I've tried 3 versions of Linux. One won't even download. It seems that my system is incompatible.
"Based on a true story, and she doesn't know I made this comic because her wifi hasn't worked for weeks."
I have a Win10 PC desktop. I'd better like Linux, that's all I can say. I'll get the new one in a week so I'm looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.What I should have asked a long time ago is, what kind of laptop is this? You mentioned Windows, so I assumed it was not a chromebook...
Linux has been run on everything from an electronic pregnancy tester to a head of iceberg lettuce. I only wish that was a joke.
However:
There is much wisdom in just using what works for you. I saw in another thread where you got a used, retrofitted laptop. If that is working well, that is probably where this story should end.
If you still want to mess around with the old desktop, just for kicks or to make it useful again, lemme know when you'll be in chat and I'll be there. I can be online most nights between 5pm and 9pm Central Standard Time.I have a Win10 PC desktop. I'd better like Linux, that's all I can say. I'll get the new one in a week so I'm looking forward to it. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.
I have over 10 years of "stuff" on my computer. If I can port it all across the the laptop, That will be good.If you still want to mess around with the old desktop, just for kicks or to make it useful again, lemme know when you'll be in chat and I'll be there. I can be online most nights between 5pm and 9pm Central Standard Time.
But for a desktop... Sadly I'd just say chunk it. Nobody uses desktops anymore, it seems. I can't even GIVE them away. Like, the poor folks at church, who have multiple kids who might use it, even they won't take a desktop PC anymore. Back in the day I used to get old PCs people were throwing away, clean them up, install some good programs and find them new homes. Those days are long past though.
It might be a nice learning experience though, if you still want to mess around with it. From the limted information I'd guess the installer messed up when making the bootable hard drive. That or the download got corrupted. (But every time, over multiple different distros?)
Perhaps, where you are - but not everywhere. Believe me when I tell you - some folks still prefer a desktop over a laptop - I am one of them. And, somehow, I do not believe that I am the only one.But for a desktop... Sadly I'd just say chunk it. Nobody uses desktops anymore, it seems. I can't even GIVE them away.
Sounds like an unappreciative snobby attitude to me.Like, the poor folks at church, who have multiple kids who might use it, even they won't take a desktop PC anymore.
There are recycling companies doing this today making money off of it.Back in the day I used to get old PCs people were throwing away, clean them up, install some good programs and find them new homes. Those days are long past though.
I'm so used to a desktop that I prefer it to a laptop. I tried to get Linux to run. I did not get past the installation stage. So I've ordered a laptop with dual boot. We'll see how it works out. I can always pass it off to my wife. Hers is getting old now.Perhaps, where you are - but not everywhere. Believe me when I tell you - some folks still prefer a desktop over a laptop - I am one of them. And, somehow, I do not believe that I am the only one.
Sounds like an unappreciative snobby attitude to me.
There are recycling companies doing this today making money off of it.
The place you ordered it from did not offer linux on a desktop? Some places do these days. In any case, I hope it works out well for you...I'm so used to a desktop that I prefer it to a laptop. I tried to get Linux to run. I did not get past the installation stage. So I've ordered a laptop with dual boot. We'll see how it works out. I can always pass it off to my wife. Hers is getting old now.
I'm so used to a desktop that I prefer it to a laptop. I tried to get Linux to run. I did not get past the installation stage. So I've ordered a laptop with dual boot. We'll see how it works out. I can always pass it off to my wife. Hers is getting old now.
My wife has a Laptop. I could have bought a desktop, but I have nowhere to put it. My desktop has a good ten years of "stuff" on it so I have to keep it. My wife will use the new laptop from time to time. She is not tied to the computer like I am.The place you ordered it from did not offer linux on a desktop? Some places do these days. In any case, I hope it works out well for you...![]()
I tried running from a bootable USB. Tried Mint, Kubuntu and something that would not even finish downloading. After looking at some forums, I think my system is too old for modern kernels and I don't have the energy to mess around.Try just running a Live OS on it. Sometimes the live OS will work but not the full install. Ubuntu has live OS.
What's the name and model of the laptop?I tried running from a bootable USB. Tried Mint, Kubuntu and something that would not even finish downloading. After looking at some forums, I think my system is too old for modern kernels and I don't have the energy to mess around.
If you want to come back to it later, when you have energy and time to spare, I recommend puppy linux. Tiny download, made for specifically older computers. Looks ugly as homemade sin, but works well.I tried running from a bootable USB. Tried Mint, Kubuntu and something that would not even finish downloading. After looking at some forums, I think my system is too old for modern kernels and I don't have the energy to mess around.
Thanks. I'll see how it goes with the new laptop. Having Linux preinstalled should help. I'm mostly concerned about internet banking and identity theft. I've lost confidence in Win 10.If you want to come back to it later, when you have energy and time to spare, I recommend puppy linux. Tiny download, made for specifically older computers. Looks ugly as homemade sin, but works well.
There's also Bunsen Labs linux, but the learning curve is steep on that one.