see a wife whose part of the marriage is being home and keeping it up, but saying I love you dear, so I don't have to make dinner to prove it.
You are suggesting that acts of worship only lead to lack of worship. I don't think that is good thinking. Lack of loving the Lord is just that, not loving the Lord. Whether you act that out or don't act that out does not change it. If fact, there is a possibility that acting as if you do could, possibly, lead to actually loving Him.
If we go to the original Hebrew much of our scripture was written in, they didn't have words in the abstract as our languages do. Such as love or faith always included doing. They understood these things ion the abstract as we do, but it always included how they were acted out. Our languages are not completing the thought as it was originally given.
Apparently, I don't understand what you're getting at. Would you mind showing what the Torah instructs for tithes and offerings?
Thanks in advance!
Matt
Are you kidding? This tells me where we're at.