Jesus is not coming back. He already did in 70 A.D.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 12, 2019
I. THE GREAT TRIBULATION: For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened. (Mt 24:21,22).

2. THE *SHAKING* OF THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH: Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: (Mt 24:29)

THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST
Now notice that it says "AND THEN" TWICE in the next verse after these things have occurred: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. (Mt 24:30)
Everything you just quoted is from Matthew 24 and before verse 34 when Jesus says ALL these things will happen to this generation. His contemporaries.

Also notice that all the inhabitants of the earth will literally see Christ coming in power and great glory from Heaven, and they will weep and mourn because their judgment is coming.
The Greek word for earth is "Ges". It can be equally translated as land. In this case the land of Israel. They were weeping because they saw Jesus coming in judgment to destroy them for rejecting Him.

K

KnowMe

The book was not written after 70 A.D. It was written before and their is tons of evidence for this. Here is some evidence:

1. The temple is mentioned in Rev 11: 1-2 and John is told to measure it.
2. In Rev 17: 10 it says "five kings have fallen, one is, and the other has not yet come". If you count from Julius Caesar as the first king of Rome then Nero is the sixth king. Nero reigned from 54-68 A.D. meaning the book was written in that time range.
3. In Matthew 24: 7, Jesus says there will be famines and pestilences. In Revelation you see famines and pestilences with the 3rd seal in Revelation 6. Jesus said this would happen before that generation died out in Matt 24: 34.
4. In Matthew 24: 13, It says "he who endures to the end will be saved". This is referring to end of the jewish age and the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. Rev 2 and 3 talk about enduring and overcoming to inherit the kingdom. That kingdom was coming in 70 A.D.
5. The kingdom comes at the seventh trumpet in Rev 11: 15 and also comes in Luke 21: 31-32.

Remember what Jesus says in Luke 21: 31-32, "So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. 32 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place.
Well I guess you can throw the book aside nothing to see it’s been done all ready no one is coming,
lights out. hmm

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
So how come the church saw neither the returning Christ nor His accompanying angels in 60 AD?
And hw come no one notice the arrival of the kingdom of God? Instead, the Jerusalem church fled to Pella and never regained is former authority and success; and the Gentile church was rocked by several heresies that almost destroyed the faith. In fact, the church was in very bad shape after 70 AD! The church struggled to survive until Constantine in the early 4th century became the first Christian emperor. It is more reasonable to believe that Jesus' promises you quote were wrong than that Jesus returned in 70 AD! Ah, but Jesus was not wrong; rather, you are misunderstanding His promises. That is the scholarly consensus and I will demonstate why in my next planned post.

But that post will have to wait because for the next 3 days I will be riveted to the internet video of the UMC trainwreck convention on gay marriage and ordination that begings tomorrow.

Jan 12, 2019
Well I guess you can throw the book aside nothing to see it’s been done all ready no one is coming, lights out. hmm
Matt 5: 17-18, "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to FULFILL. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."

This verse is telling you that not even the tiniest bit of the law can pass away until all things that are written in the law and prophets are fulfilled. Now let us look at these verses:

Luke 21: 20-22, "But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those who are in the midst of her depart, and let not those who are in the country enter her. 22 For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

When Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed, the Law passed away. The old covenant passed away. Christ brought the kingdom with him. The new heaven and earth. What is the new heaven and earth? It's the New Covenant. It's Jesus. What is the New Jerusalem? It's us. The church. His body made up of living stones.

Read Isaiah 65: 1-16. God is talking about the old heavens and earth which were His people old covenant Israel who always rebelled against Him. Then look what He says in Isaiah 65: 17 and 18:

Isa 65: 17-18, "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind. 18 But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create; For behold, I create Jerusalem as a rejoicing, And her people a joy."

