Little house on the prairie.

  • Thread starter Thread starter SearchingforSerenity
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Hi Gary, I wasn't personally offended by what you said at all. I already knew your statement was not Biblical (but you did somewhat retract it, so kudos!) 😎.

My issue with your statement isn't what you believe but rather that you could influence young impressionable women to marry in haste trying to receive God's blessing, all while further alienating those women on here who are older and might actually give you a shot 🤦‍♀️

Tring to stop you from ruining your own chances with the ladies is an uphill battle. I am growing weary. I might need a new hobby. 🤔 😑



Ok, THAT part was flat-out insulting, though i am not personally offended. I am merely telling you because I have been cursed with optimism towards generally well- meaning buttheads such as yourself 😑. What you said is (by your own admission) NOT clearly stated in the Bible. Therefore cannot be considered a Biblical truth. If it were that would be another matter but we can't just go making things up 🙄.

Anyways, carry on.... I'll just watch from the sidelines 🍿
I feel your pain...and indignation
 
  • Like
Reactions: Snackersmom
Arrowtown miners huts.
You wanna live in those??

The Chinese miners weren't allowed to have wives back in the day. They wouldn't have wanted to live in those houses anyway. Unless they were hobbits.

download-5.jpg
 
Hi Gary, I wasn't personally offended by what you said at all. I already knew your statement was not Biblical (but you did somewhat retract it, so kudos!) 😎.

My issue with your statement isn't what you believe but rather that you could influence young impressionable women to marry in haste trying to receive God's blessing, all while further alienating those women on here who are older and might actually give you a shot 🤦‍♀️

Tring to stop you from ruining your own chances with the ladies is an uphill battle. I am growing weary. I might need a new hobby. 🤔 😑



Ok, THAT part was flat-out insulting, though i am not personally offended. I am merely telling you because I have been cursed with optimism towards generally well- meaning buttheads such as yourself 😑. What you said is (by your own admission) NOT clearly stated in the Bible. Therefore cannot be considered a Biblical truth. If it were that would be another matter but we can't just go making things up 🙄.

Anyways, carry on.... I'll just watch from the sidelines 🍿
'butthead'? really??? :unsure:

Before I make the effort and take the time to write a long post explaining why I believe that what is going on here is 95% a misunderstanding of my motives and what I am saying - I need to get your response to this question:

Do you - or do you not - fully agree - with the christian perspective that the young woman in this short video is expressing?

Any part(s) of it that you do not fully agree with - please tell me what part(s) and why you do not agree with her.


Thank you.
 
Hi Gary, I really have no interest in a long dialogue concerning what a random woman on the internet said. You are completely entitled to your opinion on the subject, as I already stated.

My issue was that you announced God's preferred path for half of human kind..... WITHOUT anything biblical to back up your claim. That's pretty dicey real estate to occupy. It is enough to concern yourself with what is "most honorable in the eyes of God" for Gary to do. God can deal with everyone else, even the women 😉.

P.S. if the butthead comment was too much I do apologize for that. But it was not my intent to be offensive so please try not to be too easily offended.

😉
 
I gave my opinion - you are the one who has taken it too far. Go back and read my posts again - this time read what I said and not what you wanted it to say. Remember the 95% comment. For example, I never said that only married women could/would be blessed by God. Yet, you seem to want to make it sound as if I did say that. Also, I do not advocate young women getting married too quickly or too soon - there are many things they need to consider before entering into marriage - one of the most important of them is illustrated/indicated in the Bible passage in this post below. If you really think that my simple remark alone would actually overpoweringly sway a young woman to rush to get married - "yeah, right" - come on now, be real... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Titus 2:

1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: 2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. 3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; 4 That they may teach the young women
to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
 
I gave my opinion - you are the one who has taken it too far. Go back and read my posts again - this time read what I said and not what you wanted it to say. Remember the 95% comment. For example, I never said that only married women could/would be blessed by God. Yet, you seem to want to make it sound as if I did say that. Also, I do not advocate young women getting married too quickly or too soon - there are many things they need to consider before entering into marriage - one of the most important of them is illustrated/indicated in the Bible passage in this post below. If you really think that my simple remark alone would actually overpoweringly sway a young woman to rush to get married - "yeah, right" - come on now, be real... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Titus 2:

1 But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine: 2 That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. 3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; 4 That they may teach the young women
to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

Hi again Gary-

I am truly sorry that you feel misrepresented. I have not misquoted you, so I am not sure why you feel that way.

