Is using contraceptives a sin against God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Stop twisting scripture. Onans wife wanted children and he refused her her right. That has nothing to do with contraception where both agree!

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I think it is Onan only who was commanded in that verse and not to all married people. because if it what happened to Onan will happen to some people then those Catholic brethren who used birth control medicines will automatically die.
Hello Jameen,

My point was that, Onan died because he spilled his seed out on the ground. It wasn't saying that everyone who uses birth control or contraceptives will be killed by God. I'm saying that anything that people do to interfere with the natural process of child bearing, whether birth control pills, contraceptives, or abortion, is sin.

If you'll use it for your fornication or extramarital affairs then it is a sin but if you'll use it because you know you can't afford to raise children if you copulate, then God will not include this as sin.
I don't believe that to be the truth. The only reason that we are able to use birth control, contraceptives and perform abortions, is because of science and technology. Just because science has created the ability to do those things, does not mean that it is approved by God. Therefore, using contraceptives, pills or abortion because of financial reasons is still a sin. I don't believe that God approves of these.

jameen

Feb 5, 2018
Manila
Hello Jameen,

My point was that, Onan died because he spilled his seed out on the ground. It wasn't saying that everyone who uses birth control or contraceptives will be killed by God. I'm saying that anything that people do to interfere with the natural process of child bearing, whether birth control pills, contraceptives, or abortion, is sin.

I don't believe that to be the truth. The only reason that we are able to use birth control, contraceptives and perform abortions, is because of science and technology. Just because science has created the ability to do those things, does not mean that it is approved by God. Therefore, using contraceptives, pills or abortion because of financial reasons is still a sin. I don't believe that God approves of these.
Then educate us, how the couples should abstain from having sex. You know sister it is easy to say that if you're single just like our local Catholic clergy and according to my experience most of anti artificial family planning method people in my country are either:

1) never have a boyfriend or girlfriend

2) never have a husband or wife

3) Discreetly using birth control medicines but hypocritically support our local Church's stand against birth control medicines just like the 2nd female president of my country

but at the end of the day our local clergy cannot give us best pieces of advice about how to abstain from having sex. they simply telling abstain from having sex w/o giving us tips how.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Then educate us, how the couples should abstain from having sex. You know sister it is easy to say that if you're single just like our local Catholic clergy and according to my experience most of anti artificial family planning method people in my country are either:

1) never have a boyfriend or girlfriend

2) never have a husband or wife

3) Discreetly using birth control medicines but hypocritically support our local Church's stand against birth control medicines just like the 2nd female president of my country

but at the end of the day our local clergy cannot give us best pieces of advice about how to abstain from having sex. they simply telling abstain from having sex w/o giving us tips how.
Well, first I would say, "get out of Roman Catholicism" because it is not the church, but a counterfeit. Roman Catholicism says that a priest cannot be married, yet the word of God never says this in fact, regarding those who are pastors or overseers, it says that they must be the husband of one wife, where Roman Catholicism forbids marriage. I could go on and on about their false beliefs, but not on this thread.

God gave sexual intimacy to be between only a married man and woman. If we are not married, then it is a sin when we have casual sex. Those who have boy friends and girl friends who are sleeping together, are committing sin, because they are not married. Self pleasuring is a sin. Fulfilling ones sexual desires outside of marriage between a man and woman is sin.

Hanna222

Sep 22, 2017
Personally I think, it is better to use contraceptives than make abortion. Nowadays we have many possibilities to buy necessary pills, including Canada drug online stores. I know how hard it is to raise children, and if you are not ready for a new child, using contraceptives is a good choice.

CS1

May 23, 2012
the bed room is none of our business. The context of this is in the marriage and between the husband and wife . this is the big issue when we cross the lines with what other do in the bed room, that is between the two and not you :) and I . I think those who are christians know what is right and wrong in that private part of the marriage. I leave it a lone . But that s just me :)