Jesus name

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 11, 2022
I find it strange that we have differing opinions on God's name but not on Jesus name, the majority of people all say Jesus even though the Hebrew language doesn't have any J sounds, and it didn't come into the English language until the 16th century. 'The Bible tells us that "There is no other name which to be saved with' shows the importance surely.
All replies welcome

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
List of Biblical names starting with J

Jaakan
Jaala
Jaalah
Jaalam
Jaanai
Jaasau
Jaasiel
Jaazaniah
Jaaziah
Jaaziel
Jabal
Jabbok
Jabesh
Jabeshgilead
Jabez
Jabin
Jabneel
Jachan
Jachin
Jacob
Jada
Jadau
Jadon
Jaddua
Jael
Jagur
Jah
Jahath
Jahaz
Jahaziah
Jahaziel
Jahdai
Jahdiel
Jahdo
Jahleel
Jahmai
Jahzeel
Jahzerah
Jair
Jairus
Jakan
Jakeh
Jakim
Jalon
Jambres
James
Jamin
Jamlech
Janna
Janoah, rest
Janum
Japhet
Japheth
Japhia,
Japhlet
Japho
Jarah
Jareb
Jared
Jaresiah
Jarib
Jarmuth
Jasher
Jashobeam
Jashub
Jasiel
Jason
Jathniel
Jattir
Javan
Jazer
Jaziz
Jearim
Jeaterai
Jeberechiah
Jebus
Jebusi
Jecamiah
Jecoliah
Jeconiah,
Jed
Jedaiah
Jediael
Jedidah
Jedidiah
Jeduthun
Jeezer
Jegar-sahadutha
Jehaleleel
Jehdeiah
Jehezekel
Jehiah
Jehizkiah
Jehoadah
Jehoaddan
Jehoahaz
Jehoash
Jehohanan
Jehoiachin
Jehoiada
Jehoiakim
Jehoiarib
Jehonadab
Jehonathan
Jehoram
Jehoshaphat
Jehosheba
Jehoshua
Jehovah
Jehovah-jireh
Jehovah-nissi
Jehovah-shalom
Jehovah-shammah
Jehovah-tsidkenu
Jehozabad
Jehozadak
Jehu
Jehubbah
Jehucal
Jehud
Jehudijah
Jehush
Jekabzeel
Jekameam
Jekamiah
Jekuthiel
Jemima
Jemuel
Jephthah
Jephunneh
Jerah
Jerahmeel
Jered
Jeremai
Jeremiah
Jeremoth
Jeriah
Jericho
Jeriel
Jerijah
Jerimoth
Jerioth
Jeroboam
Jeroham
Jerubbaal
Jerubbesheth
Jeruel
Jerusalem
Jerusha
Jesaiah
Jeshebeab
Jesher
Jeshimon
Jeshishai
Jeshohaia
Jeshua
Jeshurun
Jesiah
Jesimiel
Jesse
Jesui
Jesus
Jether
Jetheth
Jethlah
Jethro
Jetur
Jeuel
Jeush
Jew
Jezaniah
Jezebel
Jezer
Jeziah
Jezoar
Jezrahiah
Jezreel
Jibsam
Jidlaph
Jimnah
Jiphtah
Jiphtah-el
Joab
Joachim
Joah
Joahaz
Joanna
Joash
Joatham
Job
Jobab
Jochebed
Joed
Joel
Joelah
Joezer
Jogbehah
Jogli
Joha
Johanan/Jehovah
John
Joiarib
Jokdeam
Jokim
Jokmeam
Jokneam
Jokshan
Joktan
Jonadab
Jonah
Jonan
Jonathan
Joppa
Jorah
Joram
Jordan
Jorim
Josabad
Josaphat
Jose
Joseph
Joses
Joshah
Joshaviah
Joshbekashah
Joshua
Josiah
Josibiah
Josiphiah
Jotham
Jozabad
Jozachar
Jubal
Jucal
Judah
Judas
Judaea
Judith
Jude
Julia
Julius
Junia
Jushab-hesed
Justus
Juttah

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
I find it strange that we have differing opinions on God's name but not on Jesus name, the majority of people all say Jesus even though the Hebrew language doesn't have any J sounds, and it didn't come into the English language until the 16th century. 'The Bible tells us that "There is no other name which to be saved with' shows the importance surely.
All replies welcome
Well Jesus IS God

He called Himself the I AM

This is God who spoke to Moses at the burning bush.