I do not think further discussion on the matter would be fruitful, our communication styles are too different.

Hopefully we can both agree that Godly marriage is honorable, and that being a full-time wife and mother is an honorable job if a woman is so called.

Best!
 
Hi again Gary-

I am truly sorry that you feel misrepresented. I have not misquoted you, so I am not sure why you feel that way.

I do not think further discussion on the matter would be fruitful, our communication styles are too different.

Hopefully we can both agree that Godly marriage is honorable, and that being a full-time wife and mother is an honorable job if a woman is so called.

Best!
Of course, you misunderstood what I wrote. I believe that you still have not yet realized that I ceased talking about unmarried women back at the end of post #68 - with the use of the word 'retract'; albeit, post #69 was/is meant to be a more concise summation for the sake of clarity.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

Afterward, I only touched on specific things you asked specific questions about.

Yet, you kept going on and on and on and on about the remark that I retracted as being in any absolute "thus saith the lord" sense.

You asked for Bible verses. And, just as soon as I give you a few verses (with regard to married women), you [apparently] decide that no good discussion can come from an examination of what God says in His word...??? Hmmm - why is that???

Well, let us review it again - I looked up some Strong's definitions - consider this:

Titus 2:

4 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, 5 To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.


~ to be sober (4994)
~ to love their husbands (5362)
~ to love their children (5388)
~ to be discreet (4998)
~ [to be] chaste (53)
~ [to be] keepers at home (3626)
~ [to be] good (18)
~ [to be] obedient (5293) to their own husbands
~ that the word of God be not blasphemed (987)

Strong's definitions:

4994 - sophronizo; from 4998; to make of sound mind, i.e. (fig.) to discipline or correct:-teach to be sober.

5362 - philandros; from 5384 and 435; fond of man, i.e. affectionate as a wife:-love their husbands.

5388 - philoteknos; from 5384 and 5043; fond of one's children, i.e. maternal:-love their children.

4998 - sophron; from the base of 4982 and that of 5424; safe (sound) in mind, i.e. self-controlled (moderate as to opinion or passion):-discreet, sober, temporate.

53 - hagnos; from the same as 40; prop. clean, i.e. (fig.) innocent, modest, perfect:-chaste, clean, pure.

3626 - oikouros; from 3624; and ouros (a guard; be "ware"); a stayer at home, i.e. domestically inclined (a "good housekeeper"):-keeper at home.

18 - agathos; a prim. word; "good" (in any sense, often as noun):-benefit, good (-s, things), well. Comp. 2570

5293 - hupotasso; from 5259 and 5021; to subordinate; reflex. to obey:-be under obedience (obedient), put under, subdue unto, (be, make) subject (to, unto), be (put) in subjection (to, under), submit self unto.

987 - blasphemeo; from 989; to vilify; spec. to speak impiously:- (speak) blaspheme (-er, -mously, -my), defame, rail on, revile, speak evil.

Do you understand why that last phrase is at the end of verse 5?

It has to do with the "authority structure" that God set forth for mankind - men, women, and children - to accept and follow. And, it 'blasphemes' the word of God if we defy that authority structure. God has a reason for setting things up the way He did - and, that is the way He wants it - period.

A good wife knows how - and, endeavors always-and-continually - not only to minimize but to prevent chaos and stress in a home.

Because, no man wants a woman in his home that will precipitate or provoke chaos and stress - it is simply not worth it on any level.

A good wife never undermines her husbands authority as head of the household. She supports him in every way to succeed in his vision for the protection, well-being, development, and encouragement of his family.

(And, if he is a wise man, he will do his best to incorporate his wife's vision - because, he values it for her sake - into his vision - according to what he believes and decides is realistic and proper for his family.)

