Learning or Talking?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Pipp

Majestic Llamacorn
Sep 17, 2013
Georgia
Both. Sometimes I have something to say and sometimes I need to be quiet and learn from people who have more experiences or situations or even viewpoints.

Nov 6, 2017
Could you be more specific? Do you mean the people who refuse instruction and are “brutish” or do you mean the people who tell everyone what they should be feeling or doing about situations in their lives (unsolicited advice, I realize some people here ask for advice).

I think there is a failure to communicate among the people here to learn and the people who are here to talk.

What is your primary purpose on this site, learning or talking?
probably a little of both

Nov 6, 2017
You would be a rare one, then. It seems to me most people here want to tell others what to believe.
Honestly, chat boards become a a pulpit for some people and their fruit shows that they would never, ever be allowed to minister, lead or preach or teach in real life, so they come here, set up fiefdoms and believe God called them to be a Chaplain of the Christian Chat board. I see some of the same control and games here I see in real churches.

D

Depleted

I am very curious about people’s attitudes toward the benefits of this site. On more than one occasion, I have been told here that I do not have a teachable spirit. I find it kind of surprising, as I don’t post here to learn anything, but to talk. No offense, but if I want to learn, I can read the Bible for myself. I come here because I am lonely and want to talk.

So, my question is this- are you here to learn or here to talk?

Yes, I know the two are not mutually exclusive. But, there must be a primary reason why people are talking to strangers online.
First, I find it funny that people tell you that you don't have a teachable spirit. You're a teacher! By nature, that means you like learning enough to want to teach others.

I consider "you don't have a teachable spirit" as something people say because they're upset you aren't listening to them as if what they have to say is gospel -- just another excuse to pass on our faults as someone else's fault. Truthfully, people like that just make me laugh.

But why am I here? Because here is the only fellowship I get besides my husband. So, I'm here for fellowship. And what does that mean to me? A combination of edify, be edified, and elbow-to-elbow so we can smooth out each others' rough edges. I do love it when I learn on here, but I'm not here to learn. Same reason you aren't -- if I want to learn something, I'll study it.

Friends! I've got friends now. People who won't merely put up with me when I'm in a bad mood, but will still love me even then. I consider you one of them.

D

Depleted

What about spiritual things, though? I tend to have fixed beliefs. I doubt very much that a stranger online will convince me to believe things contrary to my own beliefs. People could argue with me all day and all night, and I would still not believe abortion is fine for any reason, for example.
I worry about Christians who have "fixed beliefs."

Here were the "fixed beliefs" I had when I was 20, that I no longer believe now:
-- Russia is going to start Armageddon.
-- I do not have the Holy Spirit in me because I cannot speak in tongues.
-- I'm going to hell because I can't do what God wants me to do.
-- I made up my own mind and became saved because of that.
-- God saved me. Now, it is up to me to walk it out right.
-- No way, no how am I ever going to get married. Not. Worth. The. Sorrow!
-- God loves me sometimes.
-- Trust myself.
-- When God slams a door, he opens a window.
-- Only the lazy can't get enough food or shelter.
-- 10% to God, 10% to retirement, and you'll be fine when you retire.

I worry about Christians who have fixed beliefs. After all, God spends our life changing some of our beliefs. Seems kind of disrespectful to keep them fixed.

D

Depleted

I am rather hard headed. I don’t come to the conclusion that I am wrong by talking to people. Anytime I find out I am wrong about something, it must be proven wrong to me. I must need evidence that I am wrong.
Ever get enough evidence to put in the effort to find out if you might be wrong? Or do you insist others have to spoon-feed you it? (Just checking which kind of person you are, because either way, you're saying you are willing to change your mind. lol)

D

Depleted

I don’t care looking like a fool, I am a fool. So if I am proven wrong, it is par for the course.
Yeah, but then once proven "par for the course," do you remain the fool, or wise up? And I ask as someone who easily admits I'm foolish often. I just got tired of spending too much time in the belly of a fish.

D

Depleted

I am here for a bit of both. I enjoy reading other folks posts . Even if I disagree with a post I really like to find out where someone is coming from. I like clarity . Agreement comes later. I also like to share my beliefs and opinions too . I generaly won’t say much unless I think. Can add something of value. If someone has already said what I think I probably won’t say anything. So I guess it’s about 75% reading an 25% talking. That’s the way I am here and in person I am about the same .
Blessings
Bill
We'd get along famously then, because I'm 75% talk and 25% listen. lol

D

Depleted

Sadly, Ive been there before. I remember one "debate" I had with a member who talked as if I knew nothing and accused me of being a trumpeter for Fox News (which I dont even watch btw : p). I let myself get angry and take pride in the fact that I could prove him wrong, so much that I rubbed his nose into it.

Ive definitely found myself being a bully here before, and had to take time away to turn myself around from such behavior.
As I read these responses, I'm envisioning a huge room so we morons can have a party, and then a penalty box we can put ourselves in when we realize being abrasive just to be abrasive isn't a good thing either.

