Make haste.. or slow down

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Are you a fast person, one who thinks quickly and wants action right away.. or one who lingers, waits, and slows down.. Some people look down on those who go slow. What have you learned abt going fast and slow in life?
Verses that speak of both..

Proverbs 19:2
Also it is not good for a person to be without knowledge,
And he who hurries his footsteps errs.

Proverbs 21:5
The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage,
But everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty.

Psalm 119:60
I hastened and did not delay
To keep Your commandments.

Matthew 28:7
Go quickly and tell His disciples that He has risen from the dead..

Genesis 18:7
Abraham also ran to the herd, and took a tender and choice calf and gave it to the servant, and he hurried to prepare it.

Isaiah 40:31
But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

Lamentations 3:25
The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.

Psalm 37:34
Wait for the Lord and keep his way, and he will exalt you to inherit the land; you will look on when the wicked are cut off.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
To everything there is a season... A time to take your time and a time to hurry up.

I can kill time with the best of them, and I can run in high gear for hours at a time. It depends on what fits the situation.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Are you a fast person, one who thinks quickly and wants action right away.. or one who lingers, waits, and slows down.. Some people look down on those who go slow. What have you learned abt going fast and slow in life?
Verses that speak of both..

Proverbs 19:2
Also it is not good for a person to be without knowledge,

Proverbs 21:5
The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage,

Psalm 119:60
I hastened and did not delay
To keep Your commandments.

Matthew 28:7
Go quickly and tell His disciples that He has risen from the dead..

Genesis 18:7
Abraham also ran to the herd, and took a tender and choice calf and gave it to the servant, and he hurried to prepare it.

Isaiah 40:31
But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

Lamentations 3:25
The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.

Psalm 37:34
Wait for the Lord and keep his way, and he will exalt you to inherit the land; you will look on when the wicked are cut off.
When I walk with anyone I most likely will walk with the other's pace rather than walk faster.
In a group I will not try to be the first but look to the rest for mypace.

I attained this attitude over fifty years ago when taking people into the mountins on old mining and mule deer trails. It was a good practice then, and now, at my age, even better.

Feb 28, 2016
what ever the pace
remember the race
that we each must
run...

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have learned if you go fast, you will probably have a shorter life cos you will burn out quickly
If you go slow, you are more likely to have a longer life.

I think it goes by the number of heart beats when your body is at rest, which is a predictor of ones lifespan.

The other thing Ive learned is Gods timing, for him a thousand years is just one day. To us one day can be like a thousand years?!

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Thank you for the thoughts. There sure is time to rush and to slow down. Some ppl are just generally slower or prefer to be than others the way they live and think perhaps, like wanting to smell the roses everytime they pass them by, while to others one sniff in their lifetime is enough=).

Of course there are more in the Bible on this, but 2 i quoted, discourage being hasty:
Proverbs 19:2: Also it is not good for a person to be without knowledge,

Proverbs 21:5: The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage,

My sister's boyfriend way back ate very slowly. As an active person, she later said she disliked waiting while he ate and talked slowly, while her mind seemed to be on other things already. They did not marry, so maybe it was a major issue they'd have dealt w/ if they did marry=). My husband tells of an aunt who when waking up, looks at the time, says, Oh, i'm late... and then still moves oh, so slowly to the bath, etc. Whereas they/his family were so used to one wake up call from their father, for example, and if you had a trip, you'd be left behind if u did not jump!

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I have learned if you go fast, you will probably have a shorter life cos you will burn out quickly
If you go slow, you are more likely to have a longer life.

I think it goes by the number of heart beats when your body is at rest, which is a predictor of ones lifespan.

The other thing Ive learned is Gods timing, for him a thousand years is just one day. To us one day can be like a thousand years?!
I was recalling some passages where God was shown to be very patient, and the farmer who plants also is.. It's so easy to be caught in the rush of others passing us by. But when God said not to envy the wicked (who are some of those who often overtake us=), there is real sense.

You think even athletes who have to discipline their minds and bodies do not really do things very fast, right? In fact, needing time to strengthen and develop muscles for agility, flexibility, speed, and strength, they cant do it all in a day, but have to train for months and years.

