Lack of Consistency

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 6, 2019
I didn't really know where else to put this, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I've been having trouble consistently reading my Bible and praying. I've been trying different ways to remember to, but I always end up forgetting. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to help me get in the habit of praying and reading the Bible more often than in church meetings?

Please note: I'm not good at sticking to a schedule, and I don't have a cell phone.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
It's a pretty common issue, actually. I've had the same problem for decades.
You could make it a priority/habit earlier so you're less likely to forget later when involved in other things.
If you have a newer TV you could set it to turn off after a certain time. Or just as a makeshift alarm, even if you don't actively watch it.
Or make a point to do so right before you go to bed. It's really about finding a time that fits, rather than trying to force yourself into a time that will continually be difficult.
But no cell phone? That's the real shocker =P

Jan 6, 2019
You could make it a priority/habit earlier so you're less likely to forget later when involved in other things.
If you have a newer TV you could set it to turn off after a certain time. Or just as a makeshift alarm, even if you don't actively watch it.
Or make a point to do so right before you go to bed. It's really about finding a time that fits, rather than trying to force yourself into a time that will continually be difficult.
Well, I'm only 14. If I want a cell phone, I'm supposed to pay for it, and it really isn't in my budget right now!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I didn't really know where else to put this, so sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I've been having trouble consistently reading my Bible and praying. I've been trying different ways to remember to, but I always end up forgetting. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to help me get in the habit of praying and reading the Bible more often than in church meetings?

Please note: I'm not good at sticking to a schedule, and I don't have a cell phone.
My wife and I read at least one chapter a day as part of our daily devotion, prayer and bible study. We have been married 4 years and we are already well into of our 3rd complete reading. Altogether I have read the entire bible 4 times.

To achieve consistency in reading the bible you have to be disciplined and determined to read a certain portion faithfully whether you feel like doing so or not. I believe you have to place a value in how the Word of God can effect your life and those of others in your life as well in a positive way. You can pray anytime day or night as if you were in a conversation with God. This is a prayer also and is what I do.

Not sure what having a cell phone has to do with it but I just have a simple TracFone that has been idle for several weeks because it ran out of minutes. As far as not being good at sticking to a schedule that is a habit that is worth developing also and will serve you well.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Well, I'm only 14. If I want a cell phone, I'm supposed to pay for it, and it really isn't in my budget right now!
Hopefully you took more out of what I said than my teasing you about a cell phone.

Jan 6, 2019
Thank you for all the suggestions. I find it hard to remember that I need to remember to sometimes...

sbcAdam1

Nov 11, 2018
I have found that earlier is better. Before you begin your day is the best because after that it is easy to forget and things become busy.
Also, when you do this you can reflect on the scripture you have read throughout the day. It works well. You will have to discipline yourself to do this. The benefits will be overwhelming if you stick to it and when in doubt, pray. Godspeed. You've got this.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Thank you for all the suggestions. I find it hard to remember that I need to remember to sometimes...
I have the same problem sometimes.
It takes time to change or create new habits, just be patient and keep working at things.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018

This may sound tacky but I use post-it notes when I need to concentrate on doing certain things or writing Scriptures for a prayer. I place them wherever I am the most in our home. Best wishes!

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I did go thru phases when i did not read regularly. But when i did, i was more flexible. It is good to read early in the day when you can, but i've also found reading and praying before bed good, as it sets the tone for our dreams=). I mean we think of God's words and what He is telling us, instead of just dwelling on our own thoughts, experiences or frustrations. Give yourself time to adjust to any changes, then try again.

JustEli

Dec 23, 2018
Just remember, we need the Lord every second of every day.
God bless you brother.