Everything in the Bible is fulfilled. That doesn't mean it doesn't speak to us today. We still preach the gospel and get people saved so they can experience Jesus forever. The message is still powerful today. When we die we go to be with the Lord immediately. No separation like in the Old Testament before Jesus came. The Lord keeps His promises. There is no need for Jesus to come back. He has already accomplished everything and His kingdom will have no end. God bless.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Everything you just quoted is from Matthew 24 and before verse 34 when Jesus says ALL these things will happen to this generation. His contemporaries.
Since we know from both Church history and human history that the two major unique series of events in Matthew 24 have NOT occurred, we must correctly interpret this verse: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near,even at the doors.

While the *ye* (you) was primarily for the apostles, it was also for all those who would read the New Testament in the coming ages. Had everything been fulfilled already then we would also already be in the New Heavens and the New Earth. But since that is not the case, your interpretation is incorrect.

As to *this generation* it can either mean a generation or it can also mean a race or a nation (depending on the context). So unless you are willing to assert that this mess that is presently on earth is somehow the New Heavens and the New Earth, you would be wise to give up your mistaken ideas. Which can also do a lot of damage spiritually to those who are new to the faith, or not too familiar with Scripture.

K

KnowMe

Matt 5: 17-18, "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to FULFILL. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."

This verse is telling you that not even the tiniest bit of the law can pass away until all things that are written in the law and prophets are fulfilled. Now let us look at these verses:

Luke 21: 20-22, "But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near. 21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those who are in the midst of her depart, and let not those who are in the country enter her. 22 For these are the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

When Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed, the Law passed away. The old covenant passed away. Christ brought the kingdom with him. The new heaven and earth. What is the new heaven and earth? It's the New Covenant. It's Jesus. What is the New Jerusalem? It's us. The church. His body made up of living stones.

Read Isaiah 65: 1-16. God is talking about the old heavens and earth which were His people old covenant Israel who always rebelled against Him. Then look what He says in Isaiah 65: 17 and 18:

Isa 65: 17-18, "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind. 18 But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create; For behold, I create Jerusalem as a rejoicing, And her people a joy."

Everything in the Bible is fulfilled. That doesn't mean it doesn't speak to us today. We still preach the gospel and get people saved so they can experience Jesus forever. The message is still powerful today. When we die we go to be with the Lord immediately. No separation like in the Old Testament before Jesus came. The Lord keeps His promises. There is no need for Jesus to come back. He has already accomplished everything and His kingdom will have no end. God bless.
Your right, need to be ready.

Matthew 24:44
Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.

Jan 12, 2019
Since we know from both Church history and human history that the two major unique series of events in Matthew 24 have NOT occurred, we must correctly interpret this verse: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near,even at the doors.
You are quoting from verse 33. Verse 34 says ALL these things will happen to this generation. Jesus' generation. You are not accepting what the Scripture says.

While the *ye* (you) was primarily for the apostles, it was also for all those who would read the New Testament in the coming ages. Had everything been fulfilled already then we would also already be in the New Heavens and the New Earth. But since that is not the case, your interpretation is incorrect.
We are in the new heavens and earth. You are thinking that it is an actual physical place but it is not. It is the new covenant where man is no longer spiritually separated from God because of what Jesus has done for us. It is a spiritual kingdom. Jesus said His kingdom is not of this world.

As to *this generation* it can either mean a generation or it can also mean a race or a nation (depending on the context). So unless you are willing to assert that this mess that is presently on earth is somehow the New Heavens and the New Earth, you would be wise to give up your mistaken ideas. Which can also do a lot of damage spiritually to those who are new to the faith, or not too familiar with Scripture.
The word for generation is "genea" and it is never used in the New Testament or by Jesus for a race of people. There is a different Greek word for that. All 25 times Jesus uses "Genea" in the New Testament He is referring to His contemporaries. There are no exceptions and you can tell that from the context if you look at the passages.

