Is the Holy Spirit at work today

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DaivdM

no you tested God not your faith.... this is what the Bible says is testing your faith:

James 1:2-4
New King James Version (NKJV)
2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. 4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Revelation 2:10
Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

anyways its between you and God. He knows your heart and your motives. it is just a warning,

do you do it FOR God or do you seek what God can do FOR you?

that is not a question you have to answer to me and neither is it an accusation, just a question everyone should ask themselves when they seek signs and wonders with their prayers.

James 4:3-5
New King James Version (NKJV)
3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4 Adulterers and[a] adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, “The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously”?

Tell me.. Do you make your own trials?
James 1:2-4
That is God testing your faith... Not yourself
I tested my faith by asking God.. Not because I need evidence or anything, but to see if my faith is growing, cuz I didn't have enought faith in the past.... and yes God knowns my heart
and Yes, I did it to see my faith.. If you called like you said... To see if God can do something for you... call it like that if you want..

Apr 13, 2011
always back to the OT when God was using prophets as messengers and even mediators.....tsk tsk.......shrooman. can't be twistin' like dat.
Not twistin'. Agabus was not OT. Read your bible, zone. Also:

Acts 15:32 And Judas and Silas, being prophets also themselves, exhorted the brethren with many words, and confirmed them.
Titus 1:12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.

Hebrews 1
The Supremacy of God’s Son
1Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. 3He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.

Agabus was a prophet cuz he was ordained to help lay the foundation shroomdaddy. that was a LONG time ago now. the prophets worked with the Apostles, who had to have seen the resurrected Christ.
Why did they "had to have seen the resurrected Christ"? An apostle does not have to have seen Christ.

Eph 2:20
Together, we are his house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus himself.

1 Corinthians 3:9
For we [Paul and the others] are God's fellow workers; you [the sheepies] are God's field, God's building.

1 Corinthians 3:10
By the grace God has given me, I [Paul] laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else [the sheepies] is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds.

1 Corinthians 3:11
For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.
If Jesus had already laid the foundation (which he did), what were Paul and the others doing? Your reasoning is flawed, zone.

one time. mission accomplished.
delivered, signed and sealed.
era ended.
gifts and offices ceased. simple.
Jesus Christ laid the foundation, but the church still needs nurturing. Hence the gift ministries.

Eph 4:
12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13) Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

anywaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayz, in this supposed manifestation that edifies, does the "prophet" get a message directly from God about......the church? the pastor? one person?
As I have already said, the manifestation of prophesy is for the body of believers present. It will always be words of comfort or exhortation.

does he get it spontaneously in service, or like the night before?
It is inspired, as he is speaking.

does the guy say "Thus saith The Lord"? is it spoken First Person [Jesus] verbatim?
I have never heard "Thus saith the Lord". It can be first person or third person.

is it new revelation, like : God says He will do this and this for the church etc?
It is never new revelation. It is always comfort or exhortation.

how often does it happen at your church? are there resident prophets or can anybody do it?
We have manifestations at every meeting. Usually two or three, as instructed in the bible. Any instructed believer can do it.

is the prophecy spoken in glossolalia or english?
Prophesy is always English (in English speaking groups). It would be useless if nobody understood.

could you type a sample of what a prophecy would be like?
Not gonna do that, zonester.

thx mr. sroom.
from the zone.
You're welcome. (it's shroom, not sroom. You always leave out the 'h')

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Not twistin'. Agabus was not OT. Read your bible, zone.
As I mentioned, like when Nathan confronted David about sleeping with Bathsheba and having Uriah killed.
i meant nathan. can't use nathan or the OT guys. different epoch, different ministries.

Acts 21
7When we had finished the voyage from Tyre, we arrived at Ptolemais, and we greeted the brothersb and stayed with them for one day. 8On the next day we departed and came to Caesarea, and we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him. 9He had four unmarried daughters, who prophesied. 10While we were staying for many days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11And coming to us, he took Paul’s belt and bound his own feet and hands and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘This is how the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’” 12When we heard this, we and the people there urged him not to go up to Jerusalem. 13Then Paul answered, “What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” 14And since he would not be persuaded, we ceased and said, “Let the will of the Lord be done.”

ya...and philip's daughters were prophetesses too.
all still the original crew shroom.

nothing to do with Smallville USA 2011. foundation isn't being laid continually cuz we have the scriptures.

Acts 15:32 And Judas and Silas, being prophets also themselves, exhorted the brethren with many words, and confirmed them.
Titus 1:12 One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies.)
ya? and?

Why did they "had to have seen the resurrected Christ"? An apostle does not have to have seen Christ.
ya they did. they were the witnesses that He had risen.
they were able to appoint others.

If Jesus had already laid the foundation (which he did), what were Paul and the others doing? Your reasoning is flawed, zone.
receiving new revelation and writing it down.
its our Bible.

