John 11:43-44

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

How Did Lazarus Come Forth?

• he just kind of hovered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • he inch-wormed, like break-dancing

• rolled out on his side

• he hopped out, like doing the pogo-dance

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • scooted out on his bum

• other ((please explain in comments))

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • good grief, post, what kind of thread is this??

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
And when He thus had spoken, He cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth!
And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with grave clothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin.
Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.
(John 11:43-44)
bound hand and foot -- He saith, "loose him"

so how exactly does a man bound hand and foot "come forth" ?
i'm just wondering what that looks like. in detail -- how y'all picture it?

appreciate responses :)

Mar 28, 2016
I would offer the Holy Spirit used that occasion as a historically true parable, hiding the spiritual meaning from the lost.

Therefore showing us that Lazarus had no qualifier of his own (no ears to hear the Spirit ) by which he could hear the voice of resurrection as the last trump. A picture of the last day when in the twinkling of the eye those on earth as those fast asleep, in a dead sleep will meet together with those here on earth and receive their new incorruptible bodies. 6 times in the book of John Christ refers to the final resurrection as the "last day" the same day in the twinkling of the eye the lost receive the second death .

The removal of his grave clothes indicates the body of death. In respect to others other than Christ they will be removed together as they arise to new spirit life

And I knew that thou hearest me always: but because of the people which stand by I said it, that they may believe that thou hast sent me.And when he thus had spoken, he cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth.And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go John 11;42-44

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Maybe the "common" understanding of the burial clothes is not quite right Bones.

The most important find, however, remained undisturbed in one of the tomb’s small chambers. “In the third level [of the tomb], which is the lowest level, we found … the skeleton of a person with a burial shroud still over his shoulders,” reported Dr. Tabor. But even more remarkable, the man’s body had been wrapped with two pieces of fabric—one around the body and a separate, smaller piece around the head, just as described in John’s Gospel .
https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/g...-first-century-burial-confirms-gospel-details

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I'd never thought about it before, but I suppose hopping as on a pogo stick would be most likely.

The story is a good illustration of those who are coming to Jesus: they are willing, but can't get free of the bonds of death all by themselves. They need the help of those who are already free.

Dec 12, 2013
Can we deduce from the text he was tied up or bound up like a mummy where he could not walk or had to hop? The fact that he came forth seems to indicate that he could walk in my view......

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
so how exactly does a man bound hand and foot "come forth" ? i'm just wondering what that looks like. in detail -- how y'all picture it?
It is really quite simple. Lazarus stood up from where he was lying, fully alive, but unable to move out. Therefore his grave clothes has to be removed in order to give him back his mobility. Then he "came forth" as commanded.

carl11

Oct 20, 2017
It is really quite simple. Lazarus stood up from where he was lying, fully alive, but unable to move out. Therefore his grave clothes has to be removed in order to give him back his mobility. Then he "came forth" as commanded.
But how did he hear ?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
the text does say "bound hand and foot"

and the text does say "
he that was dead came forth"

so i'm awful skeptical about assuming
he wasn't bound hand and foot and/or he didn't come forth out.

P

pottersclay

I suppose he came out as a prisoner would when in shakles and cuffs. Jesus said my sheep hear my voice and obey.
The scriptures would suggest that he was not enbombed with the traditional herbs Jesus was told that he stinks. Which may also indicate that he came from a poor household and perhaps was prepared the best they could.
Not knowing the time of his passing also could play a part in the preparation as he was to be at rest before sundown.

Further because of his sickness it could of been handled differently than traditional means. Using his bed clothes and wraps asa covering. High fever sometimes cause seziers which may explain the bonding.

My spelling is less than a 4 yr olds hope you get the picture:(

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
And what happened with the smell in the tomb?

Was it still there or was it supernaturally eradicated during the body resurrection?

Mar 28, 2016
Can we deduce from the text he was tied up or bound up like a mummy where he could not walk or had to hop? The fact that he came forth seems to indicate that he could walk in my view......
The grave cloths being removed I think represented the receiving of our new incorruptible bodies. The goal of our new faith, receiving the end of it.

I would think the point is more Lazarus had no qualifier by which he could hear the voice of Christ, the gospel of our salvation . He gave him ears to hear what the Spirit not seen, was saying …... rise Lazarus, a picture of the final resurrection on the last day .

It was the cruz of His ministry the spirutl blind and deaf heard the voice of God as the trtmp of God

John 9:39 And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.

Isaiah 29:1 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

When John the Baptist had doubt as to if the Son of man was the Christ . Jesus confirmed he was the one to give spiritual sight to the blind and those who can walk by faith as that not seen can walk and the lepers as those spiritual dead no sensitivity to the Spirit and those dead in their trespasses and sins are raised to new spirit life, as the gift of faith. to those poor as spiritually bankrupt. Which new riches did come from hearing Christ .Not of John nor Lazarus.

Luke 7:2 Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
The scriptures would suggest that he was not enbombed with the traditional herbs Jesus was told that he stinks. Which may also indicate that he came from a poor household and perhaps was prepared the best they could.
Not knowing the time of his passing also could play a part in the preparation as he was to be at rest before sundown.
John 11:17 & 39 says he had been in the tomb 4 days.

i don't think the implication is poverty and lack of proper burial. he had a tomb; that's not indicating they couldn't afford to prepare the body. and he was bound in graveclothes, again indicating proper burial.
4 days. i think the implication is that the amount of decay over that time period would have naturally outstripped the ability of the spices to cover the odor.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
And when He thus had spoken, He cried with a loud voice, Lazarus, come forth!
And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with grave clothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin.
Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.
(John 11:43-44)
bound hand and foot -- He saith, "loose him"

so how exactly does a man bound hand and foot "come forth" ?
i'm just wondering what that looks like. in detail -- how y'all picture it?

appreciate responses :)

When moslem die, the body wrapped in white cloth

How jews bury the dead

Seem to me In moslem, the bound is not very tight, easy to escape.