Just the priests were allowed to eat the meat sacrificed

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
A book I'm reading - claims that the meat sacrificed by people could be eaten by both the priests and the people who had sacrificed. But I looked it up in the Bible, and I see no evidence that anyone but the priests were allowed to eat that meat. I also know that under the New Covenant, all those who have accepted Jesus as Lord (God) and Savior of their life, are regarded by God as being the new and better kind of 'priests". I like to figure out the Old Testament ways of worshiping God, as I know it is all a picture of our way of worshiping God under the New Covenant.

Here's the passage I found - that to me - reveals the meat sacrificed - was only to be eaten by the priests:
Lev 2:8-10

8 And thou shalt bring the meat offering that is made of these things unto the LORD: and when it is presented unto the priest, he shall bring it unto the altar.

9 And the priest shall take from the meat offering a memorial thereof, and shall burn it upon the altar: it is an offering made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the LORD.

10 And that which is left of the meat offering shall be Aaron's and his sons': it is a thing most holy of the offerings of the LORD made by fire.
KJV

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hello MyrtleTrees :) This makes me wonder: is the whole meat offering considered a sacrifice? Because it seems only a portion (the memorial) of the offering is burnt, "And that which is left of the meat offering shall be Aaron's and his sons'" :unsure:

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Hello MyrtleTrees :) This makes me wonder: is the whole meat offering considered a sacrifice? Because it seems only a portion (the memorial) of the offering is burnt, "And that which is left of the meat offering shall be Aaron's and his sons'":unsure:
It sounds to me that all meat sacrifices were for forgiveness of sins, with the animals killed - being pictures of Jesus dying on the cross for sins. Common people did such sacrifices, but weren't allowed to eat of the meat - only the priests and their families were allowed to eat it. And all meat was to be eaten in the tabernacle. The common people weren't allowed to come into the tabernacle, it sounds like. They were to offer their sacrifices in the courtyard outside of the tabernacle.

Lev 1:2-5
2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, If any man of you bring an offering unto the LORD, ye shall bring your offering of the cattle, even of the herd, and of the flock.

3 If his offering be a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD.

4 And he shall put his hand upon the head of the burnt offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him.

5 And he shall kill the bullock before the LORD: and the priests, Aaron's sons, shall bring the blood, and sprinkle the blood round about upon the altar that is by the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
KJV

Mar 28, 2016
A book I'm reading - claims that the meat sacrificed by people could be eaten by both the priests and the people who had sacrificed. But I looked it up in the Bible, and I see no evidence that anyone but the priests were allowed to eat that meat. I also know that under the New Covenant, all those who have accepted Jesus as Lord (God) and Savior of their life, are regarded by God as being the new and better kind of 'priests". I like to figure out the Old Testament ways of worshiping God, as I know it is all a picture of our way of worshiping God under the New Covenant.

Here's the passage I found - that to me - reveals the meat sacrificed - was only to be eaten by the priests:

8 And thou shalt bring the meat offering that is made of these things unto the LORD: and when it is presented unto the priest, he shall bring it unto the altar.

9 And the priest shall take from the meat offering a memorial thereof, and shall burn it upon the altar: it is an offering made by fire, of a sweet savour unto the LORD.

10 And that which is left of the meat offering shall be Aaron's and his sons': it is a thing most holy of the offerings of the LORD made by fire.
KJV
In the ceremonies as a gospel sign to the world And not a sign to the flesh of the Jew. The tribe of Levi were used to represent those who had become born again like Abel the first martyr in Genesis. Other tribes had other purposes of the gospel . Dan the Spirit of Judgement etc.

It was not a sign of confirming they had become new creatures . But again to the unbelieving world the gospel. when Aarons two Sons dsirting to become priest they were batised with water .But desired some reconnition and as a false confirmation aded thier own personal self edifying touch. they were consumed but the clothing was not touched by the fire.

That priesthood after Melchezedek anticipated the new order it was signified beforehand with Melchezedek a theophany . Jesus came to fulfil that in the flesh, from the tribe of Judah . It opened the the priesthood of believers men and woman prophets and apostles sent with the gospel. The sign of Joel

The reformation had come. The carinal ceremonial shadows of the gospel were revealed by faith. This caused much confusion and the birth of many lying wonders. No more ceremonial food to wonder after.

Once the disciples went to town to eat and when they returned. Christ said he was not hungry, that he had meat that they did not know of . The meat of doing the will of the father. The shadow became sight the revealing of the wonder.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
In the ceremonies as a gospel sign to the world And not a sign to the flesh of the Jew. The tribe of Levi were used to represent those who had become born again like Abel the first martyr in Genesis. Other tribes had other purposes of the gospel . Dan the Spirit of Judgement etc.

It was not a sign of confirming they had become new creatures . But again to the unbelieving world the gospel. when Aarons two Sons dsirting to become priest they were batised with water .But desired some reconnition and as a false confirmation aded thier own personal self edifying touch. they were consumed but the clothing was not touched by the fire.

