Luke 3:8..."that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham". How so?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 17, 2020
Clue in Romans 1: 20.
Circumcision made one a physical Jew and a Physical member of Israel. They used sharp knives made from shattered stone. So any person could become a Jew through circumcision in that day. It's a religion, not a bloodline except for the Messiah.

Aug 14, 2019
Jesus was alluding to the fact that He is the seed of Abraham given the promise and that those who were to be His are the children through which all families would be blessed. They are the living stones that become the New Jerusalem.

Gal.3
And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
Posthuman has the sense of it. All matter, as was said, is made up of molecules, and God can form the molecules into any form he desires. Thus, John and Jesus both said that the stones would immediately cry out if, in Jesus case, the people stopped praising God when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey, meek and lowly, to do the Fathers will.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
and Genesis 2:7

mankind is essentially little different from a stone, apart from the breath of life. dust, in various densities.
Humans are a carbon based lifeform so maybe Adam was made out of coal.

Mar 4, 2020
Stones do the right thing by simply existing and laying around. Humans do the right by loving their neighbor. If they aren't doing things like giving clothes and food to those who need it then stones are doing a better job at fulfilling their purpose.

Aug 14, 2019
Our resurrected bodies are like stone. They aren't subject to change and the ravages of time.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Luke 3:8..."that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham". How so?
Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

Unconverted and unrepentant Jews were mistakenly assuming that simply because they had descended from Abraham physically (through Isaac and Jacob), they were saved. John the Baptist was exposing this fallacy by telling them that physical descent from Abraham without genuine repentance meant absolutely nothing. God could raise up physical descendants of Abraham from stones to prove it. He also warned them that if they would not repent, they were destined for Hell.

Mar 28, 2016
yes, many good clues .

I would offer the church is made up of many lively stones as the temple of God the spiritual house of God.

The apostles to represent the new testament saints represents the walls of the description of the bride of Christ and tribes as gates to represent old testament saints of that city prepared as the bride.

It is one of the what I would call "think not" doctrines but rather beleive no need to wonder..

They were having the faith of Christ that works in us in respect to the flesh of Abraham . Abraham was signified as the father of all nation But can only be the father of one. coming from the Amorite and Hittite nations

Simply the voice of the father of lies looking for flesh. They made Abraham the Pope. Like with Peter in Mathew 16. Catholics made him the Pope.

Abraham's name can easily be changed to Peter in the verse I am offering below. Same lie different face..

We are to have our unseen Father as to our Father not here. . Call no man father on earth.

Matthew 3:9 And think "not" to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Oh no! Mystery Theater! What Channel will the reruns be on?

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible

Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance,.... Or "meet" for it, such as will show it to be true and genuine: "and begin not to say within yourselves": in one of Beza's copies, and in another of Stephens's, it was read, "think not", as in Matthew 3:9. the sense is the same. The Vulgate Latin and Ethiopic versions, leave out the phrase, "within yourselves": what they are forbid to say follows,

we have Abraham to our father, for I say unto you, God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham; which need not be thought strange, when the creation of Adam out of the earth, and the production of such a numerous offspring, as the Israelites were, from Abraham and Sarah, when past all hope of children, and are signified by the rock and pit in Isaiah 51:1 are considered; See Gill on Matthew 3:9.

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
I think it can has different contexts. I personally think John was saying someone full of sin and hard hearted like stone can be made a heart of flesh. Someone mute and deaf and blind can come to faith by the power of God.