Linux based OS and Bible study distro

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

dhdavis37

New member
May 20, 2026
10
7
3
Hi everyone, I created this to be free for anyone that wants it. Its based on MX Linux and is full of Bible software and Biblically based resources. Burn it to a flash drive and you can run it live or later install it. Let me know what you think. It will always be free just like God's Word is available for all. God bless!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ceph
Hi everyone, I created this to be free for anyone that wants it. Its based on MX Linux and is full of Bible software and Biblically based resources. Burn it to a flash drive and you can run it live or later install it. Let me know what you think. It will always be free just like God's Word is available for all. God bless!
Will this run on Linux Mint? I know little about Linux but I'm about to get started.
 
Will this run on Linux Mint? I know little about Linux but I'm about to get started.
This is built on MX Linux which is built on Debian Linux. Linux Mint is also built on Debian. Both MX Linux and Linux Mint are great Linux distributions, but no, unless you run it straight from the USB flashdrive, you would probably need to install it over your Linux Mint. MX Linux and Linux Mint are two of the best and most stable Linux distributions you could run to replace MS Windows.
 
This is built on MX Linux which is built on Debian Linux. Linux Mint is also built on Debian. Both MX Linux and Linux Mint are great Linux distributions, but no, unless you run it straight from the USB flashdrive, you would probably need to install it over your Linux Mint. MX Linux and Linux Mint are two of the best and most stable Linux distributions you could run to replace MS Windows.
Thanks. I'm am an absolute beginner. My dual boot laptop arrived today. I'll stick with Mint for now.
 
It could be the next CE linux, I guess. We occasionally get a Christian edition of some Linux distro or other.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dhdavis37
As with Microsoft each release followed the hardware of the time frame they were released. If the computer was designed to run W98 it wont run windows 11. Then the browsers get in the way because over time the internet changed and the older browsers cant run the graphics of the modern internet. Linux distro's are similar where even older computers can run AntiX,Puppy ect.(still has 32 bit support) and the computer will run ok but when you open the browser and try to get on the internet it bogs it way down. I have a Gateway netbook that is maxed at one 2gb stick of ram running AntiX with an Atom CPU that still can work if I use Brave browser but it takes a while to load a page. We just use it in the kitchen to store recipes on. 2004 and older I just junk. With Linux just about any computer can be used again but not every computer will work on the internet. The only way to know if it will is to know the year and model of the computer and the hardware it was designed with. The operating systems were all released to run on the computers being sold year by year. My fathers old laptop is a Dell N5030 with Ubuntu 22.04 and 3gb ram but it still works if I use the private browser/firefox so it blocks all the adds the internet forces. I have newer,larger computers but not that I would use to surf social media with. Even if one goes the other direction things like the Xen Hyperviser in Qubes is not bullet proof anymore in 2026.
 
