Keep Yourself Pure

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 26, 2011
Skinski,

Just a quick question,do you see the parable about the son as about salvation or is it about restoration? Because if it's not about salvation to begin with but it's about a son that goes into rebellion and is restored it makes a huge difference.
Mat 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Salvation has to do with being saved from something.

Jesus even told us what that "something" was.

Joh 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
Joh 8:35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Free indeed from what? Free from committing sin. Free from being a slave to sin.

Paul taught the same thing...

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
Rom 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Salvation has do with being set free from sin. Yet most who profess Christ today believe that are saved and yet still slaves.

Most people who profess Christ do not believe Jesus. They don't believe Joh8 8:34-36 for they DENY they can be set free in this life. They contend for the assertion that they will always be committing sins.

Of course the parable of the Prodigal Son is about salvation, as it is about restoration. Both are connected together.

There is no such thing as being reconciled to God whilst one is still enslaved to sin. There is no rebellion in salvation.

The Prodigal Son left the pig pen and practically everyone IGNORES that. One person is this thread alluded to "once a son always a son." You can bet "once a son always a son" will not be an acceptable excuse at the judgment.

The truth is people LOVE THEIR SIN and REFUSE TO FORSAKE IT. Yet they soothe their mind with teachings where they can be forgiven without truly repenting.

Nov 26, 2011
What I'm talking about is when you make work's the basis for salvation that is ugly because you have replaced the work of the cross, works is evident after salvation, after your saved you desire to do good works, and anything that comes before or tries to replace the work of the cross is ugly
Who has made works the "basis" of salvation?

The basis of salvation is "abiding in Jesus Christ" for that is the gift God has given us by which we can be granted eternal life.

God is going to judge us all by our deeds, for it is our deeds which reveal whom we serve. The false teachers have thrown deeds right out the window because they have no clue that when Paul states "it is not of works" it is in the context of "works of the law," ie. circumcision, rituals, rule keeping etc.

Deeds are an essential aspect of genuine faith. Inward purity manifests outwardly in upright conduct. The sinning everyday in thought, word and deed crowd are still inwardly filthy as they lack a faith that works by love. They never came to Christ in the manner prescribed in the Bible but came in another way. In so doing they will be rejected at the judgment unless they wake up and repent.

B

BananaPie

What does it mean to be pure? Is not a pure heart to same as inward holiness, and is not God alone the ONLY source of purity, of godliness?

If a pure heart were an outward factor, then why would the Psalmist say, "Create in me a clean heart, O Lord God, and renew a right spirit within me"? :)

C

carey

You stated that you must be clean BEFORE a person can come to Christ, this is a doctrine of works before salvation

The basis of salvation is "abiding in Jesus Christ" for that is the gift God has given us by which we can be granted eternal life.

God is going to judge us all by our deeds, for it is our deeds which reveal whom we serve. The false teachers have thrown deeds right out the window because they have no clue that when Paul states "it is not of works" it is in the context of "works of the law," ie. circumcision, rituals, rule keeping etc.

Deeds are an essential aspect of genuine faith. Inward purity manifests outwardly in upright conduct. The sinning everyday in thought, word and deed crowd are still inwardly filthy as they lack a faith that works by love. They never came to Christ in the manner prescribed in the Bible but came in another way. In so doing they will be rejected at the judgment unless they wake up and repent.

C

carey

"Rebellion of God must cease before forgiveness can be granted" that is a doctrine of works, rebellion towards God only ceases when we accept Jesus as our Lord and saviour, not before, we do not have the power to do this on our own, ONLY with the power of Christ can this be accomplished

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
You have only shown scriptures which teach that Jesus died for us, that is not what I asked for, again I ask...

Show me one Scripture in the Bible which states that "Jesus paid the penalty for your sins."

Galatians 3:14He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
Luke 1:68“Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, because he has come to his people and redeemed them.
Galatians 3:13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”
Galatians 3:14He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.
Romans 5:11Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.
2 Corinthians 5:18All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation:
1 Peter 1:18For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors,
2 Corinthians 5:19that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Mat 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Salvation has to do with being saved from something.