You probably think that I am somehow "against" women - but, don't even think it! That is not the case at all. A good wife is a husband's treasure. And, a good husband will treat her wonderfully every day of her life. However, I also know that the only way it really actually works is if each of them sincerely and seriously strives to perform the role that God set forth for them.

I "applaud" the young woman in the video for knowing and understanding the proper Christian attitude and approach to being a wife. What she says in that video is a modern-day application of the relative principles found in the Bible concerning being a good wife in a good marriage.

And - I applaud her "with highest honor" for saying what she says without also feeling like she [just] has to give the "obligatory neutralizing rundown" of the husbands responsibilities in the marriage. (Because, it is understood that he also has a role - and that, it is a perfectly valid separate conversation that may also be had on-its-own as well.) In other words, she has the courage to speak about the role of the wife with realism and acceptance - without fear - without comparison - boldly saying "what is" concerning the proper role of a wife. She understands the blessing of God that comes from the "cheerful willingness" and "deliberate endeavor" to do things His way.

Like I said before:
It behooves us all to consider wisely each-every-and-all part(s) of His truth - accept it - believe it - live it - preach it - uphold it - not fight it.

Something else - remember that "give you a shot" comment you made? Well, if a woman does not have a firmly-established deep-rooted attitude and approach to marriage like what the young woman in the video illustrates - I am not interested in her in the slightest... :)

"Food for thought..."
 
I think people themselves put emphasis on different things, but in my experience God has enough grace for all of us, no matter what station in life we are. How do we experience this grace? Through believing in Jesus.

Just because people marry in church doesn't necessarily mean it's the most pleasing thing for God, there are plenty of monks and nuns who dedicate themselves to God and do charitable/good works. But you read into the Bible whatever you want to read and it doesn't matter who or who isn't interested in YOU or you in them.....what matters is if they love Jesus, have fellowship with others who love him too, and can be brothers and sisters and mothers to each other.

If the whole point of being a Christian for women is to get married, then you most likely to end up somewhere like Gloriavale with some misguided leaders who brainwash and control their wives and don't let them off the property, and make them work for nothing. Tradwives are always justifying their way of life by making videos of them to earn money from youtube and gullible young women who enter into that lifestyle, thinking its godly, then later absolutely ruing the day they got married to a man who abuses her trust and leaves her with nothing when he leaves her when she doesn't do everything for him.

There are too many tales of those who survived that and became utterly broke monetarily (and in both heart and spirit) to believe in the myth that a tradwife is honorable to God. Oh and whats that family with the 19 children and counting...the Duggars. Yes we can see how they turned out.
 
Of course, you misunderstood what I wrote. I believe that you still have not yet realized that I ceased talking about unmarried women back at the end of post #68 - with the use of the word 'retract'

Hello yet again Gary-

Of course I did not realized that you ceased talking about unmarried women after post #69... because you never even REMOTELY SUGGESTED YOU WERE DOING SO. At no point did you even use the words "single" or "married", you just kept right on with the generic term "women". You are claiming I misunderstood or mischaracterized what you wrote, but the reality is YOU NEVER WROTE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. I am not a mind-reader 🙄.

Anyway, THAT is one (of several) reasons that I do not believe we can have a fruitful discussion. I was dead-serious when I said our communication styles are too different.

You can assume what you want about me though. That is between you and God. 🤷‍♀️

Best!
 
Netflix is rebooting The Little House series. I don't have much hope in itbbeing wholesome, being it's Netflix putting ut out. They ruined Anne of Green Gables, they'll probably queer Little House, too.

 
Anne of Green Gables has various iterations, I liked the Meghan Fellowes tv adaptation.
The Anne with an 'e' was an interesting take, not entirely true to the book, but I think in spirit it tried to capture more of Anne's trauma, which is not mentioned too much in the book. I think it overdramatised some aspects, but tis true back in the day, people 'of colour' were not even considered to have lives worth mentioning in literature.

I mean, Little House books were not complimentary to native American 'Indians' at all. While Pa and Ma lived on the land they didn't realise was stolen from them, and then they had to move because understandably the Indians were not happy!!