That priesthood after Melchezedek anticipated the new order it was signified beforehand with Melchezedek a theophany . Jesus came to fulfil that in the flesh, from the tribe of Judah . It opened the the priesthood of believers men and woman prophets and apostles sent with the gospel. The sign of Joel

The reformation had come. The carinal ceremonial shadows of the gospel were revealed by faith. This caused much confusion and the birth of many lying wonders. No more ceremonial food to wonder after.

Once the disciples went to town to eat and when they returned. Christ said he was not hungry, that he had meat that they did not know of . The meat of doing the will of the father. The shadow became sight the revealing of the wonder.
True, the priests of Old Testament times weren't always true children of God. But the old Testament priesthood was just a figurative picture of the new and better kind of priesthood that later came, as a result of the coming in of the New Covenant.

1 Peter 2:5

5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
KJV

1 Peter 2:9

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
KJV

John 6:34-35

34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.

35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
KJV
The new kind of "bread" under the New Covenant, was the "bread" of having new spiritual life through the indwelling of God's Spirit. And the 12 loaves of shewbread represent spiritual food for the 12 tribes of Israel, which are a figure of the whole church of God on earth, under the New Covenant. See the 12 tribes of Israel (Revelation, chapter 21) as figuratively representing the whole church of God from earth, in the book of Revelation:
Rev 21:24

24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
KJV

notuptome

May 17, 2013
The priests were permitted to eat some of the meat sacrificed in the temple. They were permitted sufficient quantities to sustain themselves and their families.

The prohibition against eating meat sacrificed to idols is not to be confused with this practice. Meat used in pagan sacrifices was often sold at very cheap prices and many poor folks depended upon it to survive. To knowingly eat such meat was a defilement to the Jews especially if they knew the source of the meat.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Mar 28, 2016
True, the priests of Old Testament times weren't always true children of God. But the old Testament priesthood was just a figurative picture of the new and better kind of priesthood that later came, as a result of the coming in of the New Covenant.

1 Peter 2:5

5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
KJV

1 Peter 2:9

9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
KJV

John 6:34-35

34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.

35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
KJV
The new kind of "bread" under the New Covenant, was the "bread" of having new spiritual life through the indwelling of God's Spirit. And the 12 loaves of shewbread represent spiritual food for the 12 tribes of Israel, which are a figure of the whole church of God on earth, under the New Covenant. See the 12 tribes of Israel (Revelation, chapter 21) as figuratively representing the whole church of God from earth, in the book of Revelation:
Rev 21:24

24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
KJV

I would agree. Interestingly .Twice that I am aware of. God killed two sons who added what the scriptures call strange fire (not authorized) . Personally taking it upon themselves to add a personal touch or self edifying . Once with Eli's sons and the other with Aarons two sons.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I would agree. Interestingly .Twice that I am aware of. God killed two sons who added what the scriptures call strange fire (not authorized) . Personally taking it upon themselves to add a personal touch or self edifying . Once with Eli's sons and the other with Aarons two sons.
Why do you drag "self edifying" into contexts where it is not relevant and not mentioned (or even hinted) in the Scriptures?

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
True, you're right!

Mar 28, 2016
Why do you drag "self edifying" into contexts where it is not relevant and not mentioned (or even hinted) in the Scriptures?

"Self edifying (Look I did it) destroys Christ's faith that works in us .I think its worth mentioning . Jesus the Son of man, the witness of God did think it was worth mentioning and gave us a example a witness of men

John 4:48Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

John 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work?

Jesu did not need any self- edifying work as a circus seal. (Look I did it.) He did the will of the father that worked in Him Every time and yet without sin

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
"Self edifying (Look I did it) destroys Christ's faith that works in us .I think its worth mentioning . Jesus the Son of man, the witness of God did think it was worth mentioning and gave us a example a witness of men
Only, He didn't.

Jesus says nothing of self-edification in the gospels. Your argument doesn't even make sense; if Jesus performs a miracle, then it destroys the faith of... whom? Jesus? That would be ridiculous. Of the observers? Then it's not self-edifying!

Mar 28, 2016
Only, He didn't.

Mixing faith is required.

Jesus says nothing of self-edification in the gospels. Your argument doesn't even make sense; if Jesus performs a miracle, then it destroys the faith of... whom? Jesus? That would be ridiculous. Of the observers? Then it's not self-edifying!

It does not destroy the unseen work of faith it reveals the unseen will.

Mixing faith the unseen is required.

When Jesus was informing Nicodemus of the greatest miracle possible (.born again never to die) He commanded Nicodemus giving him the power to beleive . . . to marvel or wonder not .Faith (believing God not seen) does not include doubt and wondering.

That the doctrine of purgatory always learning suffering a answer never coming to the conclusion of faith We receive the end from the begging.

