Kalina

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
F

FenceMan

As a last name, Kalina can be Polish, Czech or German tracing its origins to the personal name Kalina or the Latin personal names Calixta and Aquilinus.

As a Polish, Czech or Ashkenazic Jewish last name, its origins can be traced to the Slavic word 'kalina' referring to the viburnum or snowball tree (also known as guelder rose). For the Polish and Czech origin it is probably topographic whereas the Jewish last name is directly referring to the plant.

As an Ashkenazic Jewish last name, it may also come from a town named Kalina or Kalino.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the US, an 1880 census found most families with the last name Kalina were residing in the state of Illinois where there were 18-34 individual families with that name.

By the year 1920, a new census revealed the members of the Kalina family had moved all across the United States, though there were still 24-46 families in Illinois and also 24-46 families in Ohio.

The peak of immigration (at least through New York) was around 1888 and 1889 when 20 people with the last name Kalina came over on boats from Europe. The majority of the immigrants came from Bohemia, Austria and Russia.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In England, in an 1891 census, 67% of families with the last name Kalina lived in London. The other 33% (only two families) lived in Staffordshire.

People with the last name Kalina in the United States in 1880 were disproportionately employed as blacksmiths and tailors. 31% of blacksmiths had the name Kalina in 1880 and 23% of tailors had that last name. Whereas only 1% of the general public were blacksmiths and tailors.

A few thousand young men in the US with the last name Kalina were drafted during World War II, many of them first generation immigrants from Eastern Europe.

From 1966 to the present, Kalina's have had a slightly higher than average life expectancy. So be happy if that's your last name!

I got all these details from Ancestry.com.

F

FenceMan

==============================================

are you referring to the 'tree' or his 'smile'???
He's probably referring to the Dr. Kalina "fan club".

F

FenceMan

Am I the only one who finds it a bit odd he's sitting with all his hygienists on a random dock?

F

FenceMan

Wearing a shirt that says "Grandma's Marathon"..... :confused:

Feb 7, 2015
Am I the only one who finds it a bit odd he's sitting with all his hygienists on a random dock?
That's not a random dock. That's on Lake Dorothy, right across Adams Street, north of his office.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
A derivative of Kalina is 'Kalinka' which is the title of one of the most famous Russian folks songs.
The kalinka played a role in the story of Doctor Zhivago, which I watched over new year's eve into day (it is a three hour plus movie). Look at the size of this kalinka! (This is the theme song from the movie :))

[video=youtube;YoIaoVE8lkU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoIaoVE8lkU[/video]

Here is another rendition of the same theme song, without the kalinka, but with 150 dancers :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X4JlDC_WOo

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
That's not a random dock. That's on Lake Dorothy, right across Adams Street, north of his office.
And here I was thinking they had all gone on some exotic (or rustic) dental holiday together :eek:

F

FenceMan

I stand corrected. Then that makes more sense, and I also discovered that Grandma's Marathon is a fairly large marathon held in Duluth. It's named after a place where the race ends which is called Grandma's Restaurant.

Anyway... :D

F

FenceMan

And here I was thinking they had all gone on some exotic (or rustic) dental holiday together :eek:
I know! I imagined they were on some international trip... Like "Dentists Without Borders" :)

F

FenceMan

Kalina Silverman is a woman who has started something called BIG TALK. It is a social experiment which is a method of encouraging deeper conversations and making real connections with people - not just shallow ones.

"I started by approaching strangers and skipping small talk to ask them the question: "What do you want to do before you die?"

I was surprised when people not only shared with me their deepest desires - but told me many moving life stories as well. Some of these conversations with initial strangers turned into friendships I still maintain today. Inspired by my experiences "making Big Talk," I wanted to share what I learned with others."

As with all previous "kalinas", I do not sponsor this person or their product or company or have a connection to any of it. So proceed with wisdom... :)

She also has a BIG TALK card game on Amazon.

F

FenceMan

And now, another introduction!

This guy is Dr. Michael Kalina, DO. His specialties are in General Surgery and Surgical Critical Care. In 2008 he was honored as Trauma Physician of the Year by Christiana Care Health System.

He currently works for Capital Health Surgical Group as the Director of Acute Car Surgery at the Capital Health Medical Center in Pennington, New Jersey - a newer LEEDS-certified building completed in 2011 by Van Note-Harvey Associates, Inc. (can you tell I've done some research?)

"Dr. Kalina has extensive experience in emergency general surgery, neurologic critical care, complicated soft tissue wound management, and complex hernia repair.
Dr. Kalina received his medical degree from New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, completed his internship at St. Clare’s/St. Vincent’s Midtown Hospital and completed his residency in general surgery at St. Barnabas Hospital in Bronx, New York. Dr. Kalina completed his fellowship training in surgical critical care, trauma, and acute care surgery at Christiana Care Health System in Newark, Delaware.

Dr. Kalina is an assistant clinical professor of surgery at Hofstra University School of Medicine in Hempstead, New York and at Thomas Jefferson University, Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Dr. Kalina is also a clinical instructor in surgery at the Physician Assistant programs at Drexel University, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, and Arcadia University.

Dr. Kalina is actively involved in clinical research and has published extensively on a variety of topics pertaining to the management of critically ill surgical and trauma patients. Dr. Kalina is a frequently invited lecturer at regional symposiums, grand rounds, and has presented at national conferences.

Dr. Kalina is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Osteopathic Surgeons. Dr. Kalina is an active member of numerous national and international surgical and trauma societies, including the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma, the Eastern Association for the Surgery of Trauma, the Society of Critical Care Medicine and the American Medical Association.

Dr. Kalina’s clinical interests include abdominal wall reconstruction, gallbladder disease, hernia repair, and diseases of the colon and small intestine."

Dr. Kalina's surgical practice accepts these insurance plans:

• Aetna Choice POS II
  • Aetna HMO
  • Amerihealth HMO
  • AmeriHealth PPO
  • BCBS Blue Card PPO
  • CIGNA HMO
  • CIGNA Open Access
  • CIGNA PPO
  • Great West PPO
  • HealthAmerica HealthAssurance PPO
  • Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
  • IBC Keystone HMO / POS
  • IBC Personal Choice PPO
  • United Healthcare - Direct Choice Plus POS
  • United Healthcare - Direct Options PPO

A review from one former patient of Dr. Kalina:
"This doctor's manner and professionalism extend far beyond anyone'as ability to rate him. He saved my father's life and I cannot say enough about him and his team."

So, though I do not know Dr. Kalina at all and can't recommend him for surgery as I have no experience in dealing with him, if you need his kind of surgical work and are strangely enjoying this thread on all things "kalina", then here you go! :)

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Can you dig up as much on "magenta"? Oh, wait.

[video=youtube;iPPYGJjKVco]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPPYGJjKVco[/video]

LOL :D

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
Can you dig up as much on "magenta"? Oh, wait.

[video=youtube;iPPYGJjKVco]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPPYGJjKVco[/video]

LOL :D
I can still see you.

F

FenceMan

Wow. That's too bad that you don't exist, Magenta! You sure had me fooled! :)

F

FenceMan

KALYNA18 is a Senior Member on CC and also happens to be Ukrainian. If you don't know her, say hello. Or else, maybe I can convince her to come here and write a post about herself... :)