Let's play Bible Trivia!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Why was moses prohibited from entering the land of canaan?

Great question!

Moses did not honor the Lord in the sight of all the people of Israel as the Lord had commanded. Instead of speaking to the Rock to bring forth water, Moses struck the Rock twice.

I've heard it said and is good to mention here..........

Moses as "The Law" could not enter nor inherit the Promise Land. Joshua as a "type" of Yeshua/Jesus the Savior would lead the people into the Promise Land, into their inheritance from the Lord.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
He was not allowed into the promised land because he struck the rock twice at Mirabah and failed to give the glory to God for the water from the rock. From Wikipedia:

One possible reason for the punishment is that Moses had struck the rock twice, rather than just speaking to it as he had been told to do;[19][full citation needed] another possibility is that he had rashly addressed the Israelites by the phrase you rebels.[19][full citation needed] Yet another reason may be that Moses attributes the miracle to his own power and fails to mention the Lord.

I believe the last sentence make the most sense after reading the account.
@Deade - I'm going to nickname you "Swifty" because you were swifter than I was to answer the question! lol! :LOL::ROFL::love:(y)

You know, Moses had just buried Miriam. He was kind of in a bad mood.......:unsure::mad:

Lord have mercy on us, help us with our "attitudes"!!! Amen. :love:(y)

Mar 28, 2016
Great question!

Moses did not honor the Lord in the sight of all the people of Israel as the Lord had commanded. Instead of speaking to the Rock to bring forth water, Moses struck the Rock twice.

Moses as "The Law" could not enter nor inherit the Promise Land. Joshua as a "type" of Yeshua/Jesus the Savior would lead the people into the Promise Land, into their inheritance from the Lord.
Not tittle or jot will be removed from the letter of the law typified by Moses. The father struck the Son once in Isaiah 53. Not over and over exposing Jesus the rock as the source of the gospel that flowed out his side to public shame .

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Great question!

Not tittle or jot will be removed from the letter of the law typified by Moses. The father struck the Son once in Isaiah 53. Not over and over exposing Jesus the rock as the source of the gospel that flowed out his side to public shame .

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Hmmm.....interesting...:unsure:

Yeshua/Jesus Christ is the Human Fulfillment of the Law so, it makes perfect sense!

The Law alone cannot enter the Promise Land but, the Human Fulfillment of the Law can......which is Yeshua/Jesus Christ! :love:(y)

Matthew 5:17-18 King James Version (KJV)
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
What are the only 4 words spoken by the Angel Michael in Scripture?

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
While waiting for rodders to ask a question...

God told Moses to strike the rock and water would flow but Moses did two wrong things.. The first thing was by far the most serious.. Read carefully what Moses said before he struck the rock the first time..

Numbers 20: KJV
7 "¶ And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, {8} Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink. {9} And Moses took the rod from before the LORD, as he commanded him. {10} And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock? {11} And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also."

So to the people standing before Moses and Arron who where the WE who caused water to come from the rock???

Answer Moses and Aaron... As the saying goes Moses had put God between a rock and a hard place. If God had stood his ground and not caused water to come from the Rock the crowd would have attacked Moses and Aaron on the spot.. So God was Forced to make water come from the rock all the wile knowing that many in the crowd would think that Moses was causing the Water to come from the rock..

Also Moses struck the Rock.. God told him to speak to the rock.. So again Moses did not follow Gods command in what He did.. Also Moses did not speak to the rock.. He spoke to the gathered people..

3 strikes and Moses was out..

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
The Angel Micheal will lead an army of Angels and fight in a battle in the end times.. Who will He be fighting and what will be the outcome of the Battle?

Mar 29, 2019
While waiting for rodders to ask a question...

Actually, reading the passage in Num 20 just now, I realise it was both Moses and Aaron that were given the punishment to not enter the land.

Anyway, the punishment..
I have been taught that the crime was that Moses spoiled the 'type'.
On the first occasion (Ex 17) God told Moses to strike the rock for the water to flow. On the second occasion (Num 20), God told Moses only to speak to the rock, but he instead struck it.
The rock is Jesus (1Co 10), and striking the rock the first time is a picture (type) of the crucifixion. Striking the rock a second time spoils that picture as Jesus is only crucified the once.

Mar 29, 2019
Hmm, a question..
Okay, here's an interesting one..

In the psalms, there are many little notes like 'to the chief musician' and 'a psalm of david'. Should these go at the beginning or end of the psalm? How do we know?

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Hmm, a question..

In the psalms, there are many little notes like 'to the chief musician' and 'a psalm of david'. Should these go at the beginning or end of the psalm? How do we know?
I am intrigued, hmmmm. I don't know and how do we know?