Why would the truth do damage to someone spiritually? Christians have been dying for 2,000 years and going straight into the presence of the Lord at death. That is not going to change. So how does that hurt someone? It only hurts someone if they don't want to hear what Scripture actually says and want to believe a false teaching like the rapture. I understand some people believe that and I respect their opinions, and hopefully they can respect mine, but I would like my brothers and sisters in Christ to have the truth. I understand you disagree and I am okay with that.

Jan 12, 2019
Somewhere around 95 AD iirc.
There is plenty of internal evidence that the book was written before 70 A.D. Also several external references like Origen and the syriac version of Revelation.

Revelation is the expanded version of the Olivet Discourse. That's why John doesn't have it in his gospel. It is about the destruction of Jerusalem and the setting up of Christ's kingdom when He returned in 70 A.D. It's about 2 brides. One is a harlot (old covenant Israel) drunk with the blood of the prophets and saints (Rev 18: 24) and that all the wrath for all the righteous blood shed from Abel to Zechariah would come upon that evil generation of Jews (Matt 23: 35-36). When one starts to see these things the book will make more sense.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
According to the Bible, Jesus' second coming was in 70 A.D. Here is a few Scriptures in support of this:

Matt 16: 27-28, "For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.”

Matt 24: 30-31, "Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. " This is the Olivet Discourse and in verse 34 it says "ALL these things will come upon this generation" Not some things but ALL these signs will come upon this generation.

Matt 10: 23, "17 But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues. You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles. But when they deliver you up, do not worry about how or what you should speak. For it will be given to you in that hour what you should speak; for it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father who speaks in you. “Now brother will deliver up brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end will be saved. When they persecute you in this city, flee to another. 23 For assuredly, I say to you, you will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

I have many more Scriptures I can provide if anyone is interested in discussing this. God bless.
When were all who beliv HIm takrn up to be with Him?

Feb 6, 2019
I’m simple, I go by gospel. Jesus speaks of wars and rumors of war. Many will be offended, sounds like snowflakes to me

gee20

Aug 25, 2013
Matthew 24:36 New King James Version (NKJV)
No One Knows the Day or Hour
36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only.

2 Peter 3:17
Therefore, beloved, knowing beforehand, beware lest being led away with the error of the lawless, you fall from your own steadfastness.

Feb 6, 2019
Yes we will get caught up in the clouds and forever be with the Lord ! That’s rapture! Not quite ye for the Lord has given us a reprieve

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The Greek word is "Genea" for generation. It is used 43 times in the New Testament. It never means a race of people. There is a different Greek word for that. Jesus uses the word generation, or the phrase "this generation", 25 times in the New Testament. He uses it 3 times in the 3 accounts of the Olivet Discourse so we won't count those since we are debating their meaning. The other 22 times Jesus uses the word for generation it always means His contemporaries. There are no exceptions.

I have heard people who believe in a future coming of Christ say this about Matthew 16: 27-28. But notice what Jesus says in those verses:

Matt 16: 27-28, "For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.28 Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom. "

Jesus did not reward everyone according to his works at the Mount of Transfiguration or Pentecost. This can only apply to A.D. 70.

That's because the resurrection hadn't happened at that point. It didn't happen until 70 A.D. How would Hymaneus fool anybody if they had the understanding of the "rapture" that the church has today? That bodies fly up out of the ground? That wouldn't have fooled anybody. They knew it was a spiritual resurrection. You weren't going to see it with your eyes.

The resurrection took place in 70 A.D. Daniel was given a 70 weeks prophecy at the end of Daniel 9. Daniel 10,11,12 give some of the details of that prophecy. The resurrection takes place at the end of the 70 weeks because that was all the time that was given for Daniel and his people. That was 70 A.D. Daniel 12: 2 tells you about the resurrection that happened in the 1st century.
The resurrection of whom? Care to say who was actually resurrected in ad 70? Now you saying its spiritual resurrextion. But jesus was resurrected BODILY. And we will the same.
Also you didnt bother to answer the last question. Who was the man of sin then.

