Kind of work

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Just wondering what kind of work everyone does...do you live to work or work to live.
Do you have a vocation, or just a job. or is it a career? Volunteer? Paid or unpaid?

if neither of these things, are you studying or hoping to get into something?
I just thought it would be interesting, cos we all DO something right?

Hope its a good work and something God wants you to do.

As for me Ive done various jobs but my main vocation is librarian. My mission is to encourage reading and literacy through books. My other line of work is gardening. its not been easy because its often not well paid and often just taken for granted but I find it very satisfying, rewarding and creative...when I actually get to do it. lol. I find its the kind of work that others who dont do it think is easy or they think they can tell you how to do it. But its really not the funny things is I dont tell others how to do their jobs but people in power tend to think they can tell a librarian what to do (psst, they cant, we have complete intellectual freedom...and we fight for the right of every one to be able to read!)

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Studied foreignlanguage correspondent in 4 languages and work as General Affairs in a big international company. Always keepin busy haha

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I w*rk at a fast food factory. It's a decent job, I make the money I need and I don't have a lot of stress. I could be doing a lot more with my life, but it's not worth the cost to me.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
interesting jobs people...I wonder if there is anyone whos had the same job for over 10 years? These days its more people do gigs then stay with one thing forever. Or it might be just me lol. I get a bit restless if Im stuck in one job doing the same thing all the time.

Belka

Aug 24, 2017
Currently not working and pondering on what to do; I can either look for a job or study, but the question is: what?

I'm at a crossroads in life and it's very uncomfortable, because I would like to do something "meaningful", especially in terms of heavenly value, but I don't have the qualification or the experience for that (at least not yet).

I've wanted to be a counselor, especially for Christian couples, but... see above. I'm neither qualified nor experienced enough to do that (at this point in my life).

I've also thought about studying to become a teacher, because several people have told me that I would make a good teacher. The issue with that is that it takes a long time and I don't want to study for several years and then possibly not even enjoy the job.

Meh.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
The tasks that give your life value and meaning don't HAVE to be the ones that pay money. It's convenient when they are, and very efficient, but it doesn't happen often.

In this case, to wit: You can counsel people because they need somebody to talk to, and do something else for a vocation. Counseling is mostly listening and asking pertinent questions, a few of which may or may not be questions they should be asking themselves but are subconsciously avoiding. ;)

Belka

Aug 24, 2017
Yeah, that's a good point, @Lynx .

I am just not sure I'd have the energy / time to focus on doing something really worthwhile for the Kingdom if most of my days are spent doing some kind of secular job.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm meant to have a "regular job" and just witness to people there. That's kind of what I did when I was working in a call center. But I just feel like I'm meant to do something significant for the Kingdom and not sure what that is or how to get there. Like some kind of actual ministry. Hm.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah, that's a good point, @Lynx .

I am just not sure I'd have the energy / time to focus on doing something really worthwhile for the Kingdom if most of my days are spent doing some kind of secular job.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm meant to have a "regular job" and just witness to people there. That's kind of what I did when I was working in a call center. But I just feel like I'm meant to do something significant for the Kingdom and not sure what that is or how to get there. Like some kind of actual ministry. Hm.
Teaching english as second language comes to mind, you dont really need to study for too long to do that. You can just do a certifcate. Because you have worked in a call centre, you would know all about phone etiquette and how to conduct a conversation.

It can also be a ministry as many ESL speakers may come from countries where they hadnt heard the gospel.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Am a bit surprised that nobody on here has admitted to working as a 'matchmaker' seeing the amount of anxiety related posts there are over being single.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
Systems analyst at a large corporation. Love my job, hours not so much. As far as matchmaker... Jesus has taken my steering wheel. He is in control!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Has anyone got two jobs?

Or they are made to do two jobs in one?
Cos I feel like I am supposed to be librarian AND police in my school but Im just not trained to be a police.

I am going to talk about it to the DP to tomorrow, this isnt on.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I was a carpenter for years. Now i'm a laundry attendant. :cool:

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well the DP wasnt in so Im going to employ the student teacher. I do have a police hat I can give her.
Or maybe a bouncer.

Sometimes working in school is a bit like herding cats and dogs.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have just about rearranged the whole bookshop.

I pulled off two books by Richard Dawkins that dont belong anywhere. I cant believe he is still writing that drivel.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i collect and analyze data for a fortune 500 company.
basically when there are problems to be solved, i determine the truth and give it to others whose role is to mediate and correct the issue. i'm usually not very involved in containment/resolution - just finding out the truth & declaring it
:)

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
i don't know about that..

make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: you should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
(1 Thessalonians 4:11-12)
'worthwhile' doesn't have to be spectacular or noteworthy in people's eyes. Paul's not telling the churches they all need to be ministers and preachers and missionaries and book-writers. the opposite: he's telling them to aspire to quiet, simple lives.
before anything else, we need to be content in Him, and if we are - then worth doesn't come from the things we find to do, but from Him who gives us life and strength and peace to do them ;)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Tell me posthuman are there fortune 499 companies or fortune 501s that dont make the list.
What do they do? Or are they out of luck.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
We have a new IT person. Our old one, who was like an angel, cos he fixed things behind the scenes has moved on and we have a new lady. Only I try to appear tech savvy enough so I dont have embarassing issues like 'its not working!' when whatever it is isn't plugged in or needs new batteries.