Jesus Christ laid the foundation, but the church still needs nurturing. Hence the gift ministries..
nope.
Jesus and the prophets and apostles: the foundation.

church gets nourished by the preaching of the word under a pastor-teacher (Timothy) and taking communion.

dont need partial gifts (which are not the real ones anyways).

Eph 4:
12) For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13) Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:)
ya.
and if we did what we are supposed to do, meet daily and continue in the Apostle's doctrine we would be unified. but we don't. this is the eschaton - we're in a state of apsotasy.

s'why i study and watch and pray daily.

okay on the rest.

anyhoo.
ciao.

Apr 13, 2011
i meant nathan. can't use nathan or the OT guys. different epoch, different ministries.
A prophet is a prophet. One who speaks for God. That doesn't change.

Acts 21
7When we had finished the voyage from Tyre, we arrived at Ptolemais, and we greeted the brothersb and stayed with them for one day. 8On the next day we departed and came to Caesarea, and we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him. 9He had four unmarried daughters, who prophesied. 10While we were staying for many days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. 11And coming to us, he took Paul’s belt and bound his own feet and hands and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘This is how the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’” 12When we heard this, we and the people there urged him not to go up to Jerusalem. 13Then Paul answered, “What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” 14And since he would not be persuaded, we ceased and said, “Let the will of the Lord be done.”

ya...and philip's daughters were prophetesses too.
all still the original crew shroom.

nothing to do with Smallville USA 2011. foundation isn't being laid continually cuz we have the scriptures.
Yes. Jesus Christ laid the foundation. We already have it. Nobody is trying to lay a new foundation, or change it. But the church still needs nurturing and edifying, and the gift ministries are still in effect.

...just more examples of Christian prophets.

ya they did. they were the witnesses that He had risen.
they were able to appoint others.
What is your proof that apostles had to have physically seen Christ?

receiving new revelation and writing it down.
its our Bible.

nope.
Jesus and the prophets and apostles: the foundation.

church gets nourished by the preaching of the word under a pastor-teacher (Timothy) and taking communion.

dont need partial gifts (which are not the real ones anyways).
They are not "partial" gift ministries. I'm not even sure what that means.

ya.
and if we did what we are supposed to do, meet daily and continue in the Apostle's doctrine we would be unified. but we don't. this is the eschaton - we're in a state of apsotasy.
Yes, Christianity (the church) is in disarray. But this is not the eschaton, "the" apostasy.. That's still future.

s'why i study and watch and pray daily.
Good things to do....

okay on the rest.

anyhoo.
ciao.
later.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
A prophet is a prophet. One who speaks for God. That doesn't change.

Yes. Jesus Christ laid the foundation. We already have it. Nobody is trying to lay a new foundation, or change it. But the church still needs nurturing and edifying, and the gift ministries are still in effect.

What is your proof that apostles had to have physically seen Christ?

They are not "partial" gift ministries. I'm not even sure what that means.
Are there modern day prophets or is there a need for prophets today?

by Erin Benziger

Question: Are there modern day prophets or is there a need for prophets today?

Answer: In the New Testament, the gift of the office of prophet was a temporary one granted by God for the purpose of building His Church. Contrary to the apostles, who had broad ministries, these men had localized ministries within local churches, as we see illustrated in such places as Acts 11:21-28 and Acts 13:1.

Scripture shows us that the prophets of the New Testament had two primary purposes:
  • They were gifted men given to the Church and appointed by God (Eph. 4:11, 1 Cor. 12:28) for the purpose of helping to lay the foundation of the Church (Eph. 2:20).
  • They, like the apostles, received God’s revelation (Eph. 3:5) and truth and proclaimed it to their churches. It is important to remember that the early Church did not have a completed Bible, so God granted this revelation for the purpose of teaching His message to the Church. The New Testament prophets also spoke forth and taught the apostles’ doctrine. Everything taught by these prophets had to be consistent with the teaching of the apostles (1 Cor. 14:36-37).
So, are prophets still needed today? Looking at the two functions listed above, we can see that the office of prophet is one that is no longer necessary and has ceased within the Church because:
  • The foundation of the Church was laid long ago.
And
  • God’s revealed Word was completed with the close of the New Testament canon.
The Church’s foundation does not need to be laid again and there is no need for further revelation beyond what God has provided for us in His complete Word, the Bible. Today we are blessed to have Scripture as our complete and final authority in all things (2 Tim. 3:16-17). If someone now claims to have received a “special revelation,” we must test it against Scripture. If it is contrary to the Word of God, then it must be rejected. If it is consistent with Scripture, then we have to ask why an “extra” word was necessary if its truth is already contained in the Bible. So while we always need men who are willing to proclaim boldly the Word of God as contained in Scripture (as pastors, teachers, and evangelists), there is no need for the office of “prophet” as it existed in the New Testament.
Are there modern day prophets or is there a need for prophets today? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

D

DaivdM

by Erin Benziger

Answer: In the New Testament, the gift of the office of prophet was a temporary one granted by God for the purpose of building His Church. Contrary to the apostles, who had broad ministries, these men had localized ministries within local churches, as we see illustrated in such places as Acts 11:21-28 and Acts 13:1.

