"It is finished"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 23, 2020
I am not questioning your relationship or love for the lord :) I will try to see your point. I am not trying to win a debate either.

God bless :)
More than that I cannot ask. 😉

Sans

Dec 28, 2017
Learning Greek is work and that deserves respect. But I’ve been acquainted with scholars of ancient Greek who were likely not Christians. They could translate the words. They just weren’t living them.
That has nothing to do with the discussion at hand... Jesus on the cross said Paid In Full... translated It is Finished.
Rev 21:6 says nothing of the kind.

Sans

Dec 28, 2017
I agree with CS1... I believe you have overlaid an emotionally based reasoning on what Jesus gave up to go to the cross.

Jesus was not sent, nor was His desire to do anything other than what the Father sent Him to do. He kept in perfect communion with the Father... the truest example of what we are to attempt to do.

Paul teaches that if you are happy to remain single and dedicate your life to the Lord... that is a good thing. How much more Jesus would do just that.

Even as a child, Jesus said to Mary and Joseph when they found him in the temple;
"Luke 2:49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?"

John records and drives home Jesus mission as spoken by the Lord Himself...

John 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. 29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him. 30 As he spake these words, many believed on him.

John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

2 Cor 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

In closing, The Lord cannot be said to have given up what He never intended to accomplish...ie., marriage, children, etc.

Mar 28, 2016
That has nothing to do with the discussion at hand... Jesus on the cross said Paid In Full... translated It is Finished.
Rev 21:6 says nothing of the kind.
The unseen work of His faith is finished as it is written . The labor of His love, the justifier seen or demonstration has completed satisfying the just letter of the law .

Rev 21:6 the fountain of the water of life freely the gospel

Sans

Dec 28, 2017
The unseen work of His faith is finished as it is written . The labor of His love, the justifier seen or demonstration has completed satisfying the just letter of the law .

Rev 21:6 the fountain of the water of life freely the gospel
I think the everlasting mystery of His finished work from before the foundation of the earth will ever be unfolded to us.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
Jesus said in John 19:30 "it is finished" on the cross but in Revelation 21:6 the Lord God says "it is finished". My question is what is the work completed on the cross and what is the work completed in Revelation 21:6? How do they relate to each other if at all? Also, in Revelation 21:6 it is the Alpha & Omega and the Beginning & End that says "it is finished" but why is the First & Last not there? It seems that at this point in time the Lord God is only two instead of three because the First & Last is absent from the scene. What are your thoughts?
I think the bible is based on Jesus more than the father and spirit. Well at least the new testament is, the spirit is the most humble out of the 3 and has the least authority and purely works for the father and son, he even intercedes for believers as Jesus does. The point is Jesus is God and has received his glorification at the right hand of the father. He existed in eternity past, and will in the future, that is what the verse is stressing.

Sans

Dec 28, 2017
I think the bible is based on Jesus more than the father and spirit. Well at least the new testament is, the spirit is the most humble out of the 3 and has the least authority and purely works for the father and son, he even intercedes for believers as Jesus does. The point is Jesus is God and has received his glorification at the right hand of the father. He existed in eternity past, and will in the future, that is what the verse is stressing.
The Godhead are Co-equal... He/They are God. We cannot understand that or wrap our heads around it... We believe it by faith because God's Word expresses it. We cannot fathom "before the foundation of the world"... But we believe it. We cannot comprehend Eternity... But we know it to be so. We don't even know yet what we will be... but when we see Him, we will be as He is. 1 John 3:2

Sans

Dec 28, 2017
I don't think we should complicate this. When Jesus said, "Paid in Full"... or "It Is Finished"... He was talking about the penalty for all sin for all men for all time having been satisfied by His blood. He who knew no sin, became sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Cor 5:21 (to all who believe)

Revelation 21:6 is the end of the 1000 year reign of Christ on earth that begins at the end of The Great Tribulation at His second coming and ends with the final rebellion of satan and the fallen and the nations that are deceived by them and brought to battle against the Lord. The heavens and the earth are burnt up... and a New Heaven and a New Earth are created... and the New Jerusalem will come down and be the tabernacle of God and He shall dwell with us and we shall ever be with Him for all eternity.