LSV and MEV are better than KJV.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 26, 2020
I like and only recommend literal Bibles based on Textus Receptus or Majoritarian Text.
LSV (Literal Standard Version) is a Bible based on YLT (Young's Literal Translation), LSV was published in 2020, as an update to YLT that is from 1898, LSV is extremely literal, the order of the words in the verses are based on the order of the words in Hebrew and Greek, but it is an excellent Bible for you to study. (LSV is my favorite)
MEV (Modern English Version) is practically an updated KJV, MEV was published in 2015, it is a little more literal than KJV, but in certain points it tries to "fix" the Bible as using terms according to modern logic and not the point of view of the ancient world (use of the term "epileptics" instead of "lunatick", "lunatick" is more similar to the original Greek "seleniazomai", etc.), MEV is an excellent alternative to KJV, in fact I believe that KJV should be replaced by MEV, because MEV is better, more literal, and in today English.
I do not recommend paraphrase or Critical Text based bibles.
I also recommend that you have a paper bible, because nowadays, we don't know what can happen, Christians can be tracked by governaments, and, electronic devices can fail, break, need battery charge, etc.
You will need to have a paper Bible, its more secure.

Feb 29, 2020
MEV is an excellent alternative to KJV, in fact I believe that KJV should be replaced by MEV, because MEV is better, more literal, and in today English.
The MEV has some passages that use the same watered down words that most modern translations use.

I do not agree.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
LSV (Literal Standard Version) is a Bible based on YLT (Young's Literal Translation), LSV was published in 2020, as an update to YLT that is from 1898, LSV is extremely literal, the order of the words in the verses are based on the order of the words in Hebrew and Greek, but it is an excellent Bible for you to study.
The Preface of the LSV says that they consulted the Septuagint for OT readings, But the Septuagint was corrupted right from the start, and there are some very significant differences from the Masoretic Text. This should be a serious concern.

As to literal translations (such as Young's, which follows the traditional Hebrew and Greek Texts) the very fact that the idioms and language do not have the same construction in English means that they are only good Bible study tools. However the King James 2000 Bible has been updated and also maintains the idiomatic usage of the KJV.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I like and only recommend literal Bibles based on Textus Receptus or Majoritarian Text.
LSV (Literal Standard Version) is a Bible based on YLT (Young's Literal Translation), LSV was published in 2020, as an update to YLT that is from 1898, LSV is extremely literal, the order of the words in the verses are based on the order of the words in Hebrew and Greek, but it is an excellent Bible for you to study. (LSV is my favorite)
MEV (Modern English Version) is practically an updated KJV, MEV was published in 2015, it is a little more literal than KJV, but in certain points it tries to "fix" the Bible as using terms according to modern logic and not the point of view of the ancient world (use of the term "epileptics" instead of "lunatick", "lunatick" is more similar to the original Greek "seleniazomai", etc.), MEV is an excellent alternative to KJV, in fact I believe that KJV should be replaced by MEV, because MEV is better, more literal, and in today English.
I also recommend that you have a paper bible, because nowadays, we don't know what can happen, Christians can be tracked by governaments, and, electronic devices can fail, break, need battery charge, etc.
BOY! WHERE WUZ YA WHENS I'D DONE AND GONE AND SPENT MY LIFES FORUTNE ON KJV'S?????

Your recommendation is of any value because?

usayso.png

Chester

May 23, 2016
Thank you for the information. I am always open to any translations that can help to understand God's Word better.

Translations based on the word order of the Greek or Hebrew are always going to be stilted and be difficult for the average English speaker to understand well. They are helpful for more in-depth study at times, but knowledge of the original languages is better. So in my opinion translations like Youngs or the LSV are of very limited value.

Good luck on trying to get the MEV to replace the KJV! Won't happen!

With the publication and the popularity of the ESV there is a very good literal alternative to the KJV for those who want it. For myself, I almost always use the KJV, but will at times consult other translations when I study. Sometime I use the NIV for reading OT passages (especially Proverbs).

Nov 23, 2013
MEV says Jesus has an origin, I wouldn't trust it.

Micah 5:2 Modern English Version (MEV)

2 But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
although you are small among the tribes of Judah,
from you will come forth for Me
one who will be ruler over Israel.
His origins are from of old,
from ancient days.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
There are certain versions of the bible that can bring certain verses and chapters to a better understanding.

