Is this normal?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 17, 2022
So lately I feel like I can't watch tv as much as I used to. I was watching an old episode of The Simpsons when Bart made a joke about people believing in a carpenter as their God. It definitely made me feel bad. Admittedly I finished the episode but now I don't really want to watch more of it. The difficult part is that pretty much every tv show makes fun of God in some way nowadays. It's so hard to find something decent. If it's not a joke about believing in Christ, it's about homosexuality being celebrated...those types of jokes just make me feel really bad.

Then I feel weird when girls at work talk about the latest tv show and I have no idea how to chat with them about it. I can't relate. It even happens with family. It makes you feel lonely actually. It's weird how involved tv and movies are with our culture huh? Does anyone else feel like this?

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
So lately I feel like I can't watch tv as much as I used to. I was watching an old episode of The Simpsons when Bart made a joke about people believing in a carpenter as their God. It definitely made me feel bad. Admittedly I finished the episode but now I don't really want to watch more of it. The difficult part is that pretty much every tv show makes fun of God in some way nowadays. It's so hard to find something decent. If it's not a joke about believing in Christ, it's about homosexuality being celebrated...those types of jokes just make me feel really bad.

Then I feel weird when girls at work talk about the latest tv show and I have no idea how to chat with them about it. I can't relate. It even happens with family. It makes you feel lonely actually. It's weird how involved tv and movies are with our culture huh? Does anyone else feel like this?
Yes...The same thing happened to me , and in the end , I gave my T.V up...Jesus is separating us from the world and it hurts sometimes because He even warned us that we will be disliked by our own family members...There are plenty of good Christian movies to watch on YouTube , Biblical docs that will ease you away from the world of T.V...It is a good thing that your spirit is sensitive to this matter , count it all joy :giggle:...

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

It's good that you can't watch what you used to. I never watched the Simpsons or South Park because I knew in my intuition that they were wicked. If my wife and I watch anything, it's old shows that were made before the rot set in. I've never watched a lot of TV, but I used to read novels a great deal. One day, I realised what a waste of time it was and the corrupt attitudes that were being promoted. I've not read an adult novel for 40 years and I was always selective with what I read the kids.

The Lord will honour you turning away from those things. Ask Him to show you other ways to enjoy yourself. He is not a spoilsport and it's OK to have recreation. Our small group did jigsaws together for many years. I spent a year doing a 5,000 piece puzzle at home. Sure, you need a lot of room and a big table. It was a real sense of achievement when I finished.

Talljake

Jul 17, 2022
I totally understand this. Weather at work or at home, TV is always brought up through the day. People notice that I don't watch much TV anymore and have even made comments. I may watch a movie with my nephew and niece but that's really it. It seems like when there is a movie on in the house, I find myself leaving the room because it is something I don't want to see or hear. Feeling separate is good because we are supposed to be in the world but not of the world. Same with music, it's the same concept. TV, music, and Internet are tools Satan uses........ But the lord does too. Our eyes and ears are the windows to our hearts, keep them guarded. God bless

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

Ah, I'm not the only one.

In my current situation there's little to do but play video games and listen to stand-up comedy on youtube. I can listen to fewer and fewer comedy specials though. These days more than half of them have "LGBT(whatever) is right and if you disagree you're a homophobe" or "Jesus was the first zombie" junk in it.

And there's not much to talk with people about at w*rk unless you watch the same shows they watch. Been that way for decades. "Hey what'd you think about what Opie pulled last night?" I get a lot of quiet thinking done while I'm at w*rk. And I sing to myself a lot.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
By the time inwas old enough to work I started falling out of what shows were popular, more and more. I've yet to be into much that's new. Most shows I do like I got into at the end, or after they were gone.
It's never really affected me around other people. Perhaps because I got used to others not relating to things I liked, in other areas. But never made me feel lonely to be out of the loop on TV shows.
But I can relate to losing interest in watching some of the things I used to because of the type of content in them.

Gojira

Jul 20, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I do not watch any modern programs. The last contemporary one I followed was Supernatural, and rest assured it was not because of its Biblical world view. The last season of it I never caught, and part of my lack of enthusiasm was because I'd heard that they deal with God more, and not in a reverent way.