I think it's close to this:

YHWH

Becomes Yahweh

Becomes Yehoshua

Becomes Joshua

Becomes Jesus.

Jesus also referred to Himself in Revelation as the Alpha and Omega.. which is also the name for God.

Jesus calls the Father ... 'Eli' when on the cross.

Eloheim is another name for the Supreme God.

But yeah.. they are all linked together.

The names are all different roles or expressions of God.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Jesus is not concerned about how you spell His name. He wants you to ask Him into your heart.

P

persistent

All replies welcome
There is a preacher in Arkansas that makes a big thing out of the pronunciation. He probably figures all people that are mute or have difficulty with the pronunciation are going to hell? Another letter that went though changes is V which became U or vice versa. I think some translations use the Yeshua name in place of Jesus.

soberxp

May 3, 2018
Matthew 1:23
He said, "A virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Emmanuel."which means God with us.

Feb 11, 2022
List of Biblical names starting with J

Jaakan
Jaala
Jaalah
Jaalam
Jaanai
Jaasau
Jaasiel
Jaazaniah
Jaaziah
Jaaziel
Jabal
Jabbok
Jabesh
Jabeshgilead
Jabez
Jabin
Jabneel
Jachan
Jachin
Jacob
Jada
Jadau
Jadon
Jaddua
Jael
Jagur
Jah
Jahath
Jahaz
Jahaziah
Jahaziel
Jahdai
Jahdiel
Jahdo
Jahleel
Jahmai
Jahzeel
Jahzerah
Jair
Jairus
Jakan
Jakeh
Jakim
Jalon
Jambres
James
Jamin
Jamlech
Janna
Janoah, rest
Janum
Japhet
Japheth
Japhia,
Japhlet
Japho
Jarah
Jareb
Jared
Jaresiah
Jarib
Jarmuth
Jasher
Jashobeam
Jashub
Jasiel
Jason
Jathniel
Jattir
Javan
Jazer
Jaziz
Jearim
Jeaterai
Jeberechiah
Jebus
Jebusi
Jecamiah
Jecoliah
Jeconiah,
Jed
Jedaiah
Jediael
Jedidah
Jedidiah
Jeduthun
Jeezer
Jegar-sahadutha
Jehaleleel
Jehdeiah
Jehezekel
Jehiah
Jehizkiah
Jehoadah
Jehoaddan
Jehoahaz
Jehoash
Jehohanan
Jehoiachin
Jehoiada
Jehoiakim
Jehoiarib
Jehonadab
Jehonathan
Jehoram
Jehoshaphat
Jehosheba
Jehoshua
Jehovah
Jehovah-jireh
Jehovah-nissi
Jehovah-shalom
Jehovah-shammah
Jehovah-tsidkenu
Jehozabad
Jehozadak
Jehu
Jehubbah
Jehucal
Jehud
Jehudijah
Jehush
Jekabzeel
Jekameam
Jekamiah
Jekuthiel
Jemima
Jemuel
Jephthah
Jephunneh
Jerah
Jerahmeel
Jered
Jeremai
Jeremiah
Jeremoth
Jeriah
Jericho
Jeriel
Jerijah
Jerimoth
Jerioth
Jeroboam
Jeroham
Jerubbaal
Jerubbesheth
Jeruel
Jerusalem
Jerusha
Jesaiah
Jeshebeab
Jesher
Jeshimon
Jeshishai
Jeshohaia
Jeshua
Jeshurun
Jesiah
Jesimiel
Jesse
Jesui
Jesus
Jether
Jetheth
Jethlah
Jethro
Jetur
Jeuel
Jeush
Jew
Jezaniah
Jezebel
Jezer
Jeziah
Jezoar
Jezrahiah
Jezreel
Jibsam
Jidlaph
Jimnah
Jiphtah
Jiphtah-el
Joab
Joachim
Joah
Joahaz
Joanna
Joash
Joatham
Job
Jobab
Jochebed
Joed
Joel
Joelah
Joezer
Jogbehah
Jogli
Joha
Johanan/Jehovah
John
Joiarib
Jokdeam
Jokim
Jokmeam
Jokneam
Jokshan
Joktan
Jonadab
Jonah
Jonan
Jonathan
Joppa
Jorah
Joram
Jordan
Jorim
Josabad
Josaphat
Jose
Joseph
Joses
Joshah
Joshaviah
Joshbekashah
Joshua
Josiah
Josibiah
Josiphiah
Jotham
Jozabad
Jozachar
Jubal
Jucal
Judah
Judas
Judaea
Judith
Jude
Julia
Julius
Junia
Jushab-hesed
Justus
Juttah
Is there a point to this???🙄