I don't consider it ruined at all that these things are brought to light that may have been hidden in the OG literature or viewed as unimportant. As people say their lives matter too, they just did not matter too much to white folks back in the day.

And as we've discussed, Ma's life was important too! She had a hard life for sure. I'm sure she yearned for better but did the best she could as wife to Pa. She wanted more for Laura, and Laura wanted more for her daughter. Back in the day there were not that many options for women. We definitely would not have had the Little House Books if Laura had not had the time to write them with her daughter, if she was too busy mothering and wifeing.

Anne of Green Gable's author LM Montgomery married a minister, and he did not approve of her writing and didn't care for her creations. It was a miserable marriage, I only found that out when I read a biography about her.
 
Something else - remember that "give you a shot" comment you made? Well, if a woman does not have a firmly-established deep-rooted attitude and approach to marriage like what the young woman in the video illustrates - I am not interested in her in the slightest... :)
I want to make it clear that the italicized remark at the end of this was very specifically referring to the idea of being interested in a woman for marriage. I can be friends with a woman who does not necessarily align with certain 'preferences' that I have for a wife. In general, I try to get along with and be friendly to any and every woman. However, the woman I am going to live with, eat with, sleep with, etc. etc. etc. - that is a whole 'nother story - she has to be the right kind of woman - part of which is to possess the kind of attitude, outlook, and understanding that the young woman in the video illustrates.
 
I think people themselves put emphasis on different things, but in my experience God has enough grace for all of us, no matter what station in life we are. How do we experience this grace? Through believing in Jesus.

Just because people marry in church doesn't necessarily mean it's the most pleasing thing for God, there are plenty of monks and nuns who dedicate themselves to God and do charitable/good works. But you read into the Bible whatever you want to read and it doesn't matter who or who isn't interested in YOU or you in them.....what matters is if they love Jesus, have fellowship with others who love him too, and can be brothers and sisters and mothers to each other.

If the whole point of being a Christian for women is to get married, then you most likely to end up somewhere like Gloriavale with some misguided leaders who brainwash and control their wives and don't let them off the property, and make them work for nothing. Tradwives are always justifying their way of life by making videos of them to earn money from youtube and gullible young women who enter into that lifestyle, thinking its godly, then later absolutely ruing the day they got married to a man who abuses her trust and leaves her with nothing when he leaves her when she doesn't do everything for him.

There are too many tales of those who survived that and became utterly broke monetarily (and in both heart and spirit) to believe in the myth that a tradwife is honorable to God. Oh and whats that family with the 19 children and counting...the Duggars. Yes we can see how they turned out.
'tradwife' = "traditional wife" ? :unsure:

(I do not believe that I have ever seen this term used before.)

I regret that I do not have the 30 hours it would take to give a proper response to this post.

You just go right ahead and read into the Bible whatever you want to read - and, we will all see how well that goes for you on Judgment Day.

What are you going to tell God when He asks you why you promoted and supported something [that went] "directly against" His 'recipe' for marriage?

It is a shame - and, a sad thing - and, a terrible thing - when a man forgets who he is (or should be) and mistreats his wife. This kind of thing should never happen. However, this is a totally separate issue from knowing and understanding what scripture says is God's ways and will for a man and woman who choose to get married. If he "messes up", it is sin to him. If she "messes up", it is sin to her. If either husband or wife is unwilling to follow the 'recipe' that God set forth for marriage - which He "invented" - it is both sin and a shame for whoever is unwilling.

If I remember correctly, the Duggar husband "messed up" - did something he never should have done no matter what - so, he was definitely wrong in that - period - there is no question. However, the question does arise - could she have contributed to it by way of failure to stay within the guidelines that God gave her to follow? Maybe so. Maybe not. I do not know. She could have done everything right. Unless "you were there for the whole thing" and have first-hand knowledge - you are BIASED if you automatically think that she could not have done anything wrong - just because she is a woman.

It could be (and, perhaps, is more/most likely) that he is the only one who failed to stay within the guidelines that God gave him to follow. I could certainly believe this, because it happens all-too-often. And, shame is on the man who lets it happen.

