Is there such a thing as an atheist?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Phil, I am just curious by what you mean when you said, "at least for now"?
Judging by the weekly cases of atheists trying to sue Christians into silence and the homosexuals trying to silence anyone who disagrees with them, it may not be long before Americans are living in an atheist/homosexual totalitarian country.

If that happens, the country would be ruled by lies as the atheist use the separation of church and state baloney and the homosexuals could not tell the truth if they tried.

A

AgeofKnowledge

As one of Napoleon's generals once pointed out, the church of God is an anvil that has broken many hammers. We've been through it many times before. When the church buries state atheistic empires that engage in sweeping and severe genocide, democide, persecution, etc... you know we "don't play." ;).

Judging by the weekly cases of atheists trying to sue Christians into silence and the homosexuals trying to silence anyone who disagrees with them, it may not be long before Americans are living in an atheist/homosexual totalitarian country.

If that happens, the country would be ruled by lies as the atheist use the separation of church and state baloney and the homosexuals could not tell the truth if they tried.

Dec 18, 2013
As one of Napoleon's generals once pointed out, the church of God is an anvil that has broken many hammers. We've been through it many times before. When the church buries state atheistic empires that engage in sweeping and severe genocide, democide, persecution, etc... you know we "don't play." ;).
Heh I would argue the Church needs not do anything. Atheists simply cannot properly govern countries, that is a proven fact time and times again. Everytime an atheist empire rises it crushes itself. No outside interference is needed.

And anyways, the advent of Atheist Empires are pretty much the new kid on the block and are only found in the 20th Century anyways (except the brief Communauts period of French Revolutionary history), and almost all of those have all ready crumbled to dust with the end of the Cold War. Pretty much only North Korea stands as the lone atheist hermit kingdom to this day and time, and they have pretty much destroyed their own state all ready.

A

AgeofKnowledge

It's true that in the 18th century a brief flirtation with an atheist state was followed by the Cult of the Supreme Being and the Reign of Terror in the period surrounding what we call the French Revolution but I think we can go back farther and follow threads on some level on a micro scale. For example, some ancient pigmy tribes were non-religious and so were the Vedahs of Ceylon but these do not correspond to state atheism as we understand it, of course.

So agreed. North Korea is really the last complete 20th century state atheist model though the totalitarian Marxist thread still manifests in China and a few other nations in the form of government interference with freedom of religion in a manner that permits only a handful of official state religions that exalt the state in a heretical manner to exist unmolested.

Heh I would argue the Church needs not do anything. Atheists simply cannot properly govern countries, that is a proven fact time and times again. Everytime an atheist empire rises it crushes itself. No outside interference is needed.

And anyways, the advent of Atheist Empires are pretty much the new kid on the block and are only found in the 20th Century anyways (except the brief Communauts period of French Revolutionary history), and almost all of those have all ready crumbled to dust with the end of the Cold War. Pretty much only North Korea stands as the lone atheist hermit kingdom to this day and time, and they have pretty much destroyed their own state all ready.

P

pastac

this is so long and drawn out now its almost a waste of time the op asked a question is there a such thing as an atheist as we have read the post we see it is so why is this still ongoing.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
this is so long and drawn out now its almost a waste of time the op asked a question is there a such thing as an atheist as we have read the post we see it is so why is this still ongoing.
Many reasons. The atheists think they can convince someone of the efficacy of their religion, so they invade other people's territories to try and evangelise them even though they go out of their way to stop others evangelising their religion.

One of the best ways to learn about the mindset of atheists is to engage them in discussion to learn if they have anything worth saying which most of the time they don't.

It gives you the opportunity to show them they are up the creek without a paddle and their vapid reasoning is childish in the extreme.

And of course you can bombard them with the truth that is found in scripture and explain why it is the truth and then let the Holy Spirit use it to work on them. At least they will not be able to say they never knew.

And finally, you find out that most atheists do not have a clue about what they believe as they all seem to parrot the same thing over and over again and as a result when you pose a question about creation and evolution which they should know the answer to if they ARE an atheist, their non answers show that they are atheists in name only.

