Just say NO to easter!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Or, we don't bother with "religious holidays/celebrations" at all.

Personally I Don't have to be reminded that Jesus Died for me, as my perfect SIN OFFERING that cleanses me. I LIVE in it every day, which is what Christians do. we had quite a few visitors in Church, and there was an Evangelistc sermon, with a call at the end, and many people responded. That was a good thing.
sometimes, it is hard to " get up" for Easter or Christmas when we celebrate and thank God for His Son daily..

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Or how the Word "Easter" is the Latin word for "Passover".
The 1611 KJV keeps the Latin term but the later Cambridge/Oxford translation replaces the Latin with the Hebrew....why? I have no clue. Like Peter is still kept in Latin form instead of Hebrew "Kep.has" both of which mean rock/stone. However what I find hilarious is that in Hebrew the word "Peter" is the word for maternal firstborn....unlike the paternal firstborn.

Gotta remember that the Bible was written in 4 languages and has been translated through several. Some traditions have been created and kept from the translators....why? Dunno.
Just like the numbering system of chapter and verse numbers. Never was in the original....but was placed later to obfuscate certain truths.

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
Or, we don't bother with "religious holidays/celebrations" at all.

Personally I Don't have to be reminded that Jesus Died for me, as my perfect SIN OFFERING that cleanses me. I LIVE in it every day, which is what Christians do. we had quite a few visitors in Church, and there was an Evangelistc sermon, with a call at the end, and many people responded. That was a good thing.
While I agree with your summary, forgetfulness was at the root of much of the early Israelites problems. When things were going smoothly, they tended to go their own way and lost their focus and purpose. All of the instructions and Holydays God instituted were for reminders of why He had chosen them, and reminders to keep their faith in God, rather than themselves. We are no different.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Could you elaborate on your thought here?
Yes...
But it's a complicated and drawn out discussion because of all the nuances. I'm on my way out for the dreaded clothes and shoe shopping. I'll explain further later today or tomorrow.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
Or how the Word "Easter" is the Latin word for "Passover".
The 1611 KJV keeps the Latin term but the later Cambridge/Oxford translation replaces the Latin with the Hebrew....why? I have no clue. Like Peter is still kept in Latin form instead of Hebrew "Kep.has" both of which mean rock/stone. However what I find hilarious is that in Hebrew the word "Peter" is the word for maternal firstborn....unlike the paternal firstborn.

Gotta remember that the Bible was written in 4 languages and has been translated through several. Some traditions have been created and kept from the translators....why? Dunno.
Just like the numbering system of chapter and verse numbers. Never was in the original....but was placed later to obfuscate certain truths.
As i mentioned to another member, if you read literally into text you're sort of lost in text because certain idioms or words cannot be translated 100% without losing some of the cultural meaning behind them.

stilllearning

Oct 4, 2021
It is the god of this world's deepest desire to be worshipped. He fell for this reason, we are in spiritual warfare for this reason, he tempted mankind to sin against God in the beginning for this reason. If these Christian holidays we keep are truly worship of him in anyway. Then we would not find the world so readily available to offer us sources in order that we would condemn and stop our worship of God in our Christian holidays.

The world agrees that these holiday's worship the god of this world. As Christ asked does Satan cast out Satan, a kingdom divided falls. We can agree that the god of this world seeks to be worshipped. If these holidays did in fact worship him why would his world seek to enlighten us with the facts in order that we stop?

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
We can agree that the god of this world seeks to be worshipped.
can we agree on that? I don't know... I think Satan wants to deceive us into giving up on God. He is the great deceiver. I don't think Satan cares if we worship him or not, as long as we don't worship our Sovereign God....

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Just say NO to people saying NO to Easter.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
:ROFL: Yeah, he's always been that way.... measured and factual.... very irritating. (personally, I think it has to do with only seeing clearly with one eye, but I could be wrong...) :LOL::ROFL:
I presume the "one eye" crack was about me?

I'm keeping an eye on you brother.
: )

stilllearning

Oct 4, 2021
can we agree on that? I don't know... I think Satan wants to deceive us into giving up on God. He is the great deceiver. I don't think Satan cares if we worship him or not, as long as we don't worship our Sovereign God....
Worship of false gods in scripture and even in the world today, I would find Satan behind that and worship he gets and desires. He wants to set his thrown above God's and be like the Most High.

He literally told Christ he would give him all the kingdoms of this world if Christ worshipped him. In Revelation 13 it says they worship the dragon. Just seems to me that he desires to be worshipped.

The servant is not greater than the master if he wanted the master to worship him reckon he would want the same from the servants.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Could you elaborate on your thought here?
Ok....
I'm Back from shopping. I did manage to get a side trip to a book store and got a copy of a book about Sepphoris in Galilee. (Where Jesus commuted to work everyday when grown but younger) I am so giddy about finding it....but you want to know about the Chapter and Verse numbering system.