Sorry not buying it! Also I dont buy the invisible 'rapture' either. Every eye will see.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Generation means a people, when Jesus called the Pharisees a generation of vipers, a wicked and adulterous, generation he was referring to them as a people. Children of the devil and darkenss vs children of God and the light.

Feb 6, 2019
That’s fine! You have a belief and I have the word of God. Read it! God works with numbers it’s been 70 years for Israel as a nation and Trump acknowledges Jerusalem as the capital that should be astonished!

gee20

Aug 25, 2013
I got this from Bible Hub, more complete. And we all must encourage and be patient with each other as the Lord commands.

The Coming Judgment
(Genesis 7:1-5)
1Beloved, this is now my second letter to you. Both of them are reminders to stir you to wholesome thinking 2by recalling what was foretold by the holy prophets and commanded by our Lord and Savior through your apostles.
3Most importantly, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4“Where is the promise of His coming?” they will ask. “Ever since our fathers fell asleep, everything continues as it has from the beginning of creation.”
5But they deliberately overlook the fact that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water, 6through whicha the world of that time perished in the flood. 7And by that same word, the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

The Day of the Lord
(Zephaniah 1:7-18; 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11)
8Beloved, do not let this one thing escape your notice: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance.
10But the Day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar, the elements will be destroyedb by fire, and the earth and its works will be laid bare.c
11Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to conduct yourselves in holiness and godliness 12as you anticipate and hasten the coming of the day of God, when the heavens will be destroyed by fire and the elements will melt in the heat. 13But in keeping with God’s promise, we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

Final Exhortations
14Therefore, beloved, as you anticipate these things, make every effort to be found at peace with Him, without spot or blemish.
15Consider also that our Lord’s patience brings salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom God gave him. 16He writes this way in all his letters,d speaking in them about such matters. Some parts of his letters are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort,e as they do the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
17Therefore, beloved, since you already know these things, be on your guard so that you will not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure standing. 18But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity.
Amen.f

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Generation does not mean contemporaries. You need to look up what generation means in the dictionary. When Noah is called by God righteous in all his generations Hes meaning offspring.

You are mixing up with thinking generation means 'peers'.

Feb 6, 2019
I got this from Bible Hub, more complete. And we all must encourage and be patient with each other as the Lord commands.

The Coming Judgment
(Genesis 7:1-5)
1Beloved, this is now my second letter to you. Both of them are reminders to stir you to wholesome thinking 2by recalling what was foretold by the holy prophets and commanded by our Lord and Savior through your apostles.
3Most importantly, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4“Where is the promise of His coming?” they will ask. “Ever since our fathers fell asleep, everything continues as it has from the beginning of creation.”
5But they deliberately overlook the fact that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water, 6through whicha the world of that time perished in the flood. 7And by that same word, the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men.

The Day of the Lord
(Zephaniah 1:7-18; 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11)
8Beloved, do not let this one thing escape your notice: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance.
10But the Day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar, the elements will be destroyedb by fire, and the earth and its works will be laid bare.c
11Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to conduct yourselves in holiness and godliness 12as you anticipate and hasten the coming of the day of God, when the heavens will be destroyed by fire and the elements will melt in the heat. 13But in keeping with God’s promise, we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.

Final Exhortations
14Therefore, beloved, as you anticipate these things, make every effort to be found at peace with Him, without spot or blemish.
15Consider also that our Lord’s patience brings salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom God gave him. 16He writes this way in all his letters,d speaking in them about such matters. Some parts of his letters are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort,e as they do the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.
17Therefore, beloved, since you already know these things, be on your guard so that you will not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure standing. 18But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity.
Amen.f
Bible hub?
Generation does not mean contemporaries. You need to look up what generation means in the dictionary. When Noah is called by God righteous in all his generations Hes meaning offspring.

You are mixing up with thinking generation means 'peers'.
God destroys the wicked, son of righteousness wins , I get it