Is the national debt a national sin?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Simple question, if borrowing money irresponsibly is a sin, is the national debt a national sin? Or, our nations money is no longer based on gold or treasure but debt, so how can we as a nation repay debt with debt?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I hardly think that Jesus died to cover a 'national sin' . Personally, I am not responsible for the national debt. How can this nation repay the enormous national debt? The answer is that it can't. The US can barely cover the interest costs let alone pay on the principal. This country will eventually reach a point where it can no longer borrow from other nations. At that point the US will be forced to default. The economic system will collapse in this country and severely impact other economies. The end result will be war. This scenario is likely to happen within 20 years.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Oh, thank you so much. Now I know I'n not going crazy. The government has decided that Corprations have the same rights as citizens except citizens can only donate a few thousand dollars to political campaigns while the large corps., money (that dosn't exist) can spend millions, maybe billions for polititcians to run up the national debt looking some boogie man to accuse of being the antichrist, it may not be a man at all. Since they've abolished the gold standard and replaced it with debt, it has turned the entire federal reserve system into a ponzie scheme. Doomed to fail.

The next logical step (to me) is an oil standard to achieve a word wide currency and government. the rest (I think) is in revelations. Gold would be worthless but don't spill the oil. cali bob

Musicus

Oct 26, 2017
Simple question, if borrowing money irresponsibly is a sin, is the national debt a national sin? Or, our nations money is no longer based on gold or treasure but debt, so how can we as a nation repay debt with debt?
Borrowing money itself isn't a sin. Reneging on a debt may be sinful though. Sin is tied rather closely to money to begin with. There is such a thing as national sin. God spoke of Nineveh's wickedness as if Nineveh were an entity, similar to how governments treat corporations. Israel sinned as a nation and was punished as a nation. Several times.

M

Miri

I don’t think national or personal debt is a sin. The bible has a lot
to say about debt in the context of forgiveness. Then there was also
all those laws about writing of debts and handing land back in the year of
Jubilee.

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Year-Of-Jubilee

In other words even if we loan a person something we do not own them and
should still exercise forgiveness and show mercy. Personally I have never loaned
anybody anything, I would rather give to someone in genuine need, rather than loan
them.

It’s far better however not to get into debt if you can. Having said that the whole
economy is based on debt, mortgages for buying houses, loans for cars.

Countries borrow and lend to each other etc.

What matters most is our own individual accountability to God and what we do
with God’s money. It’s never ours in the first place.

Nations are a different matter as I don’t think there are any nations who run
their country to God’s standards anymore.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
I hardly think that Jesus died to cover a 'national sin' . Personally, I am not responsible for the national debt. How can this nation repay the enormous national debt? The answer is that it can't. The US can barely cover the interest costs let alone pay on the principal. This country will eventually reach a point where it can no longer borrow from other nations. At that point the US will be forced to default. The economic system will collapse in this country and severely impact other economies. The end result will be war. This scenario is likely to happen within 20 years.
As far as I know, the US military budget is 48 percent of all countries combined in the world. I don't know why even the Cold War is over.

Have you seen how Russian military eliminated the terrorists' bases in Syria? Russia spent only 5 percent and yet it showed that its firepower can almost be compared to the US.

Lessen your military budget and you can pay the national debt and even fix some tottering infrastructures in the US.

Oh I nearly forget this is a forum and I have the right to post my views on any messages I see so please don't see this as interference on my part.

I really do not wish to see the US on decline or worse to collapse because the US is in fact our teacher and liberator of my country.

When the Spaniards made us mostly dumb when they were our colonizers, it was the Americans who mass educated my countrymen and liberated us from the Japs when my country became their colony/protectorate.

so you can't blame me why I have some concern for the US even it is not my home country. I know I am talking with my fellow Christians here so I expect they will understand me.

I do hope that the US will become great again not only in military but also in standard of living because I heard the standard of living in the US is also not good to the point that some Americans work 2-3 jobs to sustain their families.

Dec 12, 2013
I personally believe the current debt is the result of our government attempting to buy off and influence the nations and countries of the world...we have simply printed more dollars and used them to pay off and or influence these nations and it is tragic because every time they do this, the value of our currency drops....I try to pay cash for everything and only borrow on big ticket items.....currently my debt to income ratio is 20% and based upon real estate and not credit card debt which is no different (in a way)......I do not think it is a nation sin, just a national tragedy which will comeback to bite us.

Concerning NATIONAL salvation or not....God does separate the nations as one separates the goats and sheep so there does appear to be a judgment based upon how each nation treated and or dealt with Israel.....

Our money is no longer back by anything but a governmental promise which we all know is a farce....NO...we will never be able to pay it back and when the world drops the U.S. dollar as the world reserve currency.....we are done and instantly become a 3rd world nation.....I believe the prospects of a world war 3 to stop this process and or for some other reason are highly likely.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
Simple question, if borrowing money irresponsibly is a sin, is the national debt a national sin?
Since a corporation can borrow money on its assets which are owned by the stockholders, then how can a corporate borrow money irresponsibly since it could not theoretically borrow more money that it has the ability to pay back as determined by the value of it assets and liabilities.

So it couldn't be borrowing money irresponsibility that is a sin but rather loaning money irresponsibility which is the sin that results in the unpaid loan.

Or, our nations money is no longer based on gold or treasure but debt, so how can we as a nation repay debt with debt?
Our nation's money is based the promissory note of the Federal Reserve, which is based and regulated in part under the UN Treaty and the IMF. Our debt is paid from the revenues generated by the GNP of the United States based upon the value of the promissory note as determined by the Federal Reserve. So currently the value of our GNP in dollars is greater than the amount owed in dollars, and that is how we pay our debt.