Less than 9% of Christians have a Biblical Worldview

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Locoponydirtman

Generally speaking poll percentages are wrong. So there is a lot wrong with the statement.
Is a person who does not have a biblical world view a Christian?
What does the study consider a biblical world view?
Did those who did the study have a biblical Bible view?
What was the standard?
Who was the control sample?
How many were sampled?
Where they a scientific sample?
How was the study conducted?
Too many variables are involved so it not likely that I care what this study has come up with. I could make a study to show almost any statistic I wanted to convince people of.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Generally speaking poll percentages are wrong. So there is a lot wrong with the statement.
What was the standard?
How many were sampled?
Too many variables are involved so it not likely that I care what this study has come up with. I could make a study to show almost any statistic I wanted to convince people of.
While I understand your concerns, with a little homework you'll discover that The Barna Group is a respected research organization. They do understand statistics, and they do know how to conduct and interpret polls.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Why do you think that is?
great question.

1. we are in the last days
  2. the church has compromised on the word of God
  3. the systematic attack on the family as God intended it to be starting in 1950's
  4. biblical illiteracy
  5. spirit of antichrist
  6. the great falling away welcome to it happening now and for the past 15 years
  7. no repentance

louis

Nov 1, 2017
Why do you think that is?
If less than 9% have no biblical world view, they then probably don't read the bible.
And if they don't read the bible, they then probably have no root in the Word.
And if they have no root in the Word, they then probably will be among those that when bad things start to happen, will fall away from the faith (Matthew 13:21; Mark 4:6; Luke 8:13).
Like when the Lord will again shake the earth, along with heaven, so that those who claim faith, but really have no root in the Word, will be shaken out, so that those with faith may remain (Hebrews 12:26-27).

Hebrews 12:26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.
27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.

Dec 29, 2018
17% of practicing Christians have a biblical worldview in this study. I suspect their earlier study they were not separated out by practicing or claiming to be Christian thus the 9% number. Still amazingly low either way.

I am a newbie Christian and I have not found one situation I have ever been in that I couldn't find in the Bible how to handle or address.

Dec 29, 2018
I think you need to be a lot more specific.
@Locutus Two simple examples; First an obvious one...

A Christian who doesn't believe the resurrection is literal. This persons belief doesn't align with what the Bible says about the resurrection. Second, a not so obvious one...

A christian who follows their horoscope daily and the personality type they are for the zodiac they were born in. We know in Genesis 1:14 God said "and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:" not for predicting how your day is going to go.

Dec 29, 2018
When you say "world view" do you mean thinking the country a given believer in is the center of prophecy? Most people do thingk this way…...
See one post up for examples. There is a humanist worldview, Marxist worldview and there is a Biblical worldview to name a few. The "center of prophecy" thing I have not heard of as a worldview.

Dec 29, 2018
this is truly not a hard concept - it's merely because they have been closeted into the sects that
they have either been generationally born into, or simply because they just had to
pick and choose what makes them comfortable or acceptable to those that they have
been drawn to...and of course, there are so many that satan has had the power to
keep their hearts and minds apart from their futures, mostly by their own
will-ful 'choices'...
@oldethennew It's a little tough for me to grasp, here is why... I spent 42 years telling God He wasn't real until He showed me just how real He is. I lived those 42 years as ingrained into the culture and apart from God as could be until God got ahold of me and showed me something totally countercultural. I despise the old me and don't want to have anything to do with it. As I began to learn the Bible and it's principles it makes perfect sense for the Christian to want to live out what the Bible teaches and my worldview has changed accordingly. But why only 17% or 9% or less% of us?

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
I saw a quote in someones signature box that I liked.

It said "Defend the bible? I would as soon defend a lion. Just let it loose and it will defend itself."

17% of Christians are the soldiers. Good to know the numbers are so high. I would have predicted much less. Sadly. And I thought I was an optimist...

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Intersting but wondering how the Barna group conduct this survey.
What do they mean by christians and how do they get people to answer their questions. Is it multichoice or what.
Is it only americans in this survey..or do they conduct this one worldwide.
Personally I've never been randomly surveyed on my beliefs the only time I remember is answering the religion question on the census forms. I just put 'born again christian' for that one.

It was only one question though.

L

Locoponydirtman

While I understand your concerns, with a little homework you'll discover that The Barna Group is a respected research organization. They do understand statistics, and they do know how to conduct and interpret polls.
Do they understand Christianity?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I just looked up the website of the Barna group and it is american.
I mean they havent asked christians in other countries what their worldview is. I would have thought, because when you encounter christians from america they do tend to centre their prophecies (the ones in the bible, they just apply it to their own country) on america rather than the centre of which is Jerusalem where Jesus was crucified.

In america they would teach that america is the centre of the universe and they pledge allegiance to their flag and all sorts of things like that. They dont really teach biblical history in school they teach american history. So it wouldnt be surprising that only 17 or it 9% would have a biblical world view. When I read a lot of christian literature published in america I totally see this bias many authors just automatically presume america is the only christian nation there is and that their way of life is inherently according to the bible. This is how you get all sorts of sects like..mormons. Jehovahs witnesses. Sdas. But God has a heart for all people from all nations, tribes and tongues not just americans. There is life outside of america!

They wrote that they ask practising christians egs those that go to church at least once a month. But the interesting thing is, when they divided it up by age group it was the baby boomers who rated lower than the millenials. Maybe its because they had more time for other worldviews and culture to sink in to their thinking I dont know...when you are a babe in Christ you just accept what God says in childlike faith you dont tend to argue with the one who saves you.

Has anyones done the survey here? maybe we could all do the survey and see if we all have a biblical worldview? If its online we could do it as long as it doesnt take all day....

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
How does anyone arrive at such a statistic?
What was the standard?
How many were sampled?
Intersting but wondering how the Barna group conduct this survey.
What do they mean by christians and how do they get people to answer their questions. Is it multichoice or what.
Is it only americans in this survey..or do they conduct this one worldwide.
what exactly is a world view that aligns with the bible? can you give a few examples?
details of the methodology of the study, including confidence level & percentage error ((around ± 3)) are in the link i previously found & provided:

https://www.barna.com/research/most-adults-feel-accepted-by-god-but-lack-a-biblical-worldview/

Laish

Jul 31, 2016
I saw a quote in someones signature box that I liked.

It said "Defend the bible? I would as soon defend a lion. Just let it loose and it will defend itself."

17% of Christians are the soldiers. Good to know the numbers are so high. I would have predicted much less. Sadly. And I thought I was an optimist...
Did it look like that that thing down there 👇? If so I will keep a look out .
Blessings
Bill

J

jaybird88

Dec 29, 2018
so its not really something in the bible it has to do with these barna.com research people?
Well, yes, research people do the survey to see if one has a marxist worldview or a humanist worldview or a Biblical worldview.