But the KJV is the best overall English version.

Keeping the language and the terms the same is important because the New Testament authors referenced specific things in the Old Testament by these terms.

If you go around changing all the terms for "better" understanding then you won't know when and where the NT authors are referencing the OT and how this can change the whole meaning of what you think the "literal" translation is saying.

I think its actually purposeful. I think the new versions are purposefully deceitful in order to push their agenda. But you wouldn't know it if you don't compare it with the KJV.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Oh boy... another KJV-only thread.

(Yawn)

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
What is Literal Translation?
Thanks

Jun 26, 2020
What is Literal Translation?
Thanks
Literal Translation is closest to or identical to the term/word originally used in Hebrew and Greek.
And I compared the MEV with the KJV because they have practically the same basis, as the Textus Receptus, and the promoters of it are/were users of the KJV and were based on the KJV to create the MEV.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I don't have a specific preference God has used each version I have tried to teach to and speak to me the word of God for me is the word of God regardless of translations however I do wish I could read greek and the original hebrew the bible really does open up in a new light when you read it in this language

Jun 5, 2020
There are certain versions of the bible that can bring certain verses and chapters to a better understanding.

But the KJV is the best overall English version.

Keeping the language and the terms the same is important because the New Testament authors referenced specific things in the Old Testament by these terms.

If you go around changing all the terms for "better" understanding then you won't know when and where the NT authors are referencing the OT and how this can change the whole meaning of what you think the "literal" translation is saying.

I think its actually purposeful. I think the new versions are purposefully deceitful in order to push their agenda. But you wouldn't know it if you don't compare it with the KJV.
There are several things wrong with your post...

1) When the New Testament authors referenced specific things in the Old Testament, they were referring to the Septuagint, the Koine Greek version of the Old Testament that was "the Bible" in use at the time. They were not quoting the Hebrew Bible.

2) When you say, "I think the new versions are purposefully deceitful in order to push their agenda. But you wouldn't know it if you don't compare it with the KJV" you are making some questionable statements. The "new versions" are almost without exception superb translations based on 1) the vast number of ancient manuscripts, both Biblical and otherwise, available that weren't discovered centuries ago and 2) the knowledge of ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Koine Greek that has been gained through exceptional research and scholarship, and 3) (most important) the English language has changed considerably in the last 400+ years. The KJV doesn't mean what supposedly says because its was written in the vernacular of the 16th (not 17th) Century; nobody uses that language anywhere on the planet in 2020.

The King James Version is an antiquated version that belongs in a museum, not in the hands of modern English-speaking Christians who want to understand God's word.

Jun 5, 2020
Literal Translation is closest to or identical to the term/word originally used in Hebrew and Greek.
And I compared the MEV with the KJV because they have practically the same basis, as the Textus Receptus, and the promoters of it are/were users of the KJV and were based on the KJV to create the MEV.
I'm glad that you said "closest to" since a direct translation of the ancient languages is impossible. The verb tenses are different, and in some cases, have no equivalent in the destination language. As in any language, words have different meanings in context, so choosing the equivalent word in the destination language is the translator's decision. Also, the translation of idioms is especially difficult. Without an understanding of the culture of the audience, such word-for-word idiom translations are inscrutable, equivalent to our saying "it's raining cats and dogs" or "it's hot as hell outside".

Why is it so difficult to understand that a translation is meant to convey the meaning of the source language and that supposed "literal", "formal" translations are actually impossible to create?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
o_Oo_O:unsure::unsure:

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
Why is it so difficult to understand that a translation is meant to convey the meaning of the source language and that supposed "literal", "formal" translations are actually impossible to create?
C'mon Jaybo... you don't seriously expect to break through years of self-induced brainwashing with mere logic, do you? ;)

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The government that tracks Christians through electronics will happily confiscate their paper Bibles.

fredoheaven

Nov 17, 2015
And I compared the MEV with the KJV because they have practically the same basis, as the Textus Receptus, and the promoters of it are/wereusers of the KJV and were based on the KJV to create the MEV.
umm, literal translation 'closest to' or identical?... could you then give some examples? Thanks