"Jesus died for everybody's sins"

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 12, 2019
Agreed. This verse supports my contention. It says everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life. Since not everyone sees the son (hears about the Son) and since God knows this ... therefore, God did not did for everyone.
"Beholding the Son" equals believing in Him here. Jesus meant beholding with the eyes of faith. Tom Constable

The word WORLD is ambiguous. One should define doctrine based on verses that are explicit; not implicit and thus bent by personal bias.
World could mean the planet.
World could mean the elect
World could mean Gentiles
World could mean non-elect I.E. John 15:19 If you were of the world, it would love you as its own. Instead, the world hates you, because you are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world.
replacing world in this verse with everyone you have:
John 15:19 If you were of the everyone, everyone would love you as its own. Instead, the everyone hates you, because you are not of the everyone, but I have chosen you out of the everyone.

Examples where it is clear WORLD does not need everyone:
“Shew Thyself to the world” (John 7:4), did they mean “shew Thyself to all mankind”? When the Pharisees said, “Behold, the world is gone after Him” (John 12:19), did they mean that “all the human family” were flocking after Him? When the apostle wrote, “Your faith is spoken of throughout the whole world” (Romans 1:8), did he mean that the faith of the saints at Rome was the subject of conversation by every man, woman, and child on the earth? When Revelation 13:3 informs us that “all the world wondered after the beast”, are we to understand that there will be no exceptions? What of the godly Jewish Remnant, who will be slain (Revelation 20:4) rather than submit?
I agree with you regarding the term "the world". Depending on the context, it may mean different things.

A good example is from Luke 2:1 KJV

And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.

Young's version goes

And it came to pass in those days, there went forth a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world be enrolled.

Surely no one will conclude that Augustus was taxing the entire world, including China, America and all the unknown places then.

It simply meant all Jews around the Roman empire will be taxed.

E

eternally-gratefull

To be totally honest, I'm not sure despite the amount of research I've done on the topic.
However, there are some ideas.

Of course there is the Catholic Theory that Jesus went down to hell and brought the peoples of the old testament up, however I've found no proof of that in the Bible, and unless Jesus tells me so, it's gonna stay just a theory.

Something I personally use it the Covenant of The Pieces
In the Covenant of the Pieces in Genesis 15, Abraham is supposed to promise obedience and to walk before God in exchange for people and land. In order to solidify this pact, he (Abraham) has to walk through the two halves of the animals. Instead, he essentially passes out, and God passes through instead, taking on his half of the pact, knowing full well humans cannot accomplish this. I believe that this may tie in to the same idea. Since God took on Abraham's half, He knew we wouldn't be able to atone for our sins. Maybe that had something to do with it?

The old testament was a shadow of the new covenant, and the sacrifices were a mere reminder of sins.

Acts 4:12 also states “There is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved,”

Again, I've listened to lectures and done what I can, but this is the best I can come up with. I suppose I'll just have to ask God when I get to heaven.
I think you said it well

no one was ever saved Or found redemption because a priest sacrificed an animal. Even the OT has to be redeemed by the cross, their redemption had to wait though, where ours was already purchased.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
"Jesus died for everybody's sins".

This is what I hear often from Christians and non-Christians alike.

Surely it isn't true though.

Jesus said
"I am the way, the truth and the life".
Humanity turned away from God when we ignored God's commandments in the garden of Eden.
Jesus offers us a way to develop a relationship with God and to start following Him again.

Jesus died for the sins of the people who choose to follow Him, and believe in Him.
He did not die for every random person, whether they choose to follow and believe in Him or not.

Thoughts?
Agreed, well its like a glass, it can take varying degrees or amounts of water. The glass always has a higher limit then the water put into it. Multiply the water and the make the glass limitless and you will understand things clearer.