Jesus even told us what that "something" was.

Joh 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
Joh 8:35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Free indeed from what? Free from committing sin. Free from being a slave to sin.

Paul taught the same thing...

Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.
Rom 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Salvation has do with being set free from sin. Yet most who profess Christ today believe that are saved and yet still slaves.

Most people who profess Christ do not believe Jesus. They don't believe Joh8 8:34-36 for they DENY they can be set free in this life. They contend for the assertion that they will always be committing sins.

Of course the parable of the Prodigal Son is about salvation, as it is about restoration. Both are connected together.

There is no such thing as being reconciled to God whilst one is still enslaved to sin. There is no rebellion in salvation.

The Prodigal Son left the pig pen and practically everyone IGNORES that. One person is this thread alluded to "once a son always a son." You can bet "once a son always a son" will not be an acceptable excuse at the judgment.

The truth is people LOVE THEIR SIN and REFUSE TO FORSAKE IT. Yet they soothe their mind with teachings where they can be forgiven without truly repenting.
Wow! Skinskiyou poutthat well or actually God did, and I agree with what is said here and this has been done in me and it was not dome until I finally accepted that I am forgiven past tense back at the cross and this is not for an excuse to sin, it is for me to appreciate so much that I forsook sin in trusting God to show me personally what was next after finalizing that I am forgiven he showed me the resurrection and put in me what he did for the romans that believed Romans 6:1-6. Now what you are claiming is that we will never ever sin again. Well I can't claim that I will never ever sin again I can't predict the future, yet I can trust God daily in thankfulness and I probably won't sin I just live day by day and oif I do sin I have an advocate
Cjhrist Jesus the righteous who knows my heart and is my defender, my redeemer, my Lord and my Savior
Thanks Skinski for coming across with better communication
So tell mesince you are so adamint about what you keep posting aboput being sinless after belief or before is this with you are you sinless? Do you not ever sin anymore or have you ever sinned? Just curious

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012

Yuo are talking about thost that take advantage of this miraculous salvation that is provided through the cross. That is why Paul wrote the Corinthians brcause they did exactly what you have said here, I understand this now you are beinmg clear is this the case as you said?
Paul even wrote to the galatians about adding to the faith and not to do it WOW!!!!!! so you think just because their are all those that take the cross for granted in thinking well i cam do whatever I want God already died and took away my sins therefore Ican do whatever I want?
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hebrews 2:3how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him.

Regardless of which way one ses this as taking advantage or appreciation the fact remains that Christ did die for the sin of this world and has redeemed the whole but not everyone is saved, only by belief that he did what he did and appreciate this so much that God works out the believers salvation in them because knows who actually believes or does not. I think I see what you are trying to say, but Brother I am not one of ythose that takes God's amazing salvation for granted and have rested from me trying to get him to be pleased by what I do or not do. That was ludricrous self effort and I just couldn't do it until Itrusted him in what he did for me and the whole world he has redeemed everyone so that they can come to new life seeing their life here in the physical is rotten and no good can ever come from it. God is Spirit and can only be worshipped in Spirit and truth. This is why we need to believe God be free in the Spirit of Godbeing dead here and now to flesh daily, and just daily each and every day and one will forsake the flesh
Thanks Skinski we are seemingly having a break through

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
What does it mean to be pure? Is not a pure heart to same as inward holiness, and is not God alone the ONLY source of purity, of godliness?

If a pure heart were an outward factor, then why would the Psalmist say, "Create in me a clean heart, O Lord God, and renew a right spirit within me"? :)
And this prayer Psalm of David is fulfilled in and at the cross, so that this prayer willbe done in you. This was David seeing afar off to the cross
David after knowing that this was coming also said in confidence before the redeemer came
Psalm 100:4Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.
And Job said that
Job 19:25I know that my redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand on the earth.
But all this done by Christ is not for one to take advantage of as Skinski has I think been trying to say
Galatians 5:13[ Life by the Spirit ] You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.
Or how will we escape if we use this amazing salvation as:
Hebrews 2:3how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him.