Marijuana and Christianity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Safer from losing our relationship with our Lord and Savior? Not sure there is chapter and verse for this, sounds more like leaning on our own understanding and/or opinion, neither of which we are to do if we are His.
blessings

Feb 28, 2016
after being 'in and of the world', and 'what I have experienced from then until now' -
I would simply say;
the world's 'prescribed/pharmika DRUGS', cannot hold a candle to Yeshua's flora and fauna
that He originally created for us to be able to live and survive in an Holy manner according to His Will..

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I would like to know what people think about being a Christian and using marijuana. Also, would it be acceptable for a Christian to run a recreational marijuana business as long as it is somewhere where it is legal?
In my opinion NO to operating such a business, and no regarding a believer using dope just for the fun of it. IF a Licensed Medical Professional such as a Primary Care Doctor prescribed cannabis, then I could see that being ok. Just remember, a person can take the pills.......prescribed for medical reasons, the pills work I am told...........those who choose to smoke dope are not acting in a Christian way in my opinion............

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
In my opinion NO to operating such a business, and no regarding a believer using dope just for the fun of it. IF a Licensed Medical Professional such as a Primary Care Doctor prescribed cannabis, then I could see that being ok. Just remember, a person can take the pills.......prescribed for medical reasons, the pills work I am told...........those who choose to smoke dope are not acting in a Christian way in my opinion............
Yeah, I agree. There is a place for alcohol, cannabis and even nicotine in medicine. But I don't believe the natural blessings God gives us are to be misused, and unfortunately, that seems to be the case with the misuse of any drug. I can't think of a way to use drugs for recreation that is not misuse.

Kayny14

Jan 15, 2020
Yeah, I agree. There is a place for alcohol, cannabis and even nicotine in medicine. But I don't believe the natural blessings God gives us are to be misused, and unfortunately, that seems to be the case with the misuse of any drug. I can't think of a way to use drugs for recreation that is not misuse.
What medical use is there for alcohol? As far as I know there is none. It is recreational and Jesus even condoned drinking in moderation so can't get on board with that drinking alcohol is wrong.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
wine is a food, distilled spirits are a little different. Jesus turned water into wine, and we know God only does good.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
What medical use is there for alcohol? As far as I know there is none. It is recreational and Jesus even condoned drinking in moderation so can't get on board with that drinking alcohol is wrong.
Good point.

Proverbs 31:6-7 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

1 Timothy 5:23 “Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.”

Kayny14

Jan 15, 2020
wine is a food, distilled spirits are a little different. Jesus turned water into wine, and we know God only does good.
Yes. Can marijuana also be a food though since it is a plant and can be used in baking? What if there were marijuana backed goods at the wedding feast, do you think Jesus would have turned regular baked goods into special ones? Also, I'm not arguing, just speculating! Wine could just be an example like many other things in the bible when there are no specifics and we must go off a precedent?

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
Jesus didn't turn marijuana into brownies. We live in the time Jesus spoke of when He said there would be an outward form of godliness denying the power. When we are in relationship we go to him first with our questions and await His direction. Then we don't cherry pick verses to support what we want to hear or believe.

Kayny14

Jan 15, 2020
I think you misunderstood me though. Obviously I know that.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I would like to know what people think about being a Christian and using marijuana. Also, would it be acceptable for a Christian to run a recreational marijuana business as long as it is somewhere where it is legal?
Don't do it. Acceptable? No.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Jesus didn't turn marijuana into brownies. We live in the time Jesus spoke of when He said there would be an outward form of godliness denying the power. When we are in relationship we go to him first with our questions and await His direction. Then we don't cherry pick verses to support what we want to hear or believe.
Jesus was not into brownies, He was into bread.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Paul suggested/recommended it to Timothy for a stomach ailment he had.

Alcohol is also suggested in the OT as a temporary relief for those with excessive
grief, and was prescribed for use in festal celebrations and sacrificial rituals.

And, wine is a symbol of joy in the OT (Psalm 4.7; 104.15; Ecclesiastes 10.19). In the Song of Songs, wine-related imagery is used as part of sexual expression (Song 1.2, 4; 4.10; 5.1; 7.2, 9; 8.2). Israel herself is even described as God’s vineyard (Psalm 80.8, 14; Isaiah 5.1-5, 7; Jeremiah 2.21; 12.10; Hosea 10.1). Essentially, the OT teaching regarding the consumption of alcohol is that it is normal and acceptable as long as it does not lead to a characteristic lifestyle of drunkenness. source

Psalm 104:14–15: "[The LORD] makes ... plants for man to cultivate –
bringing forth food from the earth: wine that gladdens the heart of
man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart."

Ecclesiastes 9:7: "Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your
wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do."

Kayny14

Jan 15, 2020
Paul suggested/recommended it to Timothy for a stomach ailment he had.

Alcohol is also suggested in the OT as a temporary relief for those with excessive
grief, and was prescribed for use in festal celebrations and sacrificial rituals.

And, wine is a symbol of joy in the OT (Psalm 4.7; 104.15; Ecclesiastes 10.19). In the Song of Songs, wine-related imagery is used as part of sexual expression (Song 1.2, 4; 4.10; 5.1; 7.2, 9; 8.2). Israel herself is even described as God’s vineyard (Psalm 80.8, 14; Isaiah 5.1-5, 7; Jeremiah 2.21; 12.10; Hosea 10.1). Essentially, the OT teaching regarding the consumption of alcohol is that it is normal and acceptable as long as it does not lead to a characteristic lifestyle of drunkenness. source

Psalm 104:14–15: "[The LORD] makes ... plants for man to cultivate –
bringing forth food from the earth: wine that gladdens the heart of
man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart."

Ecclesiastes 9:7: "Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your
wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do."
How was it prescribed for grief? I go out of my way to avoid it when I am sad. I don't think that is a good way to use alcohol. Is that just me?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Sadly, I can relate to the nicotine in medicine. Gave up alcohol in 1992 and never smoked pot. I use nicotine for medicinal purposes. Please don't ask me why because I'm not a psychiatrist.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
How was it prescribed for grief? I go out of my way to avoid it when I am sad. I don't think that is a good way to use alcohol. Is that just me?
I was trying to find the verse on it but am apparently not framing my question properly for the search engine. And I keep getting distracted :giggle: I will continue looking :) Perhaps a word search of an online Bible will divulge the verse/s I am looking for :D

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I found it for you, @Kayny14 :D

Give strong drink to one who is perishing, and wine to the bitter in soul. Let them
drink and forget their poverty and remember their misery no more.
Proverbs 31:6-7

Prycejosh1987

Jul 19, 2020
If it is not illegal then i cannot see what the problem with it is. Smoking pot causes paranoia, but maybe if the doctors prescribe marijuana it might have health benefits. I don't know i havent smoked the legal or illegal one.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Good day, Kayny14!

Not many people know this, but most of the translations in the NT for sorcery and magic arts comes from the Greek word 'pharmakeia' which is where the English word pharmaceuticals comes from. Below is the definition:

Strong's Concordance
pharmakeia: the use of medicine, drugs or spells
Original Word: φαρμακεία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: pharmakeia
Phonetic Spelling: (far-mak-i'-ah)
Definition: the use of medicine, drugs or spells
Usage: magic, sorcery, enchantment.

HELPