Kindle and Grammarly a Great Resource

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
In my teaching preparations if books are involved I see the Kindle as a time-saving resource.

Not only can you convert your whole library into the palm of your hand but it is also not as heavy.

Downloading your library gives you access to your books without an internet connection.

The Kindle can also hold many apps including Microsoft Word.

A Kindle book is often much cheaper than the physical version but it also has more benefits to the study of the book.

Not only will you have the Books content but you have tools that come with any Kindle book.

You can highlight favorite passages. Highlighting the passage saves it into a collection of highlights. Making it easy to find your highlights for research. The highlight will contain the page number as well.

Under the highlight, it will also ask you do you want to copy, define, search the web, or make a note.

These options make for quicker sourcing in connection to using Microsoft Word. Copy and paste with the page number and add the title/author of the content.

Always good to quickly define words you do not know or want to better understand the content.

(Only with the internet) A quick copy and search of the web are wonderful to fact-check or gain more content.

Notes allow you to add any thoughts that you may want to come back and dig deeper on.

The tools allow you to create flashcards as well for studying.

You can change the font, backlighting, color of the page, size of text, change margins, sentence spacing, and how you prefer to read by either flicking the pages or scrolling down.

You can download your favorite Bible translation and have these same tools as well.

Equip the device with other helpful apps like Grammarly can greatly impact your ability to write and prepare the material.

Grammarly is well worth the cost as it provides an in-depth resource to paste your writing and it will check your grammar, sentence structure, spelling, punctuation, it can check for plagiarism, word count, and challenge you to use different words. It will have different formats like MLA and ask you what type of paper like academic or free writing.

After awhile you will start to catch on to the most common mistakes.

I have used this to write college papers and gotten 100s from the professor. A great tool to equip with any device.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Here is an example of Grammarly in use on my phone. It goes more in depth with grammar on the website if use paste your content using a computer.

Screenshot_20230301-110849_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Joelightening

Feb 27, 2023
I used Amazon Kindle recently to receive a cheap book on early Church writings. I was researching Philippians 2:6 and wanted to find examples of early quotations of that text. I was able to find that Novatian quoted that scripture sometime around 250AD.

MsMediator

Mar 8, 2022
The only thing I don't like about the Kindle is sometimes it skips a few pages, then I have to go back and find my page. I also like the fact I can read in the dark which is probably better for sleep, whereas I need the lamp on for a physical book.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I'll have to check out Kindle.

I like eSword for my PC and mySword for my tablet and smart phone. Both are compatible with word. If you have a touch screen with a pen, editing is a breeze.

I also like our local library. I can get just about any book in a few minutes.

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
I'll have to check out Kindle.

I like eSword for my PC and mySword for my tablet and smart phone. Both are compatible with word. If you have a touch screen with a pen, editing is a breeze.

I also like our local library. I can get just about any book in a few minutes.
Yeah, I think you'll like Kindle! You do need an Amazon account, but until there is something you want to buy, you don't need to put in any payment info.

There is a TON of FREE Kindle-format Christian books there of all kinds: bibles, bible studies, devotionals, commentaries, novels and so much more!

Here are some of the free Christian literature they have on offer:

Free Charles Spurgeon Kindle Books

Free Bibles Kindle Format

Free Bible Studies

Free Bible Devotionals

Free Bible Commentaries

Free Christian Novels

They have other great Christian authors besides Charles Spurgeon. If you want to see if your favorite author has provided free books, here is what you enter in search: Free Kindle <author's name>

Kindle has many other free Kindle books. I have so many free cookbooks that I don't ever have to buy them! There's also free programming language books, free textbooks, just so much stuff.

Hope you find free Kindle books that you'll enjoy. Have fun!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Are you advertising for Kindle. Lol

I dont have a kindle or any app of it. Is it better than a smartphone?

I once downloaded a Bible app but hardly ever used it and then it started getting ads. It was easier just to use my book (and actual print bound copy) , or go online and look up specific verses in BibleHub which seems to be my go to.

But then Im not in any Bible college where maybe you have to sit exams etc. I think I would only use an e-copy if it was hard to find a hard copy. You cant easily share unless you want everyone to have Powerpoint fatigue. That means you have to have a room set up for teaching with a Powerpount presentation whih is basically a modern day OHP or tv cast.

However people do find it easier to learn by audio or radio, while reading a book alongside or doing something else, than having to constantly look at a screen.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Also how much is it for a kindle.

Most highschools seem to be BYO device but many schools, even primary have chromebooks and ipads, not kindles. Actually I have only ever seen one kindle, and that was a lady in Australia had one. I dont think they are even sold here in NZ!

At my school everyone uses Microsoft 365, which I am getting used to because my previous school everyone used Google docs and gmail . Its free, unlike Microsoft which I believe you have to pay a licence for.

I tend to use whatever I am given, dont have much choice in the matter in terms of tech. But if I was investing in a school I would want the best and most user friendly tools for the job.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I was reading a book called Room To Read and it was about a former microsoft exec who decided to leave and to fund school libraries in developing countries as they just didnt have ANY books, let alone libraries. He couldnt just sell or give them computers, or devices cos they didnt have the tech for it.

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
Are you advertising for Kindle. Lol

I dont have a kindle or any app of it. Is it better than a smartphone?

I once downloaded a Bible app but hardly ever used it and then it started getting ads. It was easier just to use my book (and actual print bound copy) , or go online and look up specific verses in BibleHub which seems to be my go to.

But then Im not in any Bible college where maybe you have to sit exams etc. I think I would only use an e-copy if it was hard to find a hard copy. You cant easily share unless you want everyone to have Powerpoint fatigue. That means you have to have a room set up for teaching with a Powerpount presentation whih is basically a modern day OHP or tv cast.

However people do find it easier to learn by audio or radio, while reading a book alongside or doing something else, than having to constantly look at a screen.

Kindle reader is a free app! You can install it on your PC, Chromebook or Mac, tablet or smartphone (Android or Apple).

Lots To Like:

The reader doesn't have any annoying tacky-looking ads which is a big plus. So the interface is very clean. They get their money from people buying so many Kindle-format books.

If you need to share parts of a kindle book with a group (like a bible study group for example), that can be a problem because you can't print off any part of a kindle book (there's a way to do it but Amazon won't like it). You can still highlight and copy though, so that's good if you don't mind having to paste it into an editor and reformatting the layout to your preferences.

The Kindle reader also allows you to change the font type and size, margins, line spaces, paragraph spaces and background/page color so that you can set it up for what is comfortable for your eyes.

It has a reading ruler that helps keep you focused on the words. I like this feature because for some reason it helps keep me from getting eye strain. You can pick the color and width of the ruler for this too.

It has a free dictionary that automatically downloads the first time to help you learn new word, translations, extra info.

You can highlight and add notes - this comes in so handy for any studying. PLUS you can make flash cards out of the section you're studying!

You can also group your books in any way that is meaningful to you.

What I Don't Like:

I think the only thing I don't like at all about this is the audio part. I have an Android tablet that has an ebook reader. It reads all different kinds of ebook formats including non-DRM Kindle books. What I like about Android and Apple ebook readers is that if you want to play the book in audio - that is, if you want the app to read the book to you, it is absolutely FREE. You can set the voice to be male or female, change the pitch and reading speed, and for English - you can even change it to American, English or Australian accents! The reader will scroll and highlight the words as it speaks. It's really neat!

But in Kindle, the audio version is MONETIZED. You have to buy it! And they're expensive! I just don't think it's worth it.

Other Versions:

You can also purchase different models of physical Kindle readers, but why would you want to?

I bought three models of their tablet version called "Kindle Fire" and they are extremely buggy in terms of the operating system and hardware. The first I bought was in 2012 - it was the second generation Kindle Fire. It was fairly expensive but it had an excellent and robust operating system and the hardware lasted forever. I still have it! It still runs but is extremely slow.

The other two are the latest models and much cheaper. They are AWFUL. The operating system keeps resetting so that I have to reconfigure my preferences over and over. And the hardware is bad too. Both lasted only A YEAR and won't recharge anymore. So I'm basically done with Kindle Fire models.

The other physical Kindle readers are only for reading and not browsing the internet, playing games, or watching movies, etc. I don't have any experience with them, so I can't write anything about them.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you would like info on other ebook readers. Kindle readers only read Kindle formats and PDF, but none of the others.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
think I did try to have kindle on this ipad, but took it off as never used it. I dont even use the ibooks app

The only e books I use is the app from libby, which is free access to public library books, both e version (print) and audio. Its pretty good for this ipad. I think you need to have a decent size ipad though and not those tiny mini ones..they are a bit useless for typing and reading.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I use a Samsung Galaxy tab A with S pen. It's great. I put Microsoft 360 on it, because Samsung Notes doesn't export to non Samsung tabs well. I still like Samsung Notes for taking meeting notes. The audio recorder works well in a classroom setting.

2ndTimeIsTheCharm

Feb 17, 2023
I use a Samsung Galaxy tab A with S pen. It's great. I put Microsoft 360 on it, because Samsung Notes doesn't export to non Samsung tabs well. I still like Samsung Notes for taking meeting notes. The audio recorder works well in a classroom setting.

I have the cheaper Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (2022). I love Samsung in general - very stable software system and hardware!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
i actually would like a pen so as to be able to draw instead of using my fingers on an ipad.
I have to use a clunky laptop at school to take attendance and it always takes a while to login. Plus have to keep it charged up all the time.

I am not sure why so many schools do not have standing desks, everyone has to sit at desks and then get a crick in their neck from looking at computers.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
A clipboard and pen and spiral journal/jotter pad is easier to use for writing ideas. The pen with four colours in one, so you can have different ideas.

Everlasting-Grace

Dec 18, 2021
I use the logos system. It can be expensive. But have used it for years. I can with the click of a button look up a passage in any version of the word. I can highlight words and look at multiple greek lexicons and dictionaries. I can go to multiple commentaries. All within the same passage. I can use it on my phone, My ipad and my computer..

there is a lot of info out now.. All these things everyone mentioned has made it great for studying the word or repairing for a teaching or even helping in a bible study group//

Sipsey

Sep 27, 2018
In my teaching preparations if books are involved I see the Kindle as a time-saving resource.

Not only can you convert your whole library into the palm of your hand but it is also not as heavy.

Downloading your library gives you access to your books without an internet connection.

The Kindle can also hold many apps including Microsoft Word.

A Kindle book is often much cheaper than the physical version but it also has more benefits to the study of the book.

Not only will you have the Books content but you have tools that come with any Kindle book.

You can highlight favorite passages. Highlighting the passage saves it into a collection of highlights. Making it easy to find your highlights for research. The highlight will contain the page number as well.

Under the highlight, it will also ask you do you want to copy, define, search the web, or make a note.

These options make for quicker sourcing in connection to using Microsoft Word. Copy and paste with the page number and add the title/author of the content.

Always good to quickly define words you do not know or want to better understand the content.

(Only with the internet) A quick copy and search of the web are wonderful to fact-check or gain more content.

Notes allow you to add any thoughts that you may want to come back and dig deeper on.

The tools allow you to create flashcards as well for studying.

You can change the font, backlighting, color of the page, size of text, change margins, sentence spacing, and how you prefer to read by either flicking the pages or scrolling down.

You can download your favorite Bible translation and have these same tools as well.

Equip the device with other helpful apps like Grammarly can greatly impact your ability to write and prepare the material.

Grammarly is well worth the cost as it provides an in-depth resource to paste your writing and it will check your grammar, sentence structure, spelling, punctuation, it can check for plagiarism, word count, and challenge you to use different words. It will have different formats like MLA and ask you what type of paper like academic or free writing.

After awhile you will start to catch on to the most common mistakes.

I have used this to write college papers and gotten 100s from the professor. A great tool to equip with any device.
I have used Grammarly for a couple of years in my side job as a free lance writer. The plagiarism feature is helpful also. The editor has rarely had an issue with what I send. I too have many reference books on Kindle and another reading app. The ability to copy and paste is great for getting a subject organized.

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
I have used Grammarly for a couple of years in my side job as a free lance writer. The plagiarism feature is helpful also. The editor has rarely had an issue with what I send. I too have many reference books on Kindle and another reading app. The ability to copy and paste is great for getting a subject organized.
They make things so much easier.