Length of Prayer/The Lord's Prayer

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TheIndianGirl

In my experience, the prayers I usually hear from people are a bit lengthy (I go to a Baptist church). Usually the prayer involves praying for a list of people, requests, or even world events, and praising God. I once prayed with a friend and she spoke for 30 minutes. Her prayer was more like a conversation with God (such as, she might describe her medical test results to God for five or more minutes, such as my blood count is really low, feeling weak, every day a struggle, etc.)

When I pray, I usually thank God for giving me xx in my life, or helping me in xx way, or I also pray for my family or close friends. However my prayers are rather short. Sometimes I do have a conversation with God. I also bear in mind that God knows what I want before I ask. I was told I am praying the wrong way by a missionary. Her prayer does not even ask/request God for anything, but instead she says things like "God you are amazing, you are faithful, etc." and other praises for a long time. So her prayer is basically only consists of praising God. She said I need to shift my prayer from asking God to praising God.

I realize people pray in a variety of ways, but isn't the standard The Lord's prayer? I know we should spend quite time with God (Jesus), but usually that involves reading or meditating/being in His presence, not really prayer.

The Lord’s Prayer
(Luke 11)

5And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

7And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

9So then, this is how you should pray:

‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be Your name,

10Your kingdom come,

Your will be done,

on earth as it is in heaven.

11Give us this day our daily bread.

12And forgive us our debts,

as we also have forgiven our debtors.

13And lead us not into temptation,

but deliver us from the evil one.’b

14For if you forgive men their trespasses, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive yours.

Isaiah263

Jan 12, 2020
I know that there's always room for improvement in my prayer life. I hear more from God (through His word) than talking to Him in prayer.
I try to follow the A.C.T.S. model ("Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication"). This past year I've been working on memorizing Scripture. Even playing it when I go to sleep. This has helped me pray God's Word to Him throughout the day.

I've been reading Timothy Keller's book on Prayer and "Valley of Vision" a collection of Puritan prayers which has helped motivate my prayer life.

Jan 12, 2019
I realize people pray in a variety of ways, but isn't the standard The Lord's prayer? I know we should spend quite time with God (Jesus), but usually that involves reading or meditating/being in His presence, not really prayer.

14For if you forgive men their trespasses, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive yours.
You are in trouble if you think Jesus was preaching v14 to you now.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
There was a wonderful book from the 60's called Prayer Can Change Your Life by Parker. The author reports on a test he did of three different ways of treating people with problems. He divided this group of people into three equal groups who he instructed on three ways of handling their problem.

One group used psychiatric therapy, one group was told to spend half an hour each day in prayer and report on the results, and one group was to study scripture about prayer and pray using scripture instructions. They all met once a week. The book reports the results.

They found that the ones who used psychiatric therapy had some improvement but the ones who used the half hour a day in prayer actually got worse. The ones with the most improvement was the group who used scripture instructions to guide their prayer. The book tells of the people who were improved, some almost miraculously. It reports on how they did it.

The author felt that the ones who simply prayed made things worse because they simply repeated their problems over and over to the Lord who knew the problem. By simply repeating the problem to God they reinforced the problem.

The ones who improved believed God knew them and the problem but went to work on the demos in their life, like holding a grudge against their parents. As an example, one lady had to live with a mother in law who she disliked. Through prayer she changed her way with the mother in law to acting as if she loved her. It changed the relationship so she actually came to love her.

When I followed what the book said it changed my life.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
In my experience, the prayers I usually hear from people are a bit lengthy (I go to a Baptist church). Usually the prayer involves praying for a list of people, requests, or even world events, and praising God. I once prayed with a friend and she spoke for 30 minutes. Her prayer was more like a conversation with God (such as, she might describe her medical test results to God for five or more minutes, such as my blood count is really low, feeling weak, every day a struggle, etc.)

When I pray, I usually thank God for giving me xx in my life, or helping me in xx way, or I also pray for my family or close friends. However my prayers are rather short. Sometimes I do have a conversation with God. I also bear in mind that God knows what I want before I ask. I was told I am praying the wrong way by a missionary. Her prayer does not even ask/request God for anything, but instead she says things like "God you are amazing, you are faithful, etc." and other praises for a long time. So her prayer is basically only consists of praising God. She said I need to shift my prayer from asking God to praising God.

The Lord’s Prayer
(Luke 11)

5And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward. 6But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

7And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be Your name,

10Your kingdom come,

Your will be done,

I've happened on pastors when I surf TV channels and their prayers are more like mini-sermons.
I am reminded of this part especially in your posting. (Great post)
6 But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Jan 12, 2019
How so? 14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,
Paul, whom the ascended Christ Jesus sent to teach us, stated in Ephesians 4:32

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Do you see the difference in cause and effect here?

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

The Lord’s Prayer
(Luke 11)

‘Our Father in heaven,

hallowed be Your name,

10Your kingdom come,

Your will be done,

The LORD Prayer is to me Not a word for word formulated prayer to be recited word for word repetitiously.. It is an example of the things we should be praying about and for..

As for prayer you can pray for as short or as long as you wish.. include subject you like, you can include praises if you like.. I disagree with that missionary who told you to only praise Jesus in your prayer..

Never ever become the type of person who wants to out do others in public prayer performance..

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Paul, whom the ascended Christ Jesus sent to teach us, stated in Ephesians 4:32

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Do you see the difference in cause and effect here?
I look forward to your posting your understanding of what it means.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
How so? 14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,
The Lord has forgiven based upon my calling on Jesus Christ to forgive me of my sins. It’s not conditioned on me forgiving others.