There are TONS of older shows to watch: Seinfeld, King of Queens, Family Ties, Family Matters, Cheers, I Dream of Jeannie, Stargate SG1 / Atlantis, Star Trek (TOS through Voyager, tho I did start to watch Discovery), Gilligan's Island (although admittedly I have a hard time with Maryann :love:), Odd Couple, Honeymooners, Twilight Zone, X-Files, Newhart, Bob Newhart Show, Carol Burnett, the Brady Bunch, Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, yada yada.

None of these are Christian, and have their worldly themes. But, none of them attempt to praise homosexuality (quite the contrary) for starters.

Poinsetta

Nov 24, 2018
I watch the adult cartoons at Hulu and they're ok I dont feel bad because they are made for adults and they're cartoons so its kinda cool I'm so thankful for my sister she is the one paying the Hulu subscription and I pay the wifi. Anyway I think Hulu has something for everyone.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I just tell people I dont watch tv because theres too many ads and then talk about something else. If they insist on talking about tv I cant do much about it but they soon learn its not something Im that interested in.

I dont know why people would continue watching the Simpsons it was only good up to the season 8, and then jumped the shark (went downhill) so you not alone in disliking the show now.

There are some shows that are good but they need to be well written to keep my attention. Even with books I might go, this isnt that great. But I find people dont like to talk about books cos they dont actually read any. To insist that people watch or read the same things you do is a bit nuts when theres so many different things out there to enjoy.

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023

for me, since i was born, i really didn't like watching t.v. but in the past 5 years, i started watching because my wife likes when we do so. but way back, i would watch a new show for about 5-10 minutes that people would talk about & i would always end up saying, "garbage" ! so i relate to what you say.

RodB651

Feb 11, 2021

Then I feel weird when girls at work talk about the latest tv show and I have no idea how to chat with them about it. I can't relate. It even happens with family. It makes you feel lonely actually. It's weird how involved tv and movies are with our culture huh? Does anyone else feel like this?[/QUO

I think you are doing just fine. We all have to make these kind of decisions. :)

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I haven't watched TV for 3 years and don't miss it. Basically, I just watched it for the news and can get that online.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009

Hi Noel25,

You're doing a great job of discerning the things you choose as entertainment. :)

I can relate to your struggle, as the last movie I watched was Top Gun Maverick and I just haven't gotten around to watching any since. I also don't watch TV because I'm too stingy to shell out for Direct TV or multiple streaming services, etc.

I do, however, have a lot of YouTube running in the background while I'm working or doing chores.

I don't know if this would help or be something you'd be interested in, but I find a few review channels that cover popular movies and shows. Often, the reviewers are a lot funnier and more entertaining than what they're reviewing! And while they acknowledge things we're trying to avoid seeing ("So Shannon and Ethan run off to do The Devil's Tango...",) they usually can't/don't show it and you still get the general gist of the story -- to the point where you might be able to join in on a conversation about it.

I remember when Game of Thrones was HUGE and it seemed like everyone and their mother was trying to get me to watch it. Instead, I started listening to/watching YouTube summaries about some of the episodes or seasons. This firmly reiterated why I don't get into TV shows -- just from the clips alone, I went from hating Drogo as a neanderthal to enthusiastically rooting for him and Dani to take over the world... Only to learn of Drogo's fate and have my heart broken.

I want my entertainment to be an escape. I want to see a great story where bad guys get punished and characters I get attached to get a happy ending, not one in which they all get killed or turn into people who kill everyone else. (To be fair, I realize Drogo and his men had committed horrible atrocities towards the woman who cursed him, as well as against her people.)

But YouTube helped me skip most of the blood and explicit stuff while enabling me to contribute questions to conversations such as, "Why can only Targaryens can ride dragons?" (I was told that it was because anyone else who tried got eaten -- by the dragon!) o_O

There are a multitude of shows and movies I've never seen but learned just enough about them to be able to talk to someone who does, and passionate fans are always happy to fill in the (very detailed) blanks.

This might not be the best solution, but I've found it's helped open doors for me to talk to people about what they're really into (which can sometimes lead to other talks, such as about personal beliefs and faith.)

God bless you for being choosy about what you watch, and I hope He'll reward you with some new friends. :)