Let's play Bible Trivia!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Let me rephrase my first trivia: Who is the only Christian repeatedly mentioned in the NT from whom we have writing from his own hand (not a copy!)? Hint I saw his writing during my "Footsteps of St. Paul" tour of Greece and Turkey.

Now let me add another Bible trivia:
(1) Who is the only woman in the NT who was both a disciple of Jesus and later an apostle?
Hello MadHermit,

Welcome to Bible Trivia! We’re glad you’re here! :love:

Be sure that all your questions can be answered with scripture. :)(y)

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Let me rephrase my first trivia: Who is the only Christian repeatedly mentioned in the NT from whom we have writing from his own hand (not a copy!)? Hint I saw his writing during my "Footsteps of St. Paul" tour of Greece and Turkey.
So, my guess is Paul.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Who is the only woman in the NT who was both a disciple of Jesus and later an apostle?
My guess would be Mary Magdalene but, I don’t think there were any women that were disciples or later apostles......... please share the Bible verses with us. :)(y)

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
My guess would be Mary Magdalene but, I don’t think there were any women that were disciples or later apostles......... please share the Bible verses with us. :)(y)
I can see from the commentaries that I just read trying to find this answer that by the definition of diciple she could be considered one. But I can not find any verses that say that so I agree, verses please.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Noah had 3 sons. One son exposed Noah’s nakedness, while the other two covered their father Noah’s nakedness.

Who exposed and who covered? Name them.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Noah had 3 sons. One son exposed Noah’s nakedness, while the other two covered their father Noah’s nakedness.

Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside. But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it upon both their shoulders and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were turned away, so that they did not see their father's nakedness.
Genesis 9:22‭-‬23 NASB

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017

Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brothers outside. But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it upon both their shoulders and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were turned away, so that they did not see their father's nakedness.
Genesis 9:22‭-‬23 NASB
Correct! Great job, CharliRenee! :love:(y)

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I can see from the commentaries that I just read trying to find this answer that by the definition of diciple she could be considered one. But I can not find any verses that say that so I agree, verses please.
Jesus said the greatest among you shall be the least and the least shall be the greatest. Jesus washed their feet. But wait...
https://biblehub.com/john/12-3.htm
Mary took a litron of very expensive perfume made of pure nard and anointed Jesus' feet. She wiped his feet with her hair, and the house became filled with the fragrance of the perfume. NET Bible. Then Mary took three quarters of a pound of expensive aromatic oil from pure nard and anointed the feet of Jesus.
  • John 12 KJV · John 12 NIV · Filled
  • She was the only one! Thus I believe she was the greatest apostle of all.
  • She was the one selected to share the greatest news too.
    • https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+20:17-18&version=NIV
      John 20:17-18 New International Version (NIV) 17 Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” 18 Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told ...

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Jesus said the greatest among you shall be the least and the least shall be the greatest. Jesus washed their feet. But wait...
https://biblehub.com/john/12-3.htm
Mary took a litron of very expensive perfume made of pure nard and anointed Jesus' feet. She wiped his feet with her hair, and the house became filled with the fragrance of the perfume. NET Bible. Then Mary took three quarters of a pound of expensive aromatic oil from pure nard and anointed the feet of Jesus.
  • John 12 KJV · John 12 NIV · Filled
  • She was the only one! Thus I believe she was the greatest apostle of all.
  • She was the one selected to share the greatest news too.
    • https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+20:17-18&version=NIV
      John 20:17-18 New International Version (NIV) 17 Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” 18 Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told ...
Hi calibob,

I know it’s tempting to share commentaries but, it’s best to stay with only scripture in Bible Trivia.

Jesus did acknowledge Mary anointing His feet by saying the act would be a memorial to her but, Jesus called the 12 and named them.

After the death of Judas Iscariot, he was replaced by Matthias.

Mary did sit at Jesus’ feet and hung on every word He said. Jesus even said He liked her there and would not ask her to go help Martha in the kitchen.

Mary was at the tomb and was the first to see Jesus but, remember what Jesus told the mother of James and John..........who sits on my left or my right in the kingdom is not for Me to give, My Father chooses.

According to scripture, only men were disciples and apostles.

However, I look forward to seeing who the Father chooses to sit next to His Son Jesus....:love:(y)

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
Lafftur Thanks for playing. Let me answer my first trivia and let you continue to research the 2nd question. (1) Who is the only NT figure whose writing we have in his original hand (no in a copy!) The answer is Erastus,
a high ranking public official and one of Paul's missionary companions:

https://www.bibleodyssey.org/en/tools/image-gallery/c/church-at-corinth-erastus.aspx

When I visited Corinth, I found it interesting that his inscription was near an ancient theater outside the main site of ruins for which we had to pay admission to see. It was down a dirt trail by the parking lot and included several interesting first-century buildings.

(2) Mary Magdalene is a good guess, but not he answer to my 2nd question. Hint: The correct answer is a woman who was t he highest ranking Christian in the early church of Paul's day.

(3) Now for my favorite--a 3rd question. When I was a Theology professor at a Catholic university, I opened my first class with this question: What is the name of the woman who invented the Roman Catholic church and never got credit for it? The students smiled, thinking I was joking, but I wasn't! OK, I was kidding about the word "invented;" I meant "founded." Who would you guess I had in mind?

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Hi calibob,

I know it’s tempting to share commentaries but, it’s best to stay with only scripture in Bible Trivia.

Jesus did acknowledge Mary anointing His feet by saying the act would be a memorial to her but, Jesus called the 12 and named them.

