Laundry Mat

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I did a wash last week at the laundrymat but took it home to dry on the line as didnt have time, and I knew it was going to be sunny. Because its the middle of winter here the washing takes longer to do some weeks it just piles up.

I like summer because its easier to do washing. I am not a person who uses the dryer much. Its very noisy and consumes so much electricity. While we have one, it hardly gets used.

I do wonder why youd even buy one if youve got space to have a washing line and able to air dry your clothes for free. I could think of better things to spend money on and more space in the laundry room for food.
Actually, we have space for a clothes line in our backyard. The laundry room in our house is a bit cluttered too. Yes, you can save a little money on electricity by air drying but it doe take time to hang up the wet clothes to dry and then take down. They smell nice and fresh though.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I just noticed that we are running out of the Tide laundry pads w/Oxy. Emptied the dryer for my wife and noticed this little blue plastic fabric softener. Don't know if it works. I put another load in the dryer and added two Bounce dryer sheets along with that little blue plastic thing. Smelled like Downy though so it's probably not altogether worthless.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I love the laundry mat thread!
I did my end of term washing of all my emoji cushions in the library..I just tell them Im giving them a facial. They are happy to make the trip, they even got blow dried. It took two big machines to do it.
I still take them out to air in the sun and as it is summer they just relax on my sun lounger.

I like the smell of fresh laundry. The one I go to is called 'Bubble and Squeak' and has been there ever since I can remember. The people that own it are always helpful not like some laundrymats that dont have anyone on site to help. There is an art to it I think and you need to be careful when doing big loads.

I see some people take their laundry in rubbish sacks but I would not do this I always put laundry in a hamper/basket I just think its weird to put your laundry in a big black plastic garbage bag! I know it may be dirty but they are going to be CLEANED not going to the tip! The starnge thing once its cleaned you put it back in the garbage bag?! Why not use a hamper.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I'm afraid that I'm guilty of using garbage bags to haul laundry to the laundry mat. At least the bags were brand new. I agree that using a hamper is the way to go.

Fortunately, we now have a new washer and dryer. Had them for about a year. The thing is, we bought them from Lowe's and once installed the dryer quit working the same day. The store took them back and exchanged the pair (Whirlpool) for Samsung. Worked great ever since.

I am giving some thought of building a clothesline in the spring for the backyard. Clothes would probably smell fresh and clean drying with the air and the sunshine. I never did mind going to the laundry mat but it's great to have your own washer and dryer.

Nothing like clothes that are fresh and clean.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
the best clotheslines are the rotary ones as then you can use the wind as well as the sun to dry your clothes.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
the best clotheslines are the rotary ones as then you can use the wind as well as the sun to dry your clothes.
Makes sense to me as it spares me the work of digging holes for wooden posts and stringing the rope across. I already have a punch of clothes pins. I have been using them for chip clips.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Am pondering what to do with Dads white t-shirt. Its not even white anymore even when washed but a kind of yellowish cream...wonder if napisan would bring it back to sparkling whiteness or bleach but...cant stand the smell of bleach.

Or maybe just chuck it, use it as rags to wash the car with, and buy him a new t-shirt.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Am pondering what to do with Dads white t-shirt. Its not even white anymore even when washed but a kind of yellowish cream...wonder if napisan would bring it back to sparkling whiteness or bleach but...cant stand the smell of bleach.

Or maybe just chuck it, use it as rags to wash the car with, and buy him a new t-shirt.
You might want to try to soak the shirt in a solution of water and Oxi-clean. I hand washed our car yesterday. I went all-in and vacuumed the inside too, and cleaned the windows, floor mats, dash, and center console. I never heard of napisan so I will have to google that to see what it is. OK - looks like a product similar to Oxi-clean. Yeah, soak it in that. It's nice of you to have consideration for Dad.

Kireina

Aug 26, 2020

Properly wash your dad's shirt lol by soaking it first with soap and baking soda before putting the shirt inside the washing machine...please separate whites from the colored ones also... 😀

Or buy him new ones before 2021 ends 😊 to replace the yellowish white shirt he got 😊

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
huh my dad has plenty of other clean shirts but he insists on wearing his yellowish one.

I dont know maybe its just my dad, but seems some men will wear their clothes that are all raggedy and got all holes in them but still keep on wearing them, even though they can afford to buy new ones.

Whereas if I noticed a hole or stain in my clothes I would try and mend it or clean it and if it didnt look new again I wouldnt hesitiate to chuck it out. I also hate the way cheap fabric pills and gets linty.

Not vain but I try to keep presentable. It just makes you feel better to be wearing fresh clothes. I can remember whn I was a child wearing nothing but handme downs and having no choice in what I wore.

I still get given handme downs by other people some of them work and some dont. But if I see something that fits in an op shop and it looks newish I have no qualms about wearing it.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Properly wash your dad's shirt lol by soaking it first with soap and baking soda before putting the shirt inside the washing machine...please separate whites from the colored ones also... 😀

Or buy him new ones before 2021 ends 😊 to replace the yellowish white shirt he got 😊
I'm sort of challenged separating the whites from colors. That's probably why I'm not allowed to do laundry very often. I really like that baking soda idea though to whiten clothing. Regarding the shirt, my honey got me a new T-shirt for Christmas. She said that she is going to start throwing away the ones with holes in them. I tend to keep my clothes for the longest time.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
huh my dad has plenty of other clean shirts but he insists on wearing his yellowish one. I don't know maybe it's just my dad but seems some men will wear their clothes that are all raggedy and got all holes in them but still keep on wearing them, even though they can afford to buy new ones.
I get this. I'm the same way.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If you wash in cold water, the dyes wont run and you can then put colours and whites in together.
Though for some people it seem counter intuitive to do this...when they think of washing something it has to be hot sudsy water.

However dont underestimate the power of cold water, especially fresh running water.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
If you wash in cold water, the dyes wont run and you can then put colours and whites in together.
Though for some people it seem counter intuitive to do this...when they think of washing something it has to be hot sudsy water.

However dont underestimate the power of cold water, especially fresh running water.
One thing I would never attempt again is to add bleach. Last time I tried that years ago the clothes were blotchy. However, I have used Oxi-Clean and Clorox color-safe bleach. Basically, I really don't know what I'm doing. I am like that helpless single guy that I wrote about in my OP which was written when I was single.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have a white car
I used to have a red car.

They both needed cleaning though I notice that a red cars paint job might fade but a white ones wont. however the white car can still get dents and scratches and you still then need the EXACT same shade of white otherwise it just likes like a bad makeup job all blotchy...the whites didnt match.

I considered a solution is to make my car all spotted and striped like a tiger or leopard or tortoiseshell cat pattern and then it doesnt matter.

Im guessing thats the reason for leopard print clothing anyway...!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I have a white car
I used to have a red car.

They both needed cleaning though I notice that a red cars paint job might fade but a white ones wont. however the white car can still get dents and scratches and you still then need the EXACT same shade of white otherwise it just likes like a bad makeup job all blotchy...the whites didnt match.

I considered a solution is to make my car all spotted and striped like a tiger or leopard or tortoiseshell cat pattern and then it doesnt matter.

Im guessing thats the reason for leopard print clothing anyway...!
I now have a white car but my last car was red too.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
One thing I would never attempt again is to add bleach. Last time I tried that years ago the clothes were blotchy. However, I have used Oxi-Clean and Clorox color-safe bleach. Basically, I really don't know what I'm doing. I am like that helpless single guy that I wrote about in my OP which was written when I was single.
Do it again! Make MORE blotches! Then call it art and wear it proudly. :cool: