Jesus is God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

sacraig67

Aug 17, 2014
Hope to talk with you again achduke . Thank you for all your input and honesty. I am sure I can talk oldhermit into more of the New Testament Greek lol. See you soon my friend.

Aug 19, 2014
Hope to talk with you again achduke . Thank you for all your input and honesty. I am sure I can talk oldhermit into more of the New Testament Greek lol. See you soon my friend.
Hi sacraig67,

I will still be around. Just not commenting on this thread as much.

Shalom my friend.

Nov 19, 2012
God manifested Himself through Jesus. God didn't manifest Himself as Jesus. Jesus is the Son of God because God is His Father. God is our Father just like He is Jesus' Father. God is our God just like He is Jesus' God. Jesus was sinless by choice. Just some thoughts to ponder...:rolleyes:

Jesus is God on the merits of established rules of Greek grammar, all by itself....regardless of your Jewish Unitarian theological worldview.

Patnubay

May 27, 2014
That is actually the point. How do we go about it? How do we plant the seed?

There are many ways to plant a seed that you do not need to prove anything. Random act of kindness, sharing a testimony, invitation to attend and observe a christian gathering like a bible study, personal prayers for the person, and many others.

Proving something means discussion, debate, argument and disagreement. Never engage a non-believer. He will surely close his heart. Put him in a passive position where he only watches, hears, observes and thinks.

If the question is for yourself, READ THE BIBLE and keep reading until you feel Him.

Agricola

Dec 10, 2012
The Avatar for Bowman says it all!

This is covered in how to understanding the Trinity without using an analogy, as all analogy fails, in a Luthrian Sataire cartoon shown on Wretched.

[video=youtube;dADpSJan3Qc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dADpSJan3Qc[/video]

sacraig67

Aug 17, 2014
If the question is for yourself, READ THE BIBLE and keep reading until you feel Him.[/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

No the question isn't for me (though I can learn new ways to spread the Gospel) I mainly started this thread to get people (including myself) thinking. The proof is in the Bible speaking through the Holy Spirit upon our hearts.

Aug 20, 2014
OK so I know I am new at this but here goes. I believe in the divinity of Jesus fully God fully human. But, there are those out there who don't believe this. Let's discuss His divinity and prove it.
Just so you yinz know (I'm from Pittsburgh pa) it's one of my favorite subjects. It's something I study. I don't know it all so anything you got will help. I mite play the "devils advocate" a bit also. I think this could be fun if we all keep level heads.

[h=3]John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.[/h]
[h=3]John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. [/h]
[h=3]John 10:30 I and the Father are one.” [/h]

Aug 19, 2014
One more I can add.

Colossians 2:9-12
For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, 10and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority. 11In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh[SUP]b[/SUP] was put off when you were circumcised by[SUP]c[/SUP] Christ, 12having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

JimmieD

Apr 11, 2014
I think one place we can see Jesus' divinity is during his trial. Jesus is essentially hauled in for trial on different charges, the main one being that he threatened to destroy the temple:

Mark14:56 Many gave false testimony against him, but their testimony did not agree. 14:57 Some stood up and gave this false testimony against him: 14:58 “We heard him say, ‘I will destroy this temple made with hands and in three days build another not made with hands.’” 14:59 Yet even on this point their testimony did not agree. 14:60 Then the high priest stood up before themand asked Jesus, “Have you no answer? What is this that they are testifying against you?” 14:61 But he was silent and did not answer.
But without 2 witnesses, nothing could really stick (though Matthew does say 2 came forward with the charge that Jesus threatened the temple). The charge of Jesus threatening to destroy the temple would be a fairly serious charge. That sort of thing had overt political-religious overtones. For example, it was thought that when the messiah came, one of the things he might do would be to either cleanse the temple and/or build the eschatological temple. Jesus wasn't even the first or the last messianic claimant to want to do something to the temple. So the High Priests follow on question is natural:

14:61 Again the high priest questioned him,“Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?”
The Priest is not asking, "Are you God?" He is simply asking if Jesus thinks he's the messiah, which is not a divine office in itself. Even asking Jesus if he was the "Son of the Blessed One" isn't a question about divinity - it's a question about kingship as the king of Israel, and Israel as a whole, was called God's son (Eg, 2 Sam 7, Ps 2, Ps 89...). The High Priest just wants to know if Jesus thought he was the promised king of Israel. However, the answer he received was totally unexpected:

14:62 “I am,” said Jesus, “and you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Power and coming with the clouds of heaven.”
The phrase "I am" could have been enough as that's the same phrase used for the Name of God in Exodus 3. But Jesus continued with a double quote from Psalm 110 and Daniel 7. When these two verses were quoted together and directed at the High Priest, there was no doubt in the High Priest's mind what Jesus was saying. The High Priest himself was a "messiah" according to the OT, and as God's annointed one, the only one that could sit in judgment over the high priest was God himself. Jesus' double quote from Daniel and the Psalm essentially tells the High Priest that he will see Jesus vindicated and sitting on God's throne in victory and jugment over the enemies of God, which was the High Priest in this case. There can be no mistake, the only person that could sit in judgment over the High Priest was God.

Ex22:28 “You must not blaspheme Godor curse the ruler of your people.

2 Sam19:21 Abishai son of Zeruiah replied, “For this should not Shimei be put to death? After all, he cursed the Lord’s anointed [lit: messiah]!”

(also 1 Sam 24:6, 26:9, 1 Kings 21:10-11)
The High Priest's response to Jesus' claim was easiliy predictable:

Mark14:63 Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “Why do we still need witnesses? 14:64 You have heard the blasphemy! What is your verdict?”They all condemned him as deserving death.
If Jesus wasn't divine, then the High Priests was correct - he was a blasphemer. As far as the High Priest was concerned the charge was legitimate. Jesus claimed to be the messiah, which was certainly a threat to the established political order, but Jesus went beyond that claim by claiming to be the one that would be sitting on God's throne in vindication and victory, judging the High Priest as an enemy of God. No doubt Jesus at least claimed divinity, and right to the High Priest's face.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
a very important point, Jimmie ^^

asking if Jesus is the Living God is tantamount to double-jeopardy, against US law.
He's already been tried, convicted, sentenced and executed, quite famously, by the Sanhedrin on this count.

but the grave could not hold Him, and He holds the keys to death & hell!!

Jedothek

Dec 1, 2014
oldhermit,
Your abundant remarks of course contain much truth, but they also serve to obscure the significance of the absence of the article before θεος, which you mention and then conveniently drop. You offer an interpretation for the placement of this word, but offer no explanation of why an unbiased reader (neither Christian nor atheist) should not give it its most natural translation, “a god.” We should not distort our translation to please Trinitarians – or even monotheists. The verse means

In the beginning was the logos, and the logos was according to God, and the logos was a god.

I allow myself the use of “logos” because it is now in the English dictionary ( e.g., dictionary.com), and I avoid the translation “word” because it is wrong in 21st century English. Of course things were different in 1611.

A. The word logos was not yet English.
B. “Word” was any piece of speech, not necessarily a word in the present sense. Think e.g. of the Seven last words of Christ.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
oldhermit,
Your abundant remarks of course contain much truth, but they also serve to obscure the significance of the absence of the article before θεος, which you mention and then conveniently drop. You offer an interpretation for the placement of this word, but offer no explanation of why an unbiased reader (neither Christian nor atheist) should not give it its most natural translation, “a god.” We should not distort our translation to please Trinitarians – or even monotheists. The verse means

In the beginning was the logos, and the logos was according to God, and the logos was a god.

I allow myself the use of “logos” because it is now in the English dictionary ( e.g., dictionary.com), and I avoid the translation “word” because it is wrong in 21st century English. Of course things were different in 1611.

A. The word logos was not yet English.
B. “Word” was any piece of speech, not necessarily a word in the present sense. Think e.g. of the Seven last words of Christ.
is it weird for you to wait 4 years before replying?

is it really 'the most natural' for an 'unbiased reader' to insert an article 'a' where none exists -- as it were, out of thin air, changing the literal translation? or is that in all actuality also weird.

J

jaybird88

To deny the deity of Jesus makes one by default anti-Christian......so their use of Christian, as applied unto themselves, is a farce and contrary to the truth!
i dont know about this one DC, do you have a scripture for this?