Marijuana and Christianity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Kayny14

Jan 15, 2020
I would like to know what people think about being a Christian and using marijuana. Also, would it be acceptable for a Christian to run a recreational marijuana business as long as it is somewhere where it is legal?

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
The bible speaks against getting drunk. Getting high has a similar effect in making ones mind altered and changing their perceptions from sober thinking.
It's even illegal to drive under the influence of marijuana.
Also it's still smoke, thus still unnatural and unhealthy for ones lungs over time.
Being legal does not determine the right or wrongness of a thing. Getting drunk is legal, sleeping with a different person every night is legal, but that has no bearing on the lack of wisdom these activities express.
In China people break the law by passing out bibles and having home church services, yet that would not be seen as sin.
Standing before God He's not going to ask how well you upheld man made laws to determine your worth.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
I would like to know what people think about being a Christian and using marijuana. Also, would it be acceptable for a Christian to run a recreational marijuana business as long as it is somewhere where it is legal?
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world (1Pe 5:8-9).

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Researched, tested and proven medical results then sure for medical usages. But only proven results. Because some states you can just say you have anxiety and bam you can get medical marijuana.

For recreational I would say no. I have smoked it back in high school and for me it was mind altering as in I was not thinking in a normal state. I have known others to be addicted to it as a stress relief method who constantly was high. A individual who is constantly high in my experience doesn't perform at the same level of awareness and energy level while doing daily tasks including work. Not very good for society.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I agree with Roughsoul19 on medical use. It can work well for people with PTSD. It is commonly recommended for veterans who suffer with this. It can be good to relieve nausea due to chemo and severe and profound anxiety disorders. The analogy between being stoned and drunk is a good one. Driving high is illegal and even just getting a slight buzz makes you potentially lethal on the roads. As a former social worker the concern was child neglect, children showing up at school without lunches, backpacks, appropriate clothes for the weather, etc. I think it can be a medicine but it would be foolish to treat it like a toy. Just my thoughts.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Personally, except perhaps for medicinal purposes I would not want to closely associate with anyone that uses this drug for recreational purposes because it is a mind altering drug. While it may not be sinful to start such a business I believe that it would be wise to pursue a different type of business. Glad to have you join us. Welcome to CC.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont know, in america it seems like an inalieable right to have guns so now theyve made it an ininalieble right to get high.
but then thats america. They legalise anything harmful. You can do whatever you want there, worship anyway you please, and it doesnt matter one iota if its happens to harm other people, create pollution, or cause anyone to stumble.

As for Christianity, well Jesus was not running a business on the side. He was going about his Fathers business. He even gave up his carpentering to minister to the people. You need to talk to God about this one truly.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
With all due respect, I don't believe that view of the world doesn't model how Christ would view it, and He was the G-d sent model of how to live a life that pleased the Father, thus, everything we think, do, and say is to model the Lord, not our own opinion. He gives us what to say and do as we stay "in Him".

"I dont know, in america it seems like an inalieable right to have guns so now theyve made it an ininalieble right to get high. " quote.

Your major premise is in error.

We know the devil is going about, when we see an error in decision making it is a call to us to prayer just as he modeled "I only do what I see the Father do", and else where, "I only say what I hear the Father say". So much of this world is in our hands as we let out the indwelling Christ and allow Jesus to guide us.
Best wishes to you and yours, in Jesus name

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hmmm... the OP is a new member with one post, and that one post starts a thread, and that thread is a well known hot topic that is sure to create arguments...

*Lynx goes off to dig around in the closet for the "Please do not feed the trolls" sign.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
The bible speaks against getting drunk. Getting high has a similar effect in making ones mind altered and changing their perceptions from sober thinking.
Although I'm all for cannabis being used as a medicine to cure things like cancer and treat the symptoms of multiple sclerosis, I think using it for recreation might even be worse than using alcohol and cigarettes for recreation. Because of its effects on the mind, recreational use of cannabis might be more similar to sorcery than drunkenness.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I hear what you are saying, yet I have waited for time to go by in these states that have made the step and am seeing what seems to be valid research that the drinking and accident rates have gone down. Spiritually, I must focus on Jesus, that is what He instructed us to do, straying into politics takes my focus off Him.
If I belong to Jesus I no longer have my own opinion, His view becomes my view, how do we tie this together? We know it is His very nature that we be well and whole, I know for my own part He takes people off medicine as He heals them, and often it is a process as we get better we reach a place where the medicine makes one sick, that can be His guidance that it is no longer has a place in your health.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
"Be not drunk with wine wherein there is excess, but be filled with the Holy Ghost"

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
With all due respect, I don't believe that view of the world doesn't model how Christ would view it, and He was the G-d sent model of how to live a life that pleased the Father, thus, everything we think, do, and say is to model the Lord, not our own opinion. He gives us what to say and do as we stay "in Him".

"I dont know, in america it seems like an inalieable right to have guns so now theyve made it an ininalieble right to get high. " quote.

Your major premise is in error.

We know the devil is going about, when we see an error in decision making it is a call to us to prayer just as he modeled "I only do what I see the Father do", and else where, "I only say what I hear the Father say". So much of this world is in our hands as we let out the indwelling Christ and allow Jesus to guide us.
Best wishes to you and yours, in Jesus name
i am just observing what a lot of americans claim about their own country, even christian americans.
since that is where marijuana has been legalised in many states eg Colorado.
If some follow their model of what is legal you end up with situations where children are smoking and eating cannibis lollies and big business are marketing harmful products to everyone to make a buck.

It will just follow the tobacco industry which has to be reigned in and the same with alcohol. Doctors used to say it was totally fine to smoke tobacco. But the thing is those substances are now adulterated and so many people die of smoking related illness, not to mention alcohol, that the so called benefits are outweighed by the abuses.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
anyway OP asked what I think and Im just saying I think its unacceptable.

Its not an error to say this.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
of course, looking at it from the carnal, sense ruled side, looking at it from the Spiritual side as we are required if we are His, we want to serve Him the best we know how, hence we seek His truth over what we "think" or have an "opinion" of, since we are no longer our own.
best wishes

Feb 28, 2016
I've used many 'drugs' = man prescribed and recreational = 'man's made me a drug addict' =
God's medicine helped me to cope and eventually over-come my sickness'...

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
that speaks to me of the goodness of God. You as well?
blessings

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I would like to know what people think about being a Christian and using a hooker. Also, would it be acceptable for a Christian to run a brothel as long as it is somewhere where it is legal?

What? It's exactly the same concept! They are both things you buy that give you pleasure, and both are proven detrimental to you and those around you when used for "recreational reasons." :sneaky:

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
doesn't say don't drink, it says to not be drunk.

Kayny14

Jan 15, 2020
I would like to know what people think about being a Christian and using a hooker. Also, would it be acceptable for a Christian to run a brothel as long as it is somewhere where it is legal?

What? It's exactly the same concept! They are both things you buy that give you pleasure, and both are proven detrimental to you and those around you when used for "recreational reasons." :sneaky:
This is not helpful.
Let's compare it to something similar. Like alcohol.