God's been chipping away at my abrasive side, and yet he's letting me keep the abrasive-for-him parts.
:rolleyes:

D

Depleted

Honestly, chat boards become a a pulpit for some people and their fruit shows that they would never, ever be allowed to minister, lead or preach or teach in real life, so they come here, set up fiefdoms and believe God called them to be a Chaplain of the Christian Chat board. I see some of the same control and games here I see in real churches.
One small correction: Since the ones who imagine themselves as Chaplain of Christian Chat have no one playing along, you can't see that in a real church. Real churches require enough people to maintain the cost of the building, so there would be no such people pastoring them, because no one to pastor. :)

(Lynnie Logic. Might take you some time to get that to fit into one thought and understand. lol)

Yeraza_Bats

Dec 11, 2014

Here were the "fixed beliefs" I had when I was 20, that I no longer believe now:
-- Trust myself.

I worry about Christians who have fixed beliefs. After all, God spends our life changing some of our beliefs. Seems kind of disrespectful to keep them fixed.
There are SOME good things that we shouldnt let go of, though. There is one person on this forum who criticizes other Christians for stating that Christ is God. They believe that the answer "isnt so clear", and that we cant possibly know that, and that claiming others who claim He is less are incorrect is wrong.

But, anyone who has read the Bible knows that it fully claims that He is equal with God, that He expects to be honored just as God is honored, accepted worship, and was called God His followers. Its without question that He is God. While He didnt say "I am God, worship Me" in exact words, He gave all of Gods attributes to Himself, even claiming that He owns all that God owns and has authority over heaven and the earth.

There are definitely SOME things that I wont be convinced differently of : p I hold some opinions for less important things, like who the antichrist will be and all that. I occasionally talk about it, but I dont feel its important enough to have a serious debate over : p But there are some facts that I wont change my opinion on, and I think we should all be that way to some extent.

Nov 6, 2017
One small correction: Since the ones who imagine themselves as Chaplain of Christian Chat have no one playing along, you can't see that in a real church. Real churches require enough people to maintain the cost of the building, so there would be no such people pastoring them, because no one to pastor. :)

(Lynnie Logic. Might take you some time to get that to fit into one thought and understand. lol)
I have logic like this on some things to. thanks for the chuckle.

Feb 28, 2016
Hub and I are here because we were led/sent here,,,and we will leave here,
when our Saviour commands us to...whether or not people like or accept what
we say through The Holy Spirit, means absolutely nothing, for our hearts only live
to serve and obey our Holy Saviour...

G

Galatea

First, I find it funny that people tell you that you don't have a teachable spirit. You're a teacher! By nature, that means you like learning enough to want to teach others.

I consider "you don't have a teachable spirit" as something people say because they're upset you aren't listening to them as if what they have to say is gospel -- just another excuse to pass on our faults as someone else's fault. Truthfully, people like that just make me laugh.

But why am I here? Because here is the only fellowship I get besides my husband. So, I'm here for fellowship. And what does that mean to me? A combination of edify, be edified, and elbow-to-elbow so we can smooth out each others' rough edges. I do love it when I learn on here, but I'm not here to learn. Same reason you aren't -- if I want to learn something, I'll study it.

Friends! I've got friends now. People who won't merely put up with me when I'm in a bad mood, but will still love me even then. I consider you one of them.
I am honored you consider me a friend. I think you are probably the wisest person on this site. I’m also very glad you are edified here, and edify.

G

Galatea

Yeah, but then once proven "par for the course," do you remain the fool, or wise up? And I ask as someone who easily admits I'm foolish often. I just got tired of spending too much time in the belly of a fish.
It depends. I have been a fool for a long time about something. The evidence is conflicting. I generally believe it is a hopeless situation, yet I get glimpses of something else underneath, and wonder if it is as hopeless as I believe.

I don’t relinquish long held beliefs very easily.

G

Galatea

Ever get enough evidence to put in the effort to find out if you might be wrong? Or do you insist others have to spoon-feed you it? (Just checking which kind of person you are, because either way, you're saying you are willing to change your mind. lol)
I’d rather be spoon fed as I don’t trust my own perceptions, lol.

G

Galatea

-- Trust myself.

You are right, but if my beliefs change on a subject, I don’t think they will be by a random person on the internet. I have changed my beliefs about my faith, and it was due to talking to someone on another site, but I had known him for a while and trusted his translation of Greek words. I would not believe just any person.

Dec 15, 2015
Let's take a look what Jesus say KJVMatthew12:35-36 35. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. 36. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
I am very curious about people’s attitudes toward the benefits of this site. On more than one occasion, I have been told here that I do not have a teachable spirit. I find it kind of surprising, as I don’t post here to learn anything, but to talk. No offense, but if I want to learn, I can read the Bible for myself. I come here because I am lonely and want to talk.

So, my question is this- are you here to learn or here to talk?

Yes, I know the two are not mutually exclusive. But, there must be a primary reason why people are talking to strangers online.
I've never really thought about it until now tbh. But although it's both the main reason is to talk ig. I didn't just want to come on here to post something once a day though i was hoping to make actual friends. Since i don't have a church atm i dont get to be around other Christians really so i came on here to hopefully find people that could stand to be around me for long periods of time cx. I honestly dont think too much about learning here because that's not what this is for i mean i could learn something but that's not why i joined at all there are better ways to learn things. Ig that's it, back to frand finding.

S

Susanna

It depends. I have been a fool for a long time about something. The evidence is conflicting. I generally believe it is a hopeless situation, yet I get glimpses of something else underneath, and wonder if it is as hopeless as I believe.

I don’t relinquish long held beliefs very easily.
We really need a forum for the different shades of morons and fools.

I am the first member.

Wanna join?

Problem is that most (the only one) of the members (me) can't even get elected dog catcher.

Lol.