Jesus actual name

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 12, 2019
To mention Jesus' name, what the apostles wrote in the ORIGINAL letter? (I think it was written in greek). Did they write Ἰησοῦς (Iesous) or ישוע‎ (Yeshua) or something else?
Was the name Ἰησοῦς (Iesous) written by apostles? or derived from ישוע‎ (Yeshua) by bible translators?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Yeshua is but one of th e tranliterations of our Lord's name directly from the Hebrew to English. Yeshua became transliterated to Greek as Iesus, and to Latin as Yesu. All three are fromt he Hebrew and dthe original name is a group of words givne to Mary as to what to call her Babe. It may be actually translated as Salvtion Yah or the Salvation of Yah. Yeshi, the same as gthe father of David, meansmy Redeemer. the second half of th name is the name of Yah. You may have seen it as YeshiYahu.

Mar 12, 2019
Yeshua is but one of th e tranliterations of our Lord's name directly from the Hebrew to English. Yeshua became transliterated to Greek as Iesus, and to Latin as Yesu. All three are fromt he Hebrew and dthe original name is a group of words givne to Mary as to what to call her Babe. It may be actually translated as Salvtion Yah or the Salvation of Yah. Yeshi, the same as gthe father of David, meansmy Redeemer. the second half of th name is the name of Yah. You may have seen it as YeshiYahu.
Where did the name Yeshua come from, if the apostles wrote the name Iesous in Greek? (They did not write Yeshua in Hebrew).
If Iesous was written by apostles in Greek in original text, why was the transliteration required? I'm confused..

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Yeshua means salvation. I dont know why we dont call Jesus Joshua as Joshua also means salvation and would be the english equivalent. At the time of NT many of the hebrews were speaking greek as that was the common langaage at the time like english is now.

See matthew 1:21

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
There is no J in Hebrew. So, the Y from Hebrew translates into Greek an I. Then the I translates from Greek to English and becomes a J.

Anyone here care to explain where the name Jesus comes from.

(Hebrew/Yehoshua translates to Joshua in English)

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019
Yeshua told us that He came to us (His Creation) in His Father's NAME.

Yeshua = Yahweh's Salvation

Clearly, the Father being Yahweh, sent in HIS OWN NAME in His Son Yeshua, for the purpose of Salvation = to die for sins.

Mar 12, 2019
There is no J in Hebrew. So, the Y from Hebrew translates into Greek an I. Then the I translates from Greek to English and becomes a J..
Well. The question is, what did the apostles write in their ORIGINAL text? Iesous or Yeshua?
I think they wrote Iesous, because they wrote in Greek. Correct?

Mar 28, 2016
Jesus = Jehovah

Jesus as Jehovah is the power we have of Christ in these bodies of death. Because of His great power he has become my salvation, having begun the work in us he will finish it to the end as our living confidence.

Before the Exodus' demonstration which was used to typify salvation and entering into the promised land God (the gospel) he appeared as God Almighty (El Shaddai ), to this person or that but never to a whole nation used to typify those born again entering the actual promised land the new heavens and earth in the future.

Exodus 6:3And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name Jehovah was I not known to them.

Isaiah 12:2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.

Jehovah a strong savior.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Let us examine the time. Jesus, of the tribe of Judah waqs a Jew because of this, there was no such thing as Judaism at His time. You may have to think on this one for a while. All of His Men of Renown werer Israelites, whagt you would call jEWS, probably misconsturing them ot have a sectarian place in what did not yet exist, Judaism.

Had Jesus or His disciples taught in any other language than thqat of the Temple, they woul dhave brenpretty much ignored by any Jw because to call Him Jesus would have been error. Mary waqs not tole Jesusss…….anhd it makes absolutely no sense at all to say YOu will call Him Jesus because He will sae His people.

Any here wh o do not like the Hebrew influence of our faith is harboring anti-semetism I am afraid. It will always be the Jew firs tand then the Greek. Unahppily most do not realize any who believe and prise God are being Jewish…...that is another one to think on.

Mar 28, 2016
Let us examine the time. Jesus, of the tribe of Judah waqs a Jew because of this, there was no such thing as Judaism at His time. You may have to think on this one for a while. All of His Men of Renown werer Israelites, whagt you would call jEWS, probably misconsturing them ot have a sectarian place in what did not yet exist, Judaism.

Had Jesus or His disciples taught in any other language than thqat of the Temple, they woul dhave brenpretty much ignored by any Jw because to call Him Jesus would have been error. Mary waqs not tole Jesusss…….anhd it makes absolutely no sense at all to say YOu will call Him Jesus because He will sae His people.

Any here wh o do not like the Hebrew influence of our faith is harboring anti-semetism I am afraid. It wiomll always be the Jew firs tand then the Greek. Unahppily most do not realize any who believe and prise God are being Jewish…...that is another one to think on.
I would think it would matter to what Hebrew influence is to begin with.? I do not think the pursuit of the bride of Christ has ever been in respect to the literal flesh of any nation as if God was a man as us to begin with and Hebrew secondly.. Not sure what one would consider what nation Abel was from .His blood cries out . Was Adam a Jew outwardly? What was Abraham before he was called out . A Hittite or a Amorite ?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
God chose the first Israel to demonstrate to the mere minds of men just how unsuccessful one nation of flesh would be to be the only chosen. While the children of Israel were in the wilderness they were disobedient and by their disobedience salvation was gained by the nations...….

Mar 28, 2016
God chose the first Israel to demonstrate to the mere minds of men just how unsuccessful one nation of flesh would be to be the only chosen. While the children of Israel were in the wilderness they were disobedient and by their disobedience salvation was gained by the nations...….
Thanks I hear that just not sure how I would try and explain it? I would think there disobedience is an example .

It would not change the names of those written in the lambs book of life slain from before the foundation of the world. What we will be has no yet been made known. it just will not be Male or Female Jew or Gentile. Those are names for this creation.

Below can be applied even to Cain and Abel .

(For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)Romans 9:11

Salvation is gained through Christ, the anointing Holy Spirit of God. . He is not a man as us. He remains without mother or father beginning of spirit life or end thereof.

Salvation has never been limited to a nation of flesh. Flesh and blood is that way is that which the Son of man says profits for nothing .It was his unseen Spirit that he poured out as if it was blood on flesh and blood in order to put away sin in the flesh so that we could please the Spirit as it works in us with us. .Flesh and blood was not poured out on the Spirit. I would offer it could never enter the new order.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Well. The question is, what did the apostles write in their ORIGINAL text? Iesous or Yeshua?
I think they wrote Iesous, because they wrote in Greek. Correct?
Yea it would have been in koine greek. I dont speak or write in greek so couldnt tell you what it spelled like. The english translation transliterated this. But also, we pronounce out Js with a jih sound but in other languages they dont have the jih sound it would come out with a yih sound. If you wrote it phonetically it would look different but I cant write in phonemes on here cos I dont have the symbols.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
In chinese they say Yesu. A lot of people cant pronounce chinese names which is why they make an english equaivalent I would say thats what happned here close approximation to the greek. Like John in some countries they say it like Yohann. I dont know why but thats just the way it is. My grandmother couldnt pronouncemy sisters name in english as she couldnt get the GL sound. If you speak in tongues you will say things that you could never pronounce in your own language because each tongue has different sounds...thats why we have accents.