Feb 11, 2022
Well Jesus IS God

He called Himself the I AM

This is God who spoke to Moses at the burning bush.

I think it's close to this:

YHWH

Becomes Yahweh

Becomes Yehoshua

Becomes Joshua

Becomes Jesus.

Jesus also referred to Himself in Revelation as the Alpha and Omega.. which is also the name for God.

Jesus calls the Father ... 'Eli' when on the cross.

Eloheim is another name for the Supreme God.

But yeah.. they are all linked together.

The names are all different roles or expressions of God.

Feb 11, 2022
Thanks for your reply, but to me God and Jesus are separate, Jesus is the Son of God, but I welcome your input.

Feb 11, 2022
Jesus is not concerned about how you spell His name. He wants you to ask Him into your heart.
Yes but you would surely say a name when you pray, and out of respect you want it to be the correct one.

Snacks

Feb 10, 2022
All replies welcome
And yet you refer to Him twice as Jesus. 😔

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
His name isn't a spell...that's something that's been worked into my heart time and again.

Have you considered that the word "name" means more than just what someone is called?

In the name of King George would mean what? Doing something in the "King's name".

That is where believers should start in my view and it isn't really taught for whatever reason. "ask in my name..." doesn't just mean adding "in Jesus name" at the end of a prayer followed by amen...

I'm not trying to knock people that do this or anything but it's not the words themselves so be careful about that becoming rote. It's a personal prayer, personalize it...it's to a person :)

All replies welcome
Touching whether Jesus is correct or not and where it actually came from is "probably" all semantics. My name is different in other languages and it still means me...My name doesn't function in Spanish without a change, it doesn't fit the language.

I think, in general, we should operate within whatever the spoken language is in a culture lest we sound pretentious. If in private prayer it's a super big deal (it is to me) then work out your own salvation there. You aren't alone in the query but it's kind of personal and I don't think there's anything "sinister" about the English translation of His name beyond probably English itself. It's weird and I'm a native speaker.

I'll give a super silly example. Suppose that I had no interest in saying anything Egyptian but I speak English. On is a city in ancient Egypt (Genesis)...how am I supposed to speak English then? With extreme and likely impossible difficulty.

There are a good few other coincidental anomalies within English that contrast with biblical language and noticing them is no problem on a personal level (I don't think) but publicly drawing attention to them is inappropriate to me. Most people wouldn't ever think of a certain word outside of its defined context and if you decided to point it out, please please ask yourself what spirit you are doing so in and what good purpose there is in it.

I could go "on" and "on" about this but unless this is a crisis point for you, I won't.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I find it strange that we have differing opinions on God's name but not on Jesus name, the majority of people all say Jesus even though the Hebrew language doesn't have any J sounds, and it didn't come into the English language until the 16th century.
There is nothing strange about this. The New Testament was written in Greek, and in Greek the name Jesus is IESOUS. The King James translators followed the practice of represent the sound "yay" as "J' since "J" is more commonly used in English. So all the Hebrew words with "Y" are written with "J", e.g. Yehoshua = Joshua.

This probably originated with Jerome's Latin Vulgate (4th century) which used "J" for Jesus. Then all the other English translations before the JKB also used "J" and therefore the world now knows about JESUS in all English translation. But in Spanish that is pronounced as "Yay-soos" since in Spanish "J" is pronounced as "yay".