Yes he apposes self edifying as false pride. Peter learned that lesson in Mathew 16: 22-23 . He was forgiven of his blasphemy against the apostle Christ the Son of man the temporal seen. Blasphemy against his unseen Holy Spirit is not forgivable.

Jesus gave glory to the unseen father . The One Good teaching Master

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
It does not destroy the unseen work of faith it reveals the unseen will.
WHAT does not destroy...? Your sentence is missing a subject.

Mixing faith the unseen is required.
To invent meaningless bafflegab that is completely unrelated to the text? Um, NO.

That the doctrine of purgatory always learning suffering a answer never coming to the conclusion of faith We receive the end from the begging.
What does purgatory have to do with anything here?

Yes he apposes self edifying as false pride. Peter learned that lesson in Mathew 16: 22-23 . He was forgiven of his blasphemy against the apostle Christ the Son of man the temporal seen. Blasphemy against his unseen Holy Spirit is not forgivable.
That passage has nothing whatsoever to do with "self edifying".

K

Karraster

KJV
Hi there.
The KJV is a bit confusing here with the word "meat". In this passage it means grain. It is fine flour, not an animal.

Mar 28, 2016
WHAT does not destroy...? Your sentence is missing a subject.
My opinion or argument. It supports the mixing of faith or what you call bafflegab .

Bafflegab sound to me like those who do the self edifying work, I did it made a noise and fall backward slain in the spirit .

It shows the what I would call rebellious need of self edifying. Rather than prophecy the tongue of God edifying God .. the gospel as it is written. It falling backward identifies as a sign the spirit of God's judgment. Performing it is considered mockery of God. Yet for all that they continue to wonder.????

What does purgatory have to do with anything here?
Same manner of spirit. . . signs and lying wonders self edifying. rather than by the power of Prophecy the tongue of God working in us not seen, the power of our new faith.

Peter fell by that pride. Thinking he was the key that the gates of hell could never prevail against . He commanded the the Son of man Jesus, forbidding him of doing the work the father working in Jesus. . . .sent him to do. The father gave Jesus words to say" "you have in mind the things of men seen, and not those of God not seen which are things revealed by faith the understanding of God not seen. I would think a good lesson in faith.

That passage has nothing whatsoever to do with "self edifying".
Nothing? Zero?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
My opinion or argument. It supports the mixing of faith or what you call bafflegab .
Actually, it doesn't. Your opinion is largely unbiblical invention.

Bafflegab sound to me like those who do the self edifying work, I did it made a noise and fall backward slain in the spirit .
I use the word "bafflegab" to describe the verbose nonsense you post. Most people don't even bother reading your posts because they are replete with... bafflegab.

It shows the what I would call rebellious need of self edifying. Rather than prophecy the tongue of God edifying God .. the gospel as it is written. It falling backward identifies as a sign the spirit of God's judgment. Performing it is considered mockery of God. Yet for all that they continue to wonder.????
This "paragraph" is a perfect example of bafflegab; meaningless, wordy, and irrelevant.

Same manner of spirit. . . signs and lying wonders self edifying. rather than by the power of Prophecy the tongue of God working in us not seen, the power of our new faith.
Purgatory has nothing to do with signs and wonders.

Nothing. Zero.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Hi there.
The KJV is a bit confusing here with the word "meat". In this passage it means grain. It is fine flour, not an animal.
True, and in fact, in the New Testament, sometimes the word, "meat" just means something to eat.

John 4:32-34

32 But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of.

33 Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat?

34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.
KJV

But it is an outstanding fact, that the priests were allowed to eat both of the bread (the shewbread) and also of the meat taken from the sacrifices. None but the priests and their families were allowed to eat those those things used in the temple or tabernacle worship services.

K

Karraster

Have you considered Deuteronomy 12 ?
6 And thither ye shall bring your burnt offerings, and your sacrifices, and your tithes, and heave offerings of your hand, and your vows, and your freewill offerings, and the firstlings of your herds and of your flocks:
7 And there ye shall eat before the Lord your God, and ye shall rejoice in all that ye put your hand unto, ye and your households, wherein the Lord thy God hath blessed thee.

Feb 28, 2016
K,
you are exactly right, according to Alfred Ederscheim in his 'book' The Temple and its services'...
the 'peace offering' was par-taken of by the offer-ers and who ever they wanted to invite to the feast'...
it was symbolic of having a 'meal with God', and in a 'covenant relationship' a meal was always part of the ceremony...
EX. 24.
And upon the nobles of the children of Israel He laid not His hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink,
this was a 'covenant meal'...
DEUT. 12:7.
And there you shall eat before The LORD your God, and you shall rejoice in all that you put your hand unto,
you and your households, wherein The LORD your God has blessed you.

EX. 24. and DEUT. 12. are speaking of 'covenant meals' which would always be a 'sacrifice'...