lost faith in humanity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 4, 2011
Hi ,
I was just wondering if anyone has ever gone through a phase when they felt like the only person they could really count on is God and themselves and church did not feel like a safe place anymore, How did you navigate through that ?

S

Stranger36147

I tend to have a negative view on people in general. Probably not very Christian of me if I had to guess. It is what it is, though.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I have not gone through it as the OP describes, but I have had times when the support of friends and family was not sufficient. Trust the Lord through these times; they are an opportunity to draw near to Him and to deepen your faith in Him. God is always good, even when the darkness blinds us to that.

BriJane

May 23, 2017
Hi just to say I definitely feel like that, I go through phases of attending church then not. At the moment I am not, as people at church make me feel miserable and alienated. I think it is important to realise that although people are Christian they are still as able to cause upset as we are all human after all. The church does not equal God. God loves and knows everyone, is there for all in equal measure. Human beings let others down by nature.

T

Tinuviel

Hi ,
I was just wondering if anyone has ever gone through a phase when they felt like the only person they could really count on is God and themselves and church did not feel like a safe place anymore, How did you navigate through that ?
Wait...myself? When I go through a phase of not counting on people, I am usually foremost in that list of let-downs. It passes. That's how I deal with it. It's my problem and not theirs, so I try not to treat them any different, and eventually it passes.

Feb 7, 2015
Hi ,
I'll let you know if I ever finish navigating through it.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Never have faith in humanity because humans are flawed and will always let you down, faith in God however now that is another story.
Sometimes All I really have i God as he is the one person I can always run to knowing he understands fully what I am going through

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Wait...myself? When I go through a phase of not counting on people, I am usually foremost in that list of let-downs. It passes. That's how I deal with it. It's my problem and not theirs, so I try not to treat them any different, and eventually it passes.
Your sense of perspective is rare in people in general, and almost nonexistent in teens. If you are this self-aware at 18 I think you will make something good out of whatever life you wind up having.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
Hi ,
I know the only One i can count of 100% is God...

I can only have hope that others will not fail me.. Me included..

So i don't intend to nagavate through this.. I don't want to ever have 100% trust in another person..

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
I'll never forget the high expectations I had as a new believer, attending a new church, yet the people in the congregation did not meet my expectations in regards to love and fellowship. Instead I discovered too many cliquish, judgmental, self righteous people at that church and I even turned to my wife during one of the services and said, "saved or not saved, people are still people!"

I also remember once at another church, while attending Sunday school class, the teacher mentioned that he knew someone who is now a Christian, but was previously mixed up in the occult and he even had writings that were inspired by demons that basically described people as worthless, evil, can't be trusted, better off dead etc.. and someone sitting in the front row of the class commented out loud to the teacher, "that sounds close!"

Everyone in the class laughed, but how said it is that so many have such a negative view of people in general, but not without reason. :(

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Yeah, but God loves them just as much as He loves me. That's something Jonah didn't really comprehend. God loves the people who get on your last nerve.

D

Depleted

Hi ,
Something to consider -- is it really that church isn't a safe place anymore, or is that something you're going through because of the way you see things?

It seems everyone is accepting it's the church's fault, when I notice it's 50/50. Half the time it is the church's fault. The other half is the person's fault.

I was listening to a panel of experts at a Christian convention (from early in 2016) on a video series. Take this to the 28:30ish minute, because I think Sproul took it where the others either didn't dare or didn't consider. (And, if you want to listen to all the answers to that question, you'll have to scroll back for about 3 minutes.)

[video=youtube;c-7_dmmd9Is]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-7_dmmd9Is[/video]

I'm wondering if you think you can really only count on God, maybe the plan is not to count on him either. After all, he gives us what we need, and we need people.

D

Depleted

Hi just to say I definitely feel like that, I go through phases of attending church then not. At the moment I am not, as people at church make me feel miserable and alienated. I think it is important to realise that although people are Christian they are still as able to cause upset as we are all human after all. The church does not equal God. God loves and knows everyone, is there for all in equal measure. Human beings let others down by nature.
People in church, or anyway else, cannot make you anything.

D

Depleted

Never have faith in humanity because humans are flawed and will always let you down, faith in God however now that is another story.
Sometimes All I really have i God as he is the one person I can always run to knowing he understands fully what I am going through
You had enough faith in humanity to get treated by doctors. You have enough faith in humanity to love Steph. You have enough faith in humanity to trust some people in your life and on this site. What's this "never" thingy you have now?

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
My view of humanity is that we are all flawed but many have wonderful gifts of kindness, wisdom, hospitality and warmth. There are times when we will walk alone. The church is only comprised of sinners. Marriages, friendships and counsellors are all the same. Our lives are a mix of brokenness and everyday miracles and blessings. We are surrounded by beauty that sometimes we refuse to take in and dwell on the rich moments given to us. We wait as spectators rather than active participants in our own lives. Pain and sorrow are valid and I am sorry if you are hurting. In that sorrow take time to be still. I am walking through one of those times. What I know is that others have not failed us by not being what they never were. Humanity, in all its facets, is us.