My father was more of the diligent who seemed to survey the land/consider areas where he or his team might be hurt or slip before making decisions, and while i'm no good leader, i think you'd find me kind of cautious-- and slow in some things. Sometimes it felt like i've let some opportunities by, but at the same time, i felt more secure not rushing things. Idk, but some people may have not much choice, they say, and (have to) join the rat race.. but God does give the breathers so we can sit back and look at things from a different perspective.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
When I walk with anyone I most likely will walk with the other's pace rather than walk faster.
In a group I will not try to be the first but look to the rest for my pace.

I attained this attitude over fifty years ago when taking people into the mountains on old mining and mule deer trails. It was a good practice then, and now, at my age, even better.
A music teacher in a beginner college class said something like we have to be patient (and wait for) those who are slower than us, at the same time be patient also w/ those who know much more and seem to need to be challenged or they be so bored.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I have two competing songs for this topic. Now I'm REALLY confused.

"You better hurry up
Getting ready to go
You better hurry up
No time to be slow
If you wanna ride on the glory cloud
With the Savior and His chosen crowd
You better hurry up
Getting ready to go"

VERSUS

"I'm not worried
Cause there's no hurry
The world's not passing me by
Cause the Lord He knows
Just where each day goes
I know He won't leave me behind
And I won't be taking
A single thing
That my heart can't carry inside
I'm going home
And I'm only taking
My time

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Thank you for the thoughts. There sure is time to rush and to slow down. Some ppl are just generally slower or prefer to be than others the way they live and think perhaps, like wanting to smell the roses everytime they pass them by, while to others one sniff in their lifetime is enough=).

Of course there are more in the Bible on this, but 2 i quoted, discourage being hasty:
Proverbs 19:2: Also it is not good for a person to be without knowledge,

Proverbs 21:5: The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage,

My sister's boyfriend way back ate very slowly. As an active person, she later said she disliked waiting while he ate and talked slowly, while her mind seemed to be on other things already. They did not marry, so maybe it was a major issue they'd have dealt w/ if they did marry=). My husband tells of an aunt who when waking up, looks at the time, says, Oh, i'm late... and then still moves oh, so slowly to the bath, etc. Whereas they/his family were so used to one wake up call from their father, for example, and if you had a trip, you'd be left behind if u did not jump!
To be fair I have to mention the Bible also says something about taking too much time. Proverbs 6:6, 6:9, 6:10, 10:26, 13:4, 20:4, 26:16, etc.

Balance is best in many things, including moving quickly or slowly.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
To be fair I have to mention the Bible also says something about taking too much time. Proverbs 6:6, 6:9, 6:10, 10:26, 13:4, 20:4, 26:16, etc.

Thank you for the shares. It is good to dig in more to what God's word says every time.

I only meant to post this, from a reading a friend sent early: Proverbs 19:11 says, “Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense.”

Feb 28, 2016
I have two competing songs for this topic. Now I'm REALLY confused.

"You better hurry up
Getting ready to go
You better hurry up
No time to be slow
If you wanna ride on the glory cloud
With the Savior and His chosen crowd
You better hurry up
Getting ready to go"

VERSUS

"I'm not worried
Cause there's no hurry
The world's not passing me by
Cause the Lord He knows
Just where each day goes
I know He won't leave me behind
And I won't be taking
A single thing
That my heart can't carry inside
I'm going home
And I'm only taking
My time

=================================================
Love this song, Lynx, really moved me - made me want to
get out my harmonica and play along...
Thanks!

mar09

Sep 17, 2014

Ive been wanting to return to the verses...

Prov. 6.6 Go to the ant, you [b]lazy one,
Observe its ways and be wise,
7 Which, having no chief,
Officer, or ruler,
8 Prepares its food in the summer
And gathers its provision in the harvest.
9 How long will you lie down, you [c]lazy one?
When will you arise from your sleep?
10 “A little sleep, a little slumber,
A little folding of the hands to [d]rest,”

Prov. 10.26 Like vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes,
So is the [k]lazy one to those who send him.

Prov. 26.16 A lazy one is wiser in his own eyes
Than seven people who can [j]give a discreet answer.