Scripture shows us that the prophets of the New Testament had two primary purposes:
  • They were gifted men given to the Church and appointed by God (Eph. 4:11, 1 Cor. 12:28) for the purpose of helping to lay the foundation of the Church (Eph. 2:20).
  • They, like the apostles, received God’s revelation (Eph. 3:5) and truth and proclaimed it to their churches. It is important to remember that the early Church did not have a completed Bible, so God granted this revelation for the purpose of teaching His message to the Church. The New Testament prophets also spoke forth and taught the apostles’ doctrine. Everything taught by these prophets had to be consistent with the teaching of the apostles (1 Cor. 14:36-37).
So, are prophets still needed today? Looking at the two functions listed above, we can see that the office of prophet is one that is no longer necessary and has ceased within the Church because:
  • The foundation of the Church was laid long ago.
And
  • God’s revealed Word was completed with the close of the New Testament canon.
The Church’s foundation does not need to be laid again and there is no need for further revelation beyond what God has provided for us in His complete Word, the Bible. Today we are blessed to have Scripture as our complete and final authority in all things (2 Tim. 3:16-17). If someone now claims to have received a “special revelation,” we must test it against Scripture. If it is contrary to the Word of God, then it must be rejected. If it is consistent with Scripture, then we have to ask why an “extra” word was necessary if its truth is already contained in the Bible. So while we always need men who are willing to proclaim boldly the Word of God as contained in Scripture (as pastors, teachers, and evangelists), there is no need for the office of “prophet” as it existed in the New Testament.
Are there modern day prophets or is there a need for prophets today? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
Wow, people, please stop listening to what other people write or say... Yes, there are prophets of God in this time.. Before peoploe tell you what to believe... Ask the Holy Spirit....

A

Abiding

Wow, people, please stop listening to what other people write or say... Yes, there are prophets of God in this time.. Before peoploe tell you what to believe... Ask the Holy Spirit....

Ok I asked....now what?

E

eternally-gratefull

Ok I asked....now what?
lol, have you got an answer yet? i asked awhile ago. still waiting?

or is it that no answer is a sign that the answer is no?

A

AnandaHya

Ok I asked....now what?
told me to test their words against scripture and if they pointed to JESUS and His salvation or to themselves and this world.

A

Abiding

If i was a new Christian and someone told me to go ask the Holyspirit
when i asked a question..i would be insulted. If i believed them then
id have to then make believe my random thoughts were the Spirit of God.
Where does this talk come from. Not from the bible. Surely the Holyspirit
will reveal truth...but that doesnt streamline our instructions to study, be
a workman rightly dividing the word, while we are hungering to know.
Nor does it cancel out the profit of discussions, Jesus engaged at this
as a small boy at the temple.

Last edited:

zone

Jun 13, 2010
told me to test their words against scripture and if they pointed to JESUS and His salvation or to themselves and this world.
actually, the Holy Spirit would not have given that answer.
He would have (presuming we have 2 way conversations with Him, which we DO NOT), He would have told you there are no more prophets today.

foundation laid.

A

AnandaHya

actually, the Holy Spirit would not have given that answer.
He would have (presuming we have 2 way conversations with Him, which we DO NOT), He would have told you there are no more prophets today.

foundation laid.
I was responding to Abiding's "now what" post and this question: "Before people tell you what to believe... Ask the Holy Spirit...."

Anyway, Before we believe what people tell us we should test it against scripture and see if their words point to Jesus or themselves and the world.

Apr 13, 2011

by Erin Benziger

Answer: In the New Testament, the gift of the office of prophet was a temporary one granted by God for the purpose of building His Church.
...didn't have to read any further. Ms. Benziger is wrong.

duewell

Mar 5, 2011
can the spirit speak to people through other people? could you be ever listening but never hearing? could you be always looking without seeing? what we seek is with us today as it was with us yesterday and will be tomorrow. think of the music you love. does the artist speak to you or does someone speak through the artist. as an example, there is a song sung by kermit the frog called the rainbow connection. jim henson sang the song through kermit, who is singing the song through jim henson? take your top 5 favorite songs you love the most. play them but this time when you listen to them look at your bible. remember, all things serve the Lord. it is only through God that we even experience love. the more something serves God the more people will love it. God is love. the only reason we love anything is that we are connecting with Gods love.

i could spend my life trying to explain it, and i will, but only Jesus can show it to you. repent of your sins and ask Jesus for help. the teachings of the new testament can be experienced by anyone, anywhere, at anytime. when you experience the Holy Spirit at work in the world, you will be led by the Spirit to put to death the sins of the flesh and then be born again of imperishable seed.

Duewell
follow with the faith of a child