There is no need to speak about "Yeshua" (derived from Yehoshua) since this is not how Jesus is recognized worldwide. In fact YAHSHUA would be even more accurate, since it means GOD IS [OUR]SALVATION IN Hebrew. But Jesus is also YAHWEH and I AM THAT I AM or simply I AM.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The wonder of names in the Word leaps out when one becomes aware that they are not translated into the spoken languages of this age, no, rather they are transliterated.
Jesus, John, Elizabeth, Joseph, Benjamin, Levi, Isaiah, Jesse, David, etc., all are not translation but transliterations. When we know what they mean we are given even more light than our previous readings

Having said this, I do believe all who have received the Holy Spirit know much of this without the need of a linguistic background, for if this were the case, no one would know Jesus, or Redeemer God.

Feb 11, 2022
His name isn't a spell...that's something that's been worked into my heart time and again.

Have you considered that the word "name" means more than just what someone is called?

In the name of King George would mean what? Doing something in the "King's name".

That is where believers should start in my view and it isn't really taught for whatever reason. "ask in my name..." doesn't just mean adding "in Jesus name" at the end of a prayer followed by amen...

I'm not trying to knock people that do this or anything but it's not the words themselves so be careful about that becoming rote. It's a personal prayer, personalize it...it's to a person :)

Touching whether Jesus is correct or not and where it actually came from is "probably" all semantics. My name is different in other languages and it still means me...My name doesn't function in Spanish without a change, it doesn't fit the language.

I think, in general, we should operate within whatever the spoken language is in a culture lest we sound pretentious. If in private prayer it's a super big deal (it is to me) then work out your own salvation there. You aren't alone in the query but it's kind of personal and I don't think there's anything "sinister" about the English translation of His name beyond probably English itself. It's weird and I'm a native speaker.

I'll give a super silly example. Suppose that I had no interest in saying anything Egyptian but I speak English. On is a city in ancient Egypt (Genesis)...how am I supposed to speak English then? With extreme and likely impossible difficulty.

There are a good few other coincidental anomalies within English that contrast with biblical language and noticing them is no problem on a personal level (I don't think) but publicly drawing attention to them is inappropriate to me. Most people wouldn't ever think of a certain word outside of its defined context and if you decided to point it out, please please ask yourself what spirit you are doing so in and what good purpose there is in it.

I could go "on" and "on" about this but unless this is a crisis point for you, I won't.
I'm sorry you feel that way, I do notl feel that asking the question about the original Hebrew name of Jesus to be inappropriate on a Christian forum, and yes it matters to me a great deal as does plenty of others who choose to use a different name than Jesus, that is closer to his original name. The Bible states that every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth (Phil 2:10) so I feel it would be proper to know that name in its authentic form.
I personally feel that after praying about it, the answer gets revealed.
I don't quite know what you mean by, What spirit am I doing it in?
I would of thought it was obvious🤔
I take it you know there is a thread on God's name in the forum?
They are important threads.

Feb 11, 2022
How do you pronounce those words?

Or were not all replies welcome, after all?
Of course all replies are welcome, but your answer was mystifying, the subject was, The name of Jesus, and you gave me a list of Bible names beginning with J?
And how do I pronounce what words?

CS1

May 23, 2012
All replies welcome
God fully knows His name in every language. If the context of HIS name was held to mean only in the Hebrew language, nobody would be saved. And gentiles would not be accepted. Jesus is His name or Jesus, or Ježíš, Y'shua.

The part many forget about languages is GOD created the different ones in the book of Genesis.

Feb 11, 2022
God fully knows His name in every language. If the context of HIS name was held to mean only in the Hebrew language, nobody would be saved. And gentiles would not be accepted. Jesus is His name or Jesus, or Ježíš, Y'shua.

The part many forget about languages is GOD created the different ones in the book of Genesis.
Thanks for your input

Inquisitor

Mar 17, 2022
Thanks for your reply, but to me God and Jesus are separate, Jesus is the Son of God, but I welcome your input.
Not sure that you can separate them easily.

John 14:7
If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.