Looking for a Bible verse

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Addison

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2014
1,028
47
0
56
It goes something like how your entire life is just a night's watch with God.

I heard this once and it was from the NIV translation of the Bible during a sermon at my church.

For some reason, I'm thinking that it was written by Moses, but it's definitely Old Testament.

I would love to read this passage again if someone can find it for me.

I've Googled like crazy but I'm coming up empty.

Thanks ahead.
♥
 
maybe...

Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.
(Jas 4:14)

or

For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
(1Pe 1:24)

or even more colorful...

Therefore their inhabitants were of small power, they were dismayed and confounded; they were as the grass of the field, and as the green herb, as the grass on the housetops, and as corn blasted before it be grown up. (2Ki 19:26)
 
Last edited:
Don't recall anything saying a man's life is a night watch, but there is this verse, to indicate a post flood man's life is a whole lot less than a night watch to God,

Psalms 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Though, way back when, Methuselah almost made such a night watch. (Sorry, don't ever use a NIV, it not even part of a couple computers programs I have.)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking that was it JesusIsAll.

It's been a few years since I heard that sermon but I think you found this.

Thank you!
 
I'm thinking that was it JesusIsAll.

It's been a few years since I heard that sermon but I think you found this.

Thank you!

You're very welcome! I've had the same, or perhaps similar, problem. I remember verses sometimes in modern English that wouldn't be good translation, remember the point in my own unprecise words, and, of course, never find the actual verse in those words. Here and there you also remember something misspoken, could search forever and not find the verse in those exact words. Like Crossnote pointed out, in any case, we're a flash in the pan, to eternal God. Eternity: that's a very long time! Sometimes I think we live long enough in this world as to not die complete idiots, anyway, and only this if we're blessed to have His Spirit.