After the death of Judas Iscariot, he was replaced by Matthias.

Mary did sit at Jesus’ feet and hung on every word He said. Jesus even said He liked her there and would not ask her to go help Martha in the kitchen.

Mary was at the tomb and was the first to see Jesus but, remember what Jesus told the mother of James and John..........who sits on my left or my right in the kingdom is not for Me to give, My Father chooses.

According to scripture, only men were disciples and apostles.

However, I look forward to seeing who the Father chooses to sit next to His Son Jesus....:love:(y)
Thank you but I wasn't quoting anyone but what I wrote came from my head alone and only an opinion based upon what I read that I did quote. Not everything is in the accepted cannon now like Mary Magdalene having her demons cast out. I says so but the text it referred to has been lost or deleted. There was a gospel of Mary Magdalene but it was not accepted into the cannon. I've never read it. So when I say I think it's only my option based upon what incomplete info I have. Remember the RCC branded her as a prostitute for centuries and they decided what was accepted into the cannon.
Sorry, I'll just keep my opinions to myself on this thread. Bob.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Thank you but I wasn't quoting anyone but what I wrote came from my head alone and only an opinion based upon what I read that I did quote. Not everything is in the accepted cannon now like Mary Magdalene having her demons cast out. I says so but the text it referred to has been lost or deleted. There was a gospel of Mary Magdalene but it was not accepted into the cannon. I've never read it. So when I say I think it's only my option based upon what incomplete info I have. Remember the RCC branded her as a prostitute for centuries and they decided what was accepted into the cannon.
Sorry, I'll just keep my opinions to myself on this thread. Bob.
Hi calibob, :love:

So sorry, I thought you had cut and pasted from a commentary. lol! I'm sorry, please forgive me.

I have heard about the gospel by Mary Magdalene and would love to read it, too. I understand there are pages missing or something like that and it is not fully understandable. Which is a same. It would be nice to read a woman's perspective of Jesus.

Thank you for sharing. Sorry again for misunderstanding your answer. Please ALWAYS feel free to share, I just want to keep this thread focused on the scriptures.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Lafftur Thanks for playing. Let me answer my first trivia and let you continue to research the 2nd question.

(1) Who is the only NT figure whose writing we have in his original hand (no in a copy!) The answer is Erastus,
a high ranking public official and one of Paul's missionary companions:

https://www.bibleodyssey.org/en/tools/image-gallery/c/church-at-corinth-erastus.aspx

When I visited Corinth, I found it interesting that his inscription was near an ancient theater outside the main site of ruins for which we had to pay admission to see. It was down a dirt trail by the parking lot and included several interesting first-century buildings.
Interesting. I found him in the Bible:

Acts 19:22
So he sent into Macedonia two of them that ministered unto him, Timotheus and Erastus; but he himself stayed in Asia for a season.

Romans 16:23
Gaius mine host, and of the whole church, saluteth you. Erastus the chamberlain of the city saluteth you, and Quartus a brother.

2 Timothy 4:20
Erastus abode at Corinth: but Trophimus have I left at Miletum sick.

(2) Mary Magdalene is a good guess, but not he answer to my 2nd question. Hint: The correct answer is a woman who was t he highest ranking Christian in the early church of Paul's day.
Could it be Lydia the seller of purple cloth or Priscilla, the wife of Aquilla?

(3) Now for my favorite--a 3rd question. When I was a Theology professor at a Catholic university, I opened my first class with this question: What is the name of the woman who invented the Roman Catholic church and never got credit for it? The students smiled, thinking I was joking, but I wasn't! OK, I was kidding about the word "invented;" I meant "founded." Who would you guess I had in mind?
Is she in the Bible?

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
(2) Who is the only NT woman that was both an apostle (and companion of Paul) and one of Jesus' disciples? The answer is the same as that to another trivia question: How did Jesus support Himself financially during His public ministry? The answer is found in Luke 8:2-3. His female disciples who traveled with Him supported Him financially. These women included Joanna, the Hebrew form of the Greek name Junia, who is the only female apostle and was in prison with Paul:

"Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who have been in prison with me. They are outstanding among[a] the apostles, and they were in Christ before I was (Romans 16:7)."

The KJV ducks the implication that women could be apostles by translating the Greek as "Junias," a man's name. But Junia was a common Greco-Roman female name and Junias is virtually unprecedented as a man's name in the ancient world! Thus, in the early Church Fathers, Junia is widely acknowledged as a female apostle. This was later deemed too awkward dur to the prohibition of leadership roles for women; so the name was changed to Junias. If women can be apostles, why can't they be popes?

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Hi calibob, :love:

So sorry, I thought you had cut and pasted from a commentary. lol! I'm sorry, please forgive me.

I have heard about the gospel by Mary Magdalene and would love to read it, too. I understand there are pages missing or something like that and it is not fully understandable. Which is a same. It would be nice to read a woman's perspective of Jesus.

Thank you for sharing. Sorry again for misunderstanding your answer. Please ALWAYS feel free to share, I just want to keep this thread focused on the scriptures.
No trouble, I misunderstood your question and there is no clear definitive of whom the disciple referred to was and was asking for scripture to support or opinion was. I glad you didn't ask about James, John

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
No trouble, I misunderstood your question and there is no clear definitive of whom the disciple referred to was and was asking for scripture to support or opinion was. I glad you didn't ask about James, John
calibob,

Too late! lol! Who are James and John in the Bible?