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Hmm, a question..

Hello rodders2828,

Do tell us the answer to your question... Do you know or are you as curious as us? :unsure:

Great question! :love:(y)

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
The Angel Micheal will lead an army of Angels and fight in a battle in the end times.. Who will He be fighting and what will be the outcome of the Battle?
Hello Adstar,

Great question! The Angel Michael always seems to be at war with Satan so, my guess is..... Satan or......

....is it the human form of Satan known as the anti-Christ? :unsure:

You mention “battle” which has to be the “Battle at Armageddon”......:unsure:

Outcome of that battle:

Satan bound for 1,000 years in bottomless pit.

Anti-Christ thrown alive into lake of fire.

False prophet thrown alive into lake of fire.

Yeshua/Jesus Christ begins His 1,000 year reign on the Earth - physically.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Hello Adstar,

Great question! The Angel Michael always seems to be at war with Satan so, my guess is..... Satan or......

....is it the human form of Satan known as the anti-Christ? :unsure:

You mention “battle” which has to be the “Battle at Armageddon”......:unsure:

Outcome of that battle:

Satan bound for 1,000 years in bottomless pit.

Anti-Christ thrown alive into lake of fire.

False prophet thrown alive into lake of fire.

Yeshua/Jesus Christ begins His 1,000 year reign on the Earth - physically.
Good try Lafftur :)

The Battle will happen in Heaven..
The battle will be between Micheal and his Angels against satan and his angels..
satan will lose and will be defeated and cast out of heaven with his angels down to earth..

Revelation 12: KJV
7 "And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, {8} And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. {9} And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017
Good try Lafftur :)

The Battle will happen in Heaven..
The battle will be between Micheal and his Angels against satan and his angels..
satan will lose and will be defeated and cast out of heaven with his angels down to earth..

Revelation 12: KJV
7 "And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, {8} And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. {9} And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."
That war has already happened. It’s why Satan is on the Earth now.

We too are at war now with the dragon. With Christ-The Word made flesh must face the dragon Satan and win because we know the Truth. The dragon is a lie, which can be overcome by the Truth.

Our part... what we choose to “believe” a lie or the Truth.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
That war has already happened. It’s why Satan is on the Earth now.

We too are at war now. With Christ-The Word made flesh must face the dragon Satan and win because we know the Truth. The dragon is a lie, which can be overcome by the Truth.

Our part... what we choose to “believe” a lie or the Truth.
Where does the bible say it happened? It is a prophecy in the last book of the Bible.. So still a future event as far as i can see..

Mar 29, 2019
The Psalms.

The ancient Hebrew manuscripts had no breaks between the psalms, but when it was translated into Greek in the Septuagint, the notes were attached to the beginning of the adjacent psalm. Every translation since has copied that and stuck them at the top, as a superscript, even in my NIV today.

BUT, struggling to find meaning in these notes, around 100yrs ago, some bright spark decided to look in the bible itself (often the best place for answers) to see if there were any other psalms which may help. He found two (Isaiah 38:9-20, and Habakkuk 3), and discovered the translators got it wrong all along!

And he is correct, take a look. The latter is the clearest example where it begins with (3:1) "A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet. On Shigionoth", and ends with (3:19) "For the director of music. On my stringed instruments". That is the last line in book of Habakkuk, so it can't belong to anything following.

So here is proof that the portion directed to the musicians should be a subscript, not a superscript!

Now, one example where this is significant is Psalm 8, which includes the line 'what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him'. The psalm is clearly about the messiah. Now if we steal half of the superscript from Psalm 9, we have 'For the director of music. To the tune of 'the death of the son'. Which is a bit more significant. But I have also seen it explained that this line could well be translated 'the secrets of the son', also significant.

What to make of all this? Not too much I guess, but it is a point of interest. And a good example how even the earliest translators have clearly made a mistake.

Enjoy.

Mar 29, 2019
BTW, the 'bright spark's name was Dr Thirtle, you can more info if you google him. He wrote his piece around 1904.
There's also references to other psalms it clears the confusion with. Such a simple solution to a tricky problem.

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Where does the bible say it happened? It is a prophecy in the last book of the Bible.. So still a future event as far as i can see..
I think it all depends on whether God was somewhere on Earth, or if He was in Heaven, when satan was able to approach Him in the Book of Job.

It also depends when Jesus saw THIS:

Luke 10:18 New King James Version (NKJV)
18 And He said to them, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.

jacob_g

Sep 1, 2019
Why did Rachel weep?

For a smiley face how can Rachel weep thousands of yours after her death?

2 Part question....