As with Microsoft each release followed the hardware of the time frame they were released. If the computer was designed to run W98 it wont run windows 11. Then the browsers get in the way because over time the internet changed and the older browsers cant run the graphics of the modern internet. Linux distro's are similar where even older computers can run AntiX,Puppy ect.(still has 32 bit support) and the computer will run ok but when you open the browser and try to get on the internet it bogs it way down. I have a Gateway netbook that is maxed at one 2gb stick of ram running AntiX with an Atom CPU that still can work if I use Brave browser but it takes a while to load a page. We just use it in the kitchen to store recipes on. 2004 and older I just junk. With Linux just about any computer can be used again but not every computer will work on the internet. The only way to know if it will is to know the year and model of the computer and the hardware it was designed with. The operating systems were all released to run on the computers being sold year by year. My fathers old laptop is a Dell N5030 with Ubuntu 22.04 and 3gb ram but it still works if I use the private browser/firefox so it blocks all the adds the internet forces. I have newer,larger computers but not that I would use to surf social media with. Even if one goes the other direction things like the Xen Hyperviser in Qubes is not bullet proof anymore in 2026.
This will easily run on a 10-12 yr old computer and 3-4 gig of ram. I have it running on a laptop with 2 gig ram, but I wouldn't go smaller. Like you said, though, eventually you hit the wall where its too slow. I like to upgrade to 125 gig SSD drives I buy on Ebay for less than $20. The SSD drives make a difference on most older computers. A mechanical SATA drive will work, but software startup tends to be slower no matter what operating system you like to run, even Puppy Linux which runs in ram once loaded. The Linux Mint LMDE edition would be my choice if I ran Linux Mint because I'm not fond of Ubuntu. Ubuntu tends to do its own thing. MX Linux just adds its own extra tools to an XFCE Debian setup, is lighter in weight and runs quicker. If anyone tries my custom Linux respin, its free and was geared for Bible study and discipleship. I've been involved in that for decades. My goal was also to create a free electronic study Bible. I think I'm close to where I wanted to be. Not sure how many more additions or changes I'll make. My wife and I are retired and dealing with old age challenges.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Squigglylines
As with Microsoft each release followed the hardware of the time frame they were released. If the computer was designed to run W98 it wont run windows 11. Then the browsers get in the way because over time the internet changed and the older browsers cant run the graphics of the modern internet. Linux distro's are similar where even older computers can run AntiX,Puppy ect.(still has 32 bit support) and the computer will run ok but when you open the browser and try to get on the internet it bogs it way down. I have a Gateway netbook that is maxed at one 2gb stick of ram running AntiX with an Atom CPU that still can work if I use Brave browser but it takes a while to load a page. We just use it in the kitchen to store recipes on. 2004 and older I just junk. With Linux just about any computer can be used again but not every computer will work on the internet. The only way to know if it will is to know the year and model of the computer and the hardware it was designed with. The operating systems were all released to run on the computers being sold year by year. My fathers old laptop is a Dell N5030 with Ubuntu 22.04 and 3gb ram but it still works if I use the private browser/firefox so it blocks all the adds the internet forces. I have newer,larger computers but not that I would use to surf social media with. Even if one goes the other direction things like the Xen Hyperviser in Qubes is not bullet proof anymore in 2026.
I like you! I hope you stick around this forum for a while. :D
 
This will easily run on a 10-12 yr old computer and 3-4 gig of ram. I have it running on a laptop with 2 gig ram, but I wouldn't go smaller. Like you said, though, eventually you hit the wall where its too slow. I like to upgrade to 125 gig SSD drives I buy on Ebay for less than $20. The SSD drives make a difference on most older computers. A mechanical SATA drive will work, but software startup tends to be slower no matter what operating system you like to run, even Puppy Linux which runs in ram once loaded. The Linux Mint LMDE edition would be my choice if I ran Linux Mint because I'm not fond of Ubuntu. Ubuntu tends to do its own thing. MX Linux just adds its own extra tools to an XFCE Debian setup, is lighter in weight and runs quicker. If anyone tries my custom Linux respin, its free and was geared for Bible study and discipleship. I've been involved in that for decades. My goal was also to create a free electronic study Bible. I think I'm close to where I wanted to be. Not sure how many more additions or changes I'll make. My wife and I are retired and dealing with old age challenges.

Ubuntu and Mate(Cinnamon,XFCE,Lubuntu ect.) are all developed by Canonical. I used the Ubuntu 14.04 and up since it first came out and so I guess I just got use to it over the years. I use the others also on other computers depending on their hardware limits. A lot of the time I just boot live from a thumb drive when surfing the web and so the computer doesn't even need a hard drive for that but SSD's are faster if your storing things. I never was into the gaming but the better GPU's to me extend the browser wall limit in the end. Things like a Victus 15l for instance where gamers see it as frustrating because other GPU's wont physically fit in the small case others might see it as good for running surfers with other iso's like Whonix,Qubes ect. At 32-64 gb's of ram and Ryzen 5 plus the NVIDIA GPU it don't get laggy on Qubes at all. For the others I just jump drive a live session and omit the os on the hard drive anyway. The reason being is if anything is compromised there's nothing on the installed hard drive but a copy of one or another Linux Distro but no files,documents,photos ect. to be found without going network through your ISP. None of it matters I think past Qday but I don't think the internet will go completely dead like in the dead internet theory but the vast majority of traffic will be limited to only those who can trust they can keep secure. In the end Chat forums,Social media ect. will just be a thing of the past because many wont be able to do that because the trust level will just not be there. 2030-35 or so mabye sooner and I think the internet as we know it will be over.
 
Ubuntu and Mate(Cinnamon,XFCE,Lubuntu ect.) are all developed by Canonical. I used the Ubuntu 14.04 and up since it first came out and so I guess I just got use to it over the years. I use the others also on other computers depending on their hardware limits. A lot of the time I just boot live from a thumb drive when surfing the web and so the computer doesn't even need a hard drive for that but SSD's are faster if your storing things. I never was into the gaming but the better GPU's to me extend the browser wall limit in the end. Things like a Victus 15l for instance where gamers see it as frustrating because other GPU's wont physically fit in the small case others might see it as good for running surfers with other iso's like Whonix,Qubes ect. At 32-64 gb's of ram and Ryzen 5 plus the NVIDIA GPU it don't get laggy on Qubes at all. For the others I just jump drive a live session and omit the os on the hard drive anyway. The reason being is if anything is compromised there's nothing on the installed hard drive but a copy of one or another Linux Distro but no files,documents,photos ect. to be found without going network through your ISP. None of it matters I think past Qday but I don't think the internet will go completely dead like in the dead internet theory but the vast majority of traffic will be limited to only those who can trust they can keep secure. In the end Chat forums,Social media ect. will just be a thing of the past because many wont be able to do that because the trust level will just not be there. 2030-35 or so mabye sooner and I think the internet as we know it will be over.
Yup. Knew that about the Ubuntu offspring. I tend to work on donated or rather old hardware so I want anything I put together to work well even on the older hardware. 4 gig of DDR2 or DDR3 ram is usually the max. The laptops I have with 16 gig are earmarked for church video editing. I don't do much gaming anymore. I spent most of my IT career doing business and IT related things so once I got home I did non-computer things. Gamers, I've found, tend to build systems that are packed with hard drive space and ram. Bible study projects I work on don't need tons of either.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Squigglylines
Yup. Knew that about the Ubuntu offspring. I tend to work on donated or rather old hardware so I want anything I put together to work well even on the older hardware. 4 gig of DDR2 or DDR3 ram is usually the max. The laptops I have with 16 gig are earmarked for church video editing. I don't do much gaming anymore. I spent most of my IT career doing business and IT related things so once I got home I did non-computer things. Gamers, I've found, tend to build systems that are packed with hard drive space and ram. Bible study projects I work on don't need tons of either.

They have to use tb's of HD space because of the size of the games plus updates. Most of it is captive to MS so they need the larger hardware even if they duel boot to run them. I'm not sure if you're aware of Qday or the dead internet theory which is why I mentioned it. If Qday takes place(I think it will) you may want to be in the mind already that the traffic online may fall off quickly and all that will be online will be Bots and extremely talented computer operators like military,government ect.
 
They have to use tb's of HD space because of the size of the games plus updates. Most of it is captive to MS so they need the larger hardware even if they duel boot to run them. I'm not sure if you're aware of Qday or the dead internet theory which is why I mentioned it. If Qday takes place(I think it will) you may want to be in the mind already that the traffic online may fall off quickly and all that will be online will be Bots and extremely talented computer operators like military,government ect.
Not familiar with Qday or dead internet theory. Denial of service attacks are already being dealt with. Generally not into conspiracy theories. Too much fear being spread around.
 
Not familiar with Qday or dead internet theory. Denial of service attacks are already being dealt with. Generally not into conspiracy theories. Too much fear being spread around.
I definitely like you!
 
Hi everyone, I created this to be free for anyone that wants it. Its based on MX Linux and is full of Bible software and Biblically based resources. Burn it to a flash drive and you can run it live or later install it. Let me know what you think. It will always be free just like God's Word is available for all. God bless!
It will still install to a flash drive, right? Not as a bootable live flash drive, but as a regular install on a flash drive instead of an internal hard drive.

Alternatively can you supply a terminal script to turn a regular MX install into your version?
 
Not familiar with Qday or dead internet theory. Denial of service attacks are already being dealt with. Generally not into conspiracy theories. Too much fear being spread around.

