Love your neighbor vs Governments going to War

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI

I am curious if we to use love your neighbor in politics what would that look like?

What actions should we take with North Korea? or Terrish nations or with Terrorist nations?

Should a Government use the sword when needed? Romans 13

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021

I am curious if we to use love your neighbor in politics what would that look like?

What actions should we take with North Korea? or Terrish nations or with Terrorist nations?

The problem is that the world does not play by God's rules. We may decide to "love our neighbour" but what if he responds with a nuclear strike? North Korea does not play nicely. Anyone who shows the slightest hint of dissent is killed. Christians are automatically considered dissenters.

Iran constantly threatens to wipe Israel off the map. Russia invaded Ukraine and annexed Crimea. The USA has conducted many wars, some justifiable, some not. Vietnam, Iraq II and Afghanistan are unmitigated disasters.

Only God can put an end to war. He will. In the meantime, the world is controlled by Satan and war is inevitable.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
"The often quoted 'Love your enemies' reads 'diligite inimicos vestros,' and not diligete hostes vestros. No mention is made if the political enemy."- Carl Schmitt

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello @TheLearner, so we'll have it for the sake of discussion, I'll post the passage that you mentioned from Romans.

Romans 13
1 Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
2 Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves.
3 For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same;
4 for it is a minister of God to you for good. But if you do what is evil, be afraid; for it does not bear the sword for nothing; for it is a minister of God, an avenger who brings wrath on the one who practices evil.
5 Therefore it is necessary to be in subjection, not only because of wrath, but also for conscience’ sake.

Interesting topic! Thanks :)

God bless you!

~Deut

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
mmm I dont think when someone is loved they would actually respond with a nuclear strike.
I guess the Japanese didnt love the americans enough when they bombed Pearl Harbour and the US retailiated by nuclear bombing hiroshima.

so maybe, the Japanese ought to make up for it by giving gifts of bonsai, paper cranes and sushi to the americans? I dont know.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
actually the Japanese government did gift some Cherry trees to the american govt. They are planted along the Potomac River in Washington DC.

So I think they are friends...
Oh wait, that was in 1909, before they bombed Pearl Harbour. I wonder what happened.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
In the old testament God authorized a war against evil.

God would not have wanted us to live under Hitler.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
the world sucks.

sorry but it does.

Its like telling a bully to change their ways.

Thankfully Jesus refused to get involved with politicking. He could have been mayor or king or in a position of worldy power but when Satan offered him all the kingdoms of this world he was like no thanks.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I thought on this a bit more and these scriptures come to mind so we can let God handle it when nations fight each other.
Joel 3:12
Isaiah 2:4
Micah 4:3

Im thinking it will be like Miss Universe, but instead of a worldwide female beauty pageant it will be like which nation has the best gardens?

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014

Pray ask God direction convince them not to use nuc if they are endanger their neighbor than attack them to protect their neighbor
love your neighbor mean protect their neighbor too

BillG

Feb 15, 2017

Can Romans 13 be reconciled with

Matthew 22?

Give into Ceasar?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017

Yet in the OT God allowed Israel to live under similar regimes we have today this world.

Why would it be different?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017

Sorry but I cannot see how the greatest 2nd commandment to love your neighbor as yourself Vs Governments going to to war relates.

Who are our neighbors?
Not government but people we acting towards in the nature of God gievn to us.

Parable of the good Samaritan.