Journals

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
Not sure if it's been suggested but, how about a Journal thread? It would give us an opportunity to learn more about each other -- get a peek into each others lives, hope's, dreams, prayer requests... or is that what the member intro thread is for? 🤔

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Not sure if it's been suggested but, how about a Journal thread? It would give us an opportunity to learn more about each other -- get a peek into each others lives, hope's, dreams, prayer requests... or is that what the member intro thread is for? 🤔
Thread? Threads are made by users. You just created a thread suggesting Journals. Do you mean a subforum?
The suggestions forum is a bit of a waste. They have only ever taken one or two ideas from it in the years it's been up.
Many of the suggestions are ideas for new subforums, which is nearly a guarantee won't be used as Robo wants to keep the number of those down to a smaller number, which is actually smart, I think.
Most other suggestions require modifying the site for custom use, which the software the site is built on doesn't handle well.
Look at the chat apps. He had three up, but no iPhone. Now the ones that he did have eventually broke and he just began removing them as well. So even things that existed were removed rather than fixed. So new stuff doesn't seem likely.

G

Godsgirl83

Sometimes the "miscellaneous" or "blog" forums will have journal like threads individuals make, but it's not often people post super personal stuff. Seems like even the personal, serious post get derailed and attacked, sadly.

Genipher

Jan 6, 2019
Thread? Threads are made by users. You just created a thread suggesting Journals. Do you mean a subforum?
The suggestions forum is a bit of a waste. They have only ever taken one or two ideas from it in the years it's been up.
Many of the suggestions are ideas for new subforums, which is nearly a guarantee won't be used as Robo wants to keep the number of those down to a smaller number, which is actually smart, I think.
Most other suggestions require modifying the site for custom use, which the software the site is built on doesn't handle well.
Look at the chat apps. He had three up, but no iPhone. Now the ones that he did have eventually broke and he just began removing them as well. So even things that existed were removed rather than fixed. So new stuff doesn't seem likely.
Yes. Subforum.

Ah, well. That's too bad that this site isn't being updated and improved.

Evmur

Feb 28, 2021
London
christianchat.com
Well there is a blog section, the only thing I would say about the blog section is that you don't seem to be able to make your own personal collection of articles "The Evmur blog" that would serve as a journal ... wouldn't it?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Yes. Subforum.

Ah, well. That's too bad that this site isn't being updated and improved.
There was a platform change just over three years ago :) I am not sure if in the almost twenty years prior to that, any changes had been implemented (partially because I have only been here for six years ;)). Anyways, the change of three years ago was fairly massive, and did improve the site in quite a few ways (please do not ask me to enumerate them LOL), though some good aspects were lost, too. Making changes all the time seems counter productive, because many are technologically challenged to begin with, and also have a hard time adjusting to change. I took a few months' hiatus shortly after the platform change, and when I returned, it was like learning everything all over again, and I still do not know/understand all the ins and outs. This platform is not able to be easily modified, either, and as has been mentioned multiple times in other suggestions' threads, some things have not even been able to be fixed when they were found to be not working properly (as with the chat app downloads and even the ability to monetarily support this site). I suppose if one were an accomplished coder, one could develop and upgrade a site platform themselves. I cannot imagine what would be involved in such...

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
There was a platform change just over three years ago :) I am not sure if in the almost twenty years prior to that, any changes had been implemented (partially because I have only been here for six years ;)). Anyways, the change of three years ago was fairly massive, and did improve the site in quite a few ways (please do not ask me to enumerate them LOL), though some good aspects were lost, too. Making changes all the time seems counter productive, because many are technologically challenged to begin with, and also have a hard time adjusting to change. I took a few months' hiatus shortly after the platform change, and when I returned, it was like learning everything all over again, and I still do not know/understand all the ins and outs. This platform is not able to be easily modified, either, and as has been mentioned multiple times in other suggestions' threads, some things have not even been able to be fixed when they were found to be not working properly (as with the chat app downloads and even the ability to monetarily support this site). I suppose if one were an accomplished coder, one could develop and upgrade a site platform themselves. I cannot imagine what would be involved in such...
It took me a year to get used to the new format. I believe that you and I each had a rep power over 500 which was kind of unreal. I do like the reaction icons in the new format though. :)

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
I realize I can't "no bump" this and it's an old suggestion...

but blogs are lightly trafficked and seem to suit your purpose.

In order to make it suit that purpose though I would suggest you think hard about you are going to organize your journal prior to starting it since you can't edit a post past 5 minutes.

If you could you might do something like "entry 53: my day in Rome" or "I decided to change the format starting with post 68" etc.

So since you can't do that, think of a way around the edit and type the journal with the limitations in mind. Like how you are going to respond to people posting and how to do that. The information on how to link a particular post (with the number as a hyperlink) would be helpful.

Or each post having a subject matter within the beginning of the post?

Perhaps guidelines on how discussion would go within the journal since it seems like getting a journal clogged with a conversation might not be ideal for others browsing. Or perhaps a secondary thread for responses to said journal so that readers don't have to sift past that if they are just looking for entries.

Maybe the format for outside links and how to search for them on a search engine if people are leery about links or when posting pics make sure they are formatted correctly to be visible if they have text since guests can't see them when they click on them.

Also maybe that it might be an intermittent work over many years with long gaps or each day with an explanatory post if you'll be away. People do like to follow blogs but if they think it's a "dead blog" they may have less interest. I don't like to cater "too" much to other people with formatting but it is useful if you want to share to have it in a well laid out format.

As opposed to text walls or posts that are almost TL;DR (like this one maybe ;) )

Stuff like that.

I've been wanting to start a journal/blog for quite a long time despite the super light traffic to compliment other things I do on the net but I'll confess that the limitations have stopped me for a while. Thanks for the suggestion because it's expanded my horizons on that front :)