That's good actually but even when we go to the Christian Chat forum page the first thing it does is verify that we are human so I would hardly think that Bots becoming the vast majority of traffic on the internet is considered a conspiracy theory anymore. The current Bot traffic on the internet in 2026 is over 50% and growing. I guess the first thing that would cross peoples minds is things like Y2K and 2012 when the things people thought did not take place but Bot traffic is real enough that a good majority of pages have you do puzzles,check that your human ect. as for Qday it is as real as AI is but their thinking is that when we are at the point where Quantum computing is a reality the encryption level of security passwords will be at risk. I'm not telling you things like running a computer live on a thumb drive because I'm meaning it as if a hacker or to be sneaky instead it's that I know fully well there are sneaky hackers out there and so I minimize what they find because I know they are talented enough to do just that. In your OP you are asking about a Linux system for an online Bible study(which is good) as long as the internet is still working. If a Bible study is what is in your heart and seeing we have all been on the internet speaking with one another since the late 80's and things like AI,Bots and Quantum computing are quickly becoming a reality and not a conspiracy anymore I suggest you continue to use the internet as for today but also incorporate into your thinking how all the different preachers we have met over the years will still be able to communicate and continue the same type Bible discussions even if/after the internet is no longer useful in delivering the Gospel. So not that I'm throwing rocks under the idea but simply suggesting you consider both possibilities of dialog instead of just one. So if you set up this and have contact with multiple other Churches then even offline using something as simple as snail mail to swap things back and forth the dialog continues.
 
I definitely like you!
I'm a retired network engineer and have worked in generally all areas of IT successfully except programming. Stuff happens, sometimes accidently, sometimes purposeful. We used logs and monitoring systems to keep an eye on things. Worst problems were caused by people turning viruses loose, equipment acting goofy unexpectedly during normal operations, power outages, backhoes finding underground fiberoptic cables, and a manhole fire burning copper and fiber cables up.
 
That's good actually but even when we go to the Christian Chat forum page the first thing it does is verify that we are human so I would hardly think that Bots becoming the vast majority of traffic on the internet is considered a conspiracy theory anymore. The current Bot traffic on the internet in 2026 is over 50% and growing. I guess the first thing that would cross peoples minds is things like Y2K and 2012 when the things people thought did not take place but Bot traffic is real enough that a good majority of pages have you do puzzles,check that your human ect. as for Qday it is as real as AI is but their thinking is that when we are at the point where Quantum computing is a reality the encryption level of security passwords will be at risk. I'm not telling you things like running a computer live on a thumb drive because I'm meaning it as if a hacker or to be sneaky instead it's that I know fully well there are sneaky hackers out there and so I minimize what they find because I know they are talented enough to do just that. In your OP you are asking about a Linux system for an online Bible study(which is good) as long as the internet is still working. If a Bible study is what is in your heart and seeing we have all been on the internet speaking with one another since the late 80's and things like AI,Bots and Quantum computing are quickly becoming a reality and not a conspiracy anymore I suggest you continue to use the internet as for today but also incorporate into your thinking how all the different preachers we have met over the years will still be able to communicate and continue the same type Bible discussions even if/after the internet is no longer useful in delivering the Gospel. So not that I'm throwing rocks under the idea but simply suggesting you consider both possibilities of dialog instead of just one. So if you set up this and have contact with multiple other Churches then even offline using something as simple as snail mail to swap things back and forth the dialog continues.
I googled Qday just for kicks.

Hmm... Nothing I can do about it.

Hmm... Experts are already taking care of it.

Hmm... It's not enough for quantum computers to exist. They would have to be feasibly accessible to the people who want to crack all those encrypted strings they have stored away.

Conclusion: I should ignore it and keep playing this video game.
 
I googled Qday just for kicks.

Hmm... Nothing I can do about it.

Hmm... Experts are already taking care of it.

Hmm... It's not enough for quantum computers to exist. They would have to be feasibly accessible to the people who want to crack all those encrypted strings they have stored away.

Conclusion: I should ignore it and keep playing this video game.

Keep using Linux for the present time on the older stuff because it covers the TPM 2.0 threshold where windows cannot.
 
Keep using Linux for the present time on the older stuff because it covers the TPM 2.0 threshold where windows cannot.
My windoze 10 computer never... er, winblows... WINDOWS 10 computer never gets online anyway. I don't want to bog it down with antivirus, firewall, etc. It stays offline and doesn't even know that winslows 11 exists yet.

Hmm... Maybe I HAVE been hanging out on too many linux chats.

But yeah, my windows doesn't get online. It stays definitely offline and plays only games I ported from gog.com and makes music tracks with a digital audio workstation.

If I want to use this box to get online I slip a low-profile flash drive in a USB port and run Linux Mint (21.something, cinnamon edition) to run an internet session.