This numbering system came about shortly AFTER the printing press was invented. And it became clear that the scriptures were going to become available to the common man eventually due to the ongoing rapid advancements in science and technology.

The Catholic Church still ruled most of the World (through its Emperor) but it's hold was being eroded.

Now there are certain concepts that are very clear or are made clear by any serious student of scriptures. And the Catholic (General) Church was in direct violation of these basic concepts.

Side note example: When Jesus walked on the sea of Galilee he was demonstrating his contempt for the created traditions and many rules the leaders had made from His Laws. And then went around deliberately violating some of the rules/traditions He found most egregious. Such as ethnicity, social class, handwashing, and etc. The chapter numbers and verse numbers obfuscate this basic principle being acted out. The Catholic Church was ALL about its traditions and prejudices between the ethnic groups even though it governed them.
Now before this anytime numbering was considered, the scriptures concerning "measuring God" were brought up and the matter instantly dropped. No one before this time had enough hubris to consider such a notion of measuring God's word...much less publishing it measured. However, the leadership thought so little of the common man learning to read (only nobility was taught the skill in the 1400's-1500's) that they decided to include the numbers to make the common man be an affront to God and still not understand the scriptures (and their own violation of them) all at the same time.
The numbering system was wildly popular for the printers and people alike. (Very addictive as predicted) They could reference selections of scriptures and someone else could look and see for themselves in their own copy quite readily.
Before this time, paper and ink were so expensive that the small print of natural chapter divisions was always missed due to never being indented or any space/line allowed to make the distinction.

But the chapter and verse numbering divisions were done as a rushed hatchet Job on an existing Bible. It was very difficult to insert these chapter and verse numbers due to the uneven handwritten text....too closely written to understand a more natural place to put the numbers and still accomplish the goals.
But once established...it became exceedingly popular. There are only a few Bibles in existence today that are without this numbering system.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Ok....
I'm Back from shopping. I did manage to get a side trip to a book store and got a copy of a book about Sepphoris in Galilee. (Where Jesus commuted to work everyday when grown but younger) I am so giddy about finding it....but you want to know about the Chapter and Verse numbering system.

This numbering system came about shortly AFTER the printing press was invented. And it became clear that the scriptures were going to become available to the common man eventually due to the ongoing rapid advancements in science and technology.

The Catholic Church still ruled most of the World (through its Emperor) but it's hold was being eroded.

Now there are certain concepts that are very clear or are made clear by any serious student of scriptures. And the Catholic (General) Church was in direct violation of these basic concepts.

Side note example: When Jesus walked on the sea of Galilee he was demonstrating his contempt for the created traditions and many rules the leaders had made from His Laws. And then went around deliberately violating some of the rules/traditions He found most egregious. Such as ethnicity, social class, handwashing, and etc. The chapter numbers and verse numbers obfuscate this basic principle being acted out. The Catholic Church was ALL about its traditions and prejudices between the ethnic groups even though it governed them.
Now before this anytime numbering was considered, the scriptures concerning "measuring God" were brought up and the matter instantly dropped. No one before this time had enough hubris to consider such a notion of measuring God's word...much less publishing it measured. However, the leadership thought so little of the common man learning to read (only nobility was taught the skill in the 1400's-1500's) that they decided to include the numbers to make the common man be an affront to God and still not understand the scriptures (and their own violation of them) all at the same time.
The numbering system was wildly popular for the printers and people alike. (Very addictive as predicted) They could reference selections of scriptures and someone else could look and see for themselves in their own copy quite readily.
Before this time, paper and ink were so expensive that the small print of natural chapter divisions was always missed due to never being indented or any space/line allowed to make the distinction.

But the chapter and verse numbering divisions were done as a rushed hatchet Job on an existing Bible. It was very difficult to insert these chapter and verse numbers due to the uneven handwritten text....too closely written to understand a more natural place to put the numbers and still accomplish the goals.
But once established...it became exceedingly popular. There are only a few Bibles in existence today that are without this numbering system.
Interesting theory. I don't agree with most of your conclusions, but it's interesting.
How many places in scripture have you found that show deliberate obfuscation of the "true" meaning of the words?
Personally, I think that most of the inserted punctuation has served more to clarify and group thoughts into a logical sequence. There are a few places that the "punctuators" seem to have missed it by a touch, but I don't see that as any kind of satanic plot to confuse us and to make us an "affront" to God...

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Interesting theory. I don't agree with most of your conclusions, but it's interesting.
How many places in scripture have you found that show deliberate obfuscation of the "true" meaning of the words?
Personally, I think that most of the inserted punctuation has served more to clarify and group thoughts into a logical sequence. There are a few places that the "punctuators" seem to have missed it by a touch, but I don't see that as any kind of satanic plot to confuse us and to make us an "affront" to God...
It's fine if you don't agree....
But do you have any supporting facts or ideas to refute anything I've said?

And I've not said a thing about punctuation...just the numbers.