Liberal Hymns

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
I've heard of churches splitting over some of the lyrics in the song books. (I've also heard of splitting over what color the new carpet should be- ridiculous). Here's my two cents...

I have encountered lyrics that I disagree with it. I either ignore it and skip singing that part, or I avoid the song altogether. (I have a hymn book at home). We should all strive to be biblically accurate, especially in the worship service. The lyrics, if sung during service, is like saying "This is what we believe and are teaching you." Indeed, I remember a sermon mentioned that it is just the same to sing God a lie as it is to tell God a lie. (Dont sing about following Jesus if you're not going to do so daily). When I hear someone else's prayer or song, it goes through my filter before I can make it my own. If I agree with what's said, it becomes my prayer or song too.

But let's say I agree with every single lyric of a hymn, but my brother"s conscience is bothered by his interpretation of it. Am I going to choose that song over my brother?!!! How many songs are in that book? Seriously? You can't think of your brother more important than a song? Is the color of the carpet more important than your brother?

I am happy (I cannot stress this enough) I am oh so happy that my brother has a working conscience and cares about right and wrong! I have been in a dying church- whose members dwindled down to almost nothing. It went from twenty on a Sunday night down to two! (me and the minister, we didn't stay unless there were at least three). If skipping a song and using another song could get 18 of my brothers back, let it be! I'm not saying to allow people to pick and choose and so dominate the worship service. But if it bothers your brother's conscience to have cracker pellets instead of breaking the bread themselves, or singing a certain hymn, is your brother's soul not worth it? I would do far more to save my brother. Paul said he would cut himself off from Christ (lose his salvation) if it would save his brothers.

We must follow scripture and our conscience. Don't trip your brother up when he is exercising his conscience- within biblical reason. If he stated that his conscience says the Lords Supper should no longer be the fruit of the vine and unleavened bread, but should be Pepsi and pizza, that directly goes against scripture.

Share your thoughts.

(I forgot to mention that I am not against a hymn just because it's a new hymn, even written the same day, it just has to be correct).

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I've heard of churches splitting over some of the lyrics in the song books. (I've also heard of splitting over what color the new carpet should be- ridiculous). Here's my two cents...

I have encountered lyrics that I disagree with it. I either ignore it and skip singing that part, or I avoid the song altogether. (I have a hymn book at home). We should all strive to be biblically accurate, especially in the worship service. The lyrics, if sung during service, is like saying "This is what we believe and are teaching you." Indeed, I remember a sermon mentioned that it is just the same to sing God a lie as it is to tell God a lie. (Dont sing about following Jesus if you're not going to do so daily). When I hear someone else's prayer or song, it goes through my filter before I can make it my own. If I agree with what's said, it becomes my prayer or song too.

But let's say I agree with every single lyric of a hymn, but my brother"s conscience is bothered by his interpretation of it. Am I going to choose that song over my brother?!!! How many songs are in that book? Seriously? You can't think of your brother more important than a song? Is the color of the carpet more important than your brother?

I am happy (I cannot stress this enough) I am oh so happy that my brother has a working conscience and cares about right and wrong! I have been in a dying church- whose members dwindled down to almost nothing. It went from twenty on a Sunday night down to two! (me and the minister, we didn't stay unless there were at least three). If skipping a song and using another song could get 18 of my brothers back, let it be! I'm not saying to allow people to pick and choose and so dominate the worship service. But if it bothers your brother's conscience to have cracker pellets instead of breaking the bread themselves, or singing a certain hymn, is your brother's soul not worth it? I would do far more to save my brother. Paul said he would cut himself off from Christ (lose his salvation) if it would save his brothers.

We must follow scripture and our conscience. Don't trip your brother up when he is exercising his conscience- within biblical reason. If he stated that his conscience says the Lords Supper should no longer be the fruit of the vine and unleavened bread, but should be Pepsi and pizza, that directly goes against scripture.

Share your thoughts.

(I forgot to mention that I am not against a hymn just because it's a new hymn, even written the same day, it just has to be correct).
I remember once a singer once made a rendition of somewhere over the rainbow It was more worshipful than biblical but I still loved it, What I recall happening in the upper room on penticost was a small group of christian breaking bread and sharing about the lord when the holy spirit fell upon them they wern't having a ceremony but they were having communion. Maybe sipping wine and eating matso but that's not the point. I once knew a pastor who used coffee and donuts to bring us together into one accord. Isn't that what communion is all about?

On penticost their were no traditions so I don't put too much stock in following traditions that men made up. I am not saying that you should or shouldn't. If following tradition gives you a sense of comfort and security by all means do it. I may go to the beach with friends playing tamborines and wearing 'respectable' swimming gear [but I'm from California] while praising the lord.

Those are some of my thoughts. G'bye

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I always like "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show" by Neil Diamond. It's kind of churchy.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I've always liked "Morning Has Broken", by Cat Stevens.... who later gave up singing and became a devout Muslim. He has since started singing again, in small venues, from what I hear.

But, that song is about Jesus... and I've always thought it was a nice praise type song.

But, to the OP, I agree that we should sing songs that are as accurate, scripturally, as possible....

and, CBob... nothing wrong with coffee and donuts, but not for the communion... the love feast. Jesus told us to use unleavened bread and wine... there is a lot of symbolism involved in those chosen items. I DO also believe that he was telling us that whenever we "break bread" together, we are to do it in remembrance of him.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I was baptized in colorado lagoon in Long Beach, we had a pick nick, a Christian sing along and played volleyball afterwards. So just pack up the and grab the old ladies and everyone go to brother love's show, Alehluela!

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I've always liked "Morning Has Broken", by Cat Stevens.... who later gave up singing and became a devout Muslim. He has since started singing again, in small venues, from what I hear.

But, that song is about Jesus... and I've always thought it was a nice praise type song.

But, to the OP, I agree that we should sing songs that are as accurate, scripturally, as possible....

and, CBob... nothing wrong with coffee and donuts, but not for the communion... the love feast. Jesus told us to use unleavened bread and wine... there is a lot of symbolism involved in those chosen items. I DO also believe that he was telling us that whenever we "break bread" together, we are to do it in remembrance of him.
the pastor of which i spoke was just trying to be sneaky, and it worked:D:cool::love:

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I was baptized in colorado lagoon in Long Beach, we had a pick nick, a Christian sing along and played volleyball afterwards. So just pack up the and grab the old ladies and everyone go to brother love's show, Alehluela!
I like that. We've had two baptisms in our pool in the back yard. I've also witnessed baptisms in the waters of the Atlantic side of Grenada, and helped baptize my great aunt in the pool at the YWCA, just a couple of months before her passing.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014

Hi hg,
I knew Morning has broken is in one of our hymnals, and not originally by stevens. Here, a quick read from wiki:

"Morning Has Broken" is a popular and well-known Christian hymn first published in 1931. It has words by English author Eleanor Farjeon and was inspired by the village of Alfriston in East Sussex, then set to a traditional Scottish Gaelic tune known as "Bunessan" [1] (it shares this tune with the 19th century Christmas Carol "Child in the Manger"[2]). It is often sung in children's services and in funeral services.[3]

English pop musician and folk singer Cat Stevens included a version on his 1971 album Teaser and the Firecat. The song became identified with Stevens due to the popularity of this recording.

longtrekker

Sep 23, 2014
As a kid i liked 'Onward Christian soldiers' but given the rise of P.C.dom it has sadly slipped into obscurity.

I also real like 'Doxology' - a neat name, scientific like 'biology'. Why they didn't put a 'The' in front of it i'll never know - it also signified the end of the sermon! ( i was pretty antsy in those days - but i do think its a beautiful hymn)

tanakh

Dec 1, 2015
One of my favorites is down to the River to pray

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
I remember once a singer once made a rendition of somewhere over the rainbow It was more worshipful than biblical but I still loved it, What I recall happening in the upper room on penticost was a small group of christian breaking bread and sharing about the lord when the holy spirit fell upon them they wern't having a ceremony but they were having communion. Maybe sipping wine and eating matso but that's not the point. I once knew a pastor who used coffee and donuts to bring us together into one accord. Isn't that what communion is all about?

On penticost their were no traditions so I don't put too much stock in following traditions that men made up. I am not saying that you should or shouldn't. If following tradition gives you a sense of comfort and security by all means do it. I may go to the beach with friends playing tamborines and wearing 'respectable' swimming gear [but I'm from California] while praising the lord.

Those are some of my thoughts. G'bye
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Jesus is the one who said the unleavened bread represents His body, and the fruit of the vine (grape juice) is His blood of the covenant. Coffee is not part of that covenant. However, it is certainly ok to serve coffee, pizza, Pepsi, salad, etc. during the love feasts of fellowship (potlucks).

There are certain things that can and cannot be done during the first day of the week worship assembly. Such as women are not to teach, but to learn in silence. But once the assembly is let out of worship, it is certainly ok for women to speak to men, and to have a potluck afterwards. There is nothing wrong with using musical instruments outside of the worship assembly.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Yeah, you get it.

"Take my hand in yours,
Walk with me this day.
In my heart I know,

I will never stray..."

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Yeah, you get it.

"Take my hand in yours,
Walk with me this day.
In my heart I know,

I will never stray..."
I wasn't raised christian so the first christian music i ever heard that i ever understood came from pop radio. But you did remind me of one; 'Take your hand in the hand of the man who stilled the water'

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
I think the longer you stay at any church, the more likely you will find or hear something that is unbiblical or heresy or whatever you want to call it. All of our churches are run by humans who will never have everything correct.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Every time i look into the holy book i want to tremble, when i read about the part that the carpenter cleared the temple, 'cause the buyers and the sellers were no diffrent fellers than what i profess to be, and it's breakin my heart to know we're not the people we should be...

T

theanointedsinner

don't give Satan any ideas, if a song can split the church, just

don't give Satan any ideas

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I have often been listening to the radio and a song has come on that gives a very deep christian message to me.. It is as if God has organized this song to be played and he has caused my mind to focus on the song or a particular part of the song to give me a message.. Many of these songs are not recognized ""Christian songs""..

I enjoy them for myself and when i hear them again it reminds me of the first time i heard them in the Way i heard them when I believe God grabbed my attention..

But i fully understand how another Christian might find the song not to be to their liking.. I am ok with that.. So i enjoy that song by myself,, It becomes a special personal song between me and God.. :)

M

Miri

I don’t think it’s a bad thing that certain pop songs have biblical
themes. Who knows it may even lead someone to Christ and what better
way to potentially reach millions.

I remember when i was a kid, there was a pop group called Boney M. They did a
lot ballard and folklore style songs.

Including things like Mary’s boy child (fantastic song)

Long time ago in Bethlehem so the holy bible says
Mary’s boy child Jesus Christ was born on Christmas Day.

Also about the captivity in Babylon.
By the rivers of Babylon where we sat down
Yeah weep when we remember Zion.

As for church songs, many are not that accurate, especially
children’s somgs, but they serve a great purpose. They stick in
your brain and are remembered into adult hood. Many people’s
testimonies include things they remember from children including
songs learnt, which they are reminded of later.

I think for me the songs I dislike the most are the wish washy
repetitive ones. You know the ones that repeat 10 lines of nothing
like a mantra!

Like so

Father, father, father, father,
Father, father, father, father,

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus Jesus well you get the idea!