You see - I do not know for sure - so, I am not about to say something as foolish as 'he could do no wrong' or 'she could do no wrong'. As I understand it - he most definitely did do wrong - she may-or-may-not have done anything wrong.

Nonetheless, it is a separate issue from that which God set up and defined where the 'roles' of husband and wife are concerned. Just because husbands and wives (yes, both) "mess up" does not take anything away from 'God said...' - the way He wants it to be and the way He wants it to work.

If a woman thinks that 'mistreatment' of her as a wife is defined as her husband doing anything she does not agree with or does not like - she deceives herself and the truth is not in her...

As a "classic" example, if a husband insists that his wife be a [good] 'keeper at home' (a "good housekeeper") - see post #87 - then, it is NOT "abuse" or "mistreatment" of his wife like many women today would like to believe.

The "traditional wife" IS the biblical God-honored 'role' of the wife in marriage - the way He wants it to be done. Any actual real-and-true 'abuse' or 'mistreatment' of a wife by the husband is a separate issue - apart from the 'recipe' for marriage and the 'roles' for husband and wife that He put forth in His Word.

The modern all-women-are-right-and-all-men-are-wrong attitude - and/or anything else that does not follow the 'recipe' of God for marriage - IS NOT a God-honored 'role' of the wife in marriage. Rather, it is ignorance of [what] 'God said...' in the Bible. For a Christian woman, it is disobedience to God.

So, yeah - believe what you want to believe and do what you want to do - let's see how that turns out...

And, of course, anything you say or do that helps to lead other women astray from the ways and will of God - you will be judged for that, too - so, have fun with that!
 
Hello yet again Gary-

Of course I did not realized that you ceased talking about unmarried women after post #69... because you never even REMOTELY SUGGESTED YOU WERE DOING SO. At no point did you even use the words "single" or "married", you just kept right on with the generic term "women". You are claiming I misunderstood or mischaracterized what you wrote, but the reality is YOU NEVER WROTE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.
Nothing I say here will help anything - your mind is made up - how about we both just let it go with the understanding that misunderstanding has occurred on both sides of this situation. Fair enough?

I am not a mind-reader 🙄.
I say this strictly to inject a little humor - please take it that way...

Isn't this most-often said by a man to a woman after she seems to think that he should be able to read her mind? :D :giggle:

Anyway, THAT is one (of several) reasons that I do not believe we can have a fruitful discussion. I was dead-serious when I said our communication styles are too different.
My "communication style" is this - I try to be as tactful and nice as I can be to others - but, I am not afraid to state my opinion or say 'This is what the Bible says.' in any case where I honestly believe it.

You say you are concerned about my influence over women. I am even more concerned about your influence over women - IF it serves to lead them astray from the way God says they should be if they should choose to be married.

You can assume what you want about me though. That is between you and God. 🤷‍♀️
Likewise - think and believe what-you-will about me...

I sincerely hope that one day you will come to realize that I am not the "monster" that you think I am.

I am not assuming anything about you. Just because we may disagree about something does not mean that I think any differently about you the person. And, I [still] like you the person. I just wish that you and others could learn to like me the person - apart from our disagreements, etc. (but, I do not see that)

You too dear... :)

:coffee:
 
Only applies if you married

Otherwise, disrespect away....if he didn't make you an honest woman...
 
Netflix is rebooting The Little House series. I don't have much hope in itbbeing wholesome, being it's Netflix putting ut out. They ruined Anne of Green Gables, they'll probably queer Little House, too.

Did this get a chance and watched the first episode. It was boring, even needed to skip parts and like expected very 'woke' driven...

The original series is older than I am but can't be beaten with that new nonsense.
 
Well.
Just read the OG books,
I think all the tv adaptations would be recreations that are meant to satisfy the visions of the director/producer and not actually stay true to the spirit of the books.

It is very tempting to insert modern day sensibilities into any work of literature thats over 50 years old. Times do change and move on.

I think the pioneer life is of a bygone era that we are not likely to see again.