I see some have to do w/ the lazy one, whom we equate to the slow one? The matter of laziness does come into the picture of people making haste or slowing down. There's a mother i know who likes to work quickly on house matters like cleaning. Perhaps she does have a system of doing some things, and also misses to do some. But other ppl can sometimes see her as lazy, coz she wants to have time for other interests as crocheting, wc others may also see as not being very productive in use of time.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
At some point, i thot if i should give the title 'Waiting on the Lord' to this thread before posting the OP. Perhaps i could have asked more how others actually do waiting on the Lord for whatever matters we desire or ask for.

Psa. 127. 2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he gives his beloved sleep.

We are to be diligent.. however, some may overdo by not knowing how to pause or take a rest when the Lord clearly commanded the Sabbath as a day of rest. Maybe why so many are also getting sick unnecessarily (aside from those nutrition factors=).

Feb 28, 2016
EPH. 5:16.
Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. =
in plain English:
(use your TIME) 'wisely and with all prudence' -
according to the 'sacred will of God'...
for evil abounds, therefore let your LIGHT SHINE in the darkness!!!
AMEN...

stepbystep

Aug 31, 2020
To me it is about moderation. Just as are many other things. As Lynx said, Scripture tells us there is a time and a place for all things.

I believe we could all come up with different scenerios where hast was called for and/or where slowing down was the better option. Whichever one chooses, commit to your choice and do not stumble over the rock of doubt the deceiver will always put in your way.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
At some point, i thot if i should give the title 'Waiting on the Lord' to this thread before posting the OP. Perhaps i could have asked more how others actually do waiting on the Lord for whatever matters we desire or ask for.

Psa. 127. 2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he gives his beloved sleep.

We are to be diligent.. however, some may overdo by not knowing how to pause or take a rest when the Lord clearly commanded the Sabbath as a day of rest. Maybe why so many are also getting sick unnecessarily (aside from those nutrition factors=).
Yup. Some overdo it on w*rk, others overdo it on play, while some just want to relax all the time. It takes w*rk (though I still say that's a four letter dirty word) play AND rest to make a balanced life.

That's why the Bible that tells the sluggard to take a cue from the ant is the same Bible that says you need to take a day off once in a while. God knows there are extremists on all sides of the matter, extreme w*rk and extreme laziness.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
To me it is about moderation. Just as are many other things. As Lynx said, Scripture tells us there is a time and a place for all things.

I believe we could all come up with different scenerios where hast was called for and/or where slowing down was the better option. Whichever one chooses, commit to your choice and do not stumble over the rock of doubt the deceiver will always put in your way.
Thank you. There was a time when i had to always be catching up (my breath too=), my husband being an action man. Thru the years, however, God showed that He has His own pace, and i need not depend too much on anyone's but His leading. The enemy would make ways to kill, steal and destroy good and beautiful things for the Lord. Like in making melody in our hearts, i've found that while in some other activity or 'project,' we women esp can and do multitask (coz of our brain's wiring).. but it need not make us guilty if we pause minutes to sing for example and stop what we're doing.. or for those gifted in making music, even hours to learn or practice what to offer to the Lord. It does not mean we're excused from our other assignments and should still be good testimonies in other areas of life:)

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Yup. Some overdo it on w*rk, others overdo it on play, while some just want to relax all the time. It takes w*rk (though I still say that's a four letter dirty word) play AND rest to make a balanced life.

That's why the Bible that tells the sluggard to take a cue from the ant is the same Bible that says you need to take a day off once in a while. God knows there are extremists on all sides of the matter, extreme w*rk and extreme laziness.
Just the other day i heard a local counselor speaking on Youtube on a series he called Parked. It's like while we still have various community quarantines in place, there's much we cannot normally do.. but God shows we need not worry or be weary while doing good, even if that we can do at present seems repetitive, He still gives 'breaks.' And He wants us to remain faithful. While the children have laptops to use, there are times one has to work on the desktop w/c i often use, so i just have to be flexible and use time 'waiting' to plant, weed or just make changes outside than feel lazy coz i cannot yet do what i have planned to do earlier. Then i realize i have sweat a lot and done w/ my 'workouts' too, and feel good as well. Then there's more energy-- even ideas-- in doing other stuff needed.