John 3:5

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 24, 2012
John 3:5 (King James Version) - Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

In this verse is Jesus saying someone must be baptized in order to be saved?

Jan 12, 2019
John 3:5 (King James Version) - Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Under the gospel of the kingdom preached during the 4 gospels and early acts, water baptism was a requirement, in addition to believing in Jesus as the son of God. Mark 16:16.

But now we are under the gospel of grace, where one is saved by faith in Jesus death burial and resurrection. Water baptism is no longer required. 1 cor 15.

L

Locoponydirtman

(not by works that [are] in righteousness that we did but according to His kindness,) He did save us, through a bathing of regeneration, and a renewing of the Holy Spirit,
Titus 3:5 YLT1898

Looks to me like a close parallel.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
John 3:5 (King James Version) - Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. In this verse is Jesus saying someone must be baptized in order to be saved?
No. Here "water" is a metaphor for the Gospel, and we have this Scripture to confirm that the Word of God is equated to water: That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the Word (Eph 5:26)

Peter makes the connection even clearer (1 Peter 1:23-25) (capitaization added where necessary): Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the Word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the Word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the Word which by the Gospel is preached unto you.

James confirms this teaching in James 1:18: Of his own will begat* he us with the Word of Truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.

*Begat = gave birth to = born of God, born of the Spirit, born from above.

Paul said that the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation (Rom 1:16) which means that the Holy Spirit supernaturally uses the Gospel to convict and convince sinners to be saved.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013

Yes...…..BUT...….it is the Holy Spirit baptism...…...NOT water baptism

The baptism of the Holy Spirit IS NOT a work of man...…….water baptism IS a work of man, and there is no work man can do to earn his salvation.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Under the gospel of the kingdom preached during the 4 gospels and early acts, water baptism was a requirement, in addition to believing in Jesus as the son of God. Mark 16:16. But now we are under the gospel of grace, where one is saved by faith in Jesus death burial and resurrection. Water baptism is no longer required. 1 cor 15.
This is FALSE TEACHING from Hyper Dispensationalism. Water baptism is still a commandment of Christ, but no one is born again through water baptism. That is the false teaching of baptismal regeneration.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

Perhaps, were you to reread dthe stody of the woman at the well, you will understand differenctly...I do not wish sto exact an understanding...

Jan 12, 2019
This is FALSE TEACHING from Hyper Dispensationalism. Water baptism is still a commandment of Christ, but no one is born again through water baptism. That is the false teaching of baptismal regeneration.
As Long as you agree that it’s not required for salvation now, we are in the same page.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Water... water of the womb.. natural birth

Later... born of the Spirit at salvation.

No water baptism involved.

Dec 9, 2011

JESUS said that the words HE speaks they are SPIRIT and they are life so then why would he make h2o baptism a must do when HE said a person has to be born of water and spirit?
Born of water and spirit means a person must be born naturally physically here on earth and then after that their spirit must be born again.

John 6:63
King James Version

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, [they] are spirit, and [they] are life.

John 4:23-24
King James Version

23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

sidenote:the thief on the cross was not h2o baptized

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014

No. In regards to the word "water" in John 3:5, there are those who would argue that the natural sense of the passage parallels "water" with being born out of a mother’s womb (verse 4) and with "flesh" (verse 6). Simply stated in that case, Jesus told Nicodemus that in order to see the kingdom of God two births are necessary. The first is a physical, literal, "flesh" birth (which is, of course, accompanied by amniotic "water") and the second is Spirit.

There are also those who would argue that Jesus mentions "living water" in John 4:10, 14; 7:37-39 and in John 7:38-39, we read - "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. But this He spoke concerning the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the source of living water and spiritual cleansing. If "water" is arbitrarily defined as baptism, then we could just as justifiably say, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living baptism" in John 7:38. If this sounds ridiculous, it is no more so than the idea that water baptism is the source or the means of becoming born again. So to automatically read "baptism" into John 3:5 simply because it mentions "water" is unwarranted. Baptismal regeneration is a false doctrine.

Yet there are still others who would argue that "water" is used in the Bible as an emblem of the Word of God, and in such uses it is associated with cleansing or washing. (John 15:3; Ephesians 5:26) When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begets new life, Divine life, so that we are said to become "partakers of the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4). The new birth is brought to pass through "incorruptible seed, by the Word of God, which lives and abides forever" (I Peter 1:23), but the Holy Spirit is the Agent who accomplishes the miracle of regeneration.