P

pastac

But Jesus did not continue in dialogue with devils he commanded them to be silent he took authority over them by quoting scripture even when confronted by them he used few words he was not entering into long drawn out dissertations and such he was not that concerned with what they had to say from my teachings Just my observations and thoughts. Is this thread worth 118 pages I'm just saying

Timeline

Mar 20, 2014
But Jesus did not continue in dialogue with devils he commanded them to be silent he took authority over them by quoting scripture even when confronted by them he used few words he was not entering into long drawn out dissertations and such he was not that concerned with what they had to say from my teachings Just my observations and thoughts. Is this thread worth 118 pages I'm just saying
Luke 5:31 And Jesus answered and said to them, It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick.

P

pastac

118 pages on a question we know the answer to?

A

AgeofKnowledge

Atheists aren't demons. They are unregenerate (or apostate in the case of ex-Christians turned atheist) human beings.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Yes. never a truer word spoken in jest. And one thing is sure. Atheists never learn from history so they are consigned to repeat it.

mustaphadrink

Dec 13, 2013
Yes, we do know the answers to them, but unfortunately, whether atheists know the answers to them or not they are determined to push their fairy stories and expect intelligent people to believe them.

I have noticed that they have not answered one single question I have asked about evolution. I guess they can't when push comes to shove answer anything of any consequence.

Dec 9, 2013
Haha its an oxymoron.

No its simply a way to provide chaplain services to those with no religious affiliation.

Its about free-choice, if there are chaplains representing most religions then what about the non-religious, they also have the right to a chaplain as well.

The irony is that they should not use the title "chaplain" for someone non-religious

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Haha its an oxymoron.

No its simply a way to provide chaplain services to those with no religious affiliation.

Its about free-choice, if there are chaplains representing most religions then what about the non-religious, they also have the right to a chaplain as well.

The irony is that they should not use the title "chaplain" for someone non-religious

Please explain to me what "chaplain services" an atheist would want or require? Also, this new channel seems silly to me. All day long they are gonna talk about how there is no god? I truly, truly feel sorry for atheists.

Atheist TV: Coming soon to a television near you | Religion News Service

Dec 9, 2013
Please explain to me what "chaplain services" an atheist would want or require? Also, this new channel seems silly to me. All day long they are gonna talk about how there is no god? I truly, truly feel sorry for atheists.

Atheist TV: Coming soon to a television near you | Religion News Service
Well people see a chaplain for spiritual and emotional support. An atheist would go through the same struggles as anyone else, they might require emotional support from a mentor or counselor. Instead of relying on a god to help us cope we have to use other means.

In some ways I agree, an "atheist" tv channel is ridiculous. However, it is simply a response to the overwhelming amount of religious tv out there. As a growing minority wanting to speak their opinion and speak out against tradition this is another way to do it. Thankfully in America people have the right to broadcast anything they like which creates a free marketplace for ideas.

In Austin,Texas there is already a local atheist tv show called "The atheist experience".

Dont feel sorry for atheists, or they will start to feel sorry for you :)

Think of it this way we are just looking at it from two sides of the same coin.
You think a channel talking how there is no god is silly, well atheists think a channel devoted to praising an imaginary deity is also silly.

Judging gets us nowhere, lets find common ground then discuss our differences.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I've been on the edge of death, within minutes of being beyond help, and I might be there soon again. We are waiting on tests to see if it's cancer, as we suspect. There have already been two positive tests and those are usually 100% sensitive. And once it starts showing, it has usually metastasized.

I do not want to die. I will feel disappointed if I don't get to 40. The pain hasn't served any purpose and the symptoms haven't made me stronger. If the doctors are correct, the survival rate is 2/3 at 5 years.

And yet, having faced death once and possibly twice now, I do not feel as though there is a god. I hear people talking rapturously about their relationship, but I think they are incorrect. I think they are scared and are willing to cling to something that promises them eternal life.

It's not because I want to be in charge. I feel like a man looking at the blue sky, being told that it is yellow, and that his refusal to acknowledge it means he thinks he is god.

You are wrong about this. I once realized that I would not wake up and all I felt was peace. There was nothing to do, nothing to fear. Peace, like all the things I worried about no longer mattered. No future, no more pain. No god either.
You are correct in saying that without God there is no future. I have said a salvation prayer for you sir. God hears and answers all prayers. I will see you on the other side and we will discuss this further and at great length.

Aug 25, 2013
Well, some people truly do believe there is no such thing as a atheism. One of my English teachers during high school made this claim and I was totally dumbfounded when I heard this. I am glad that you are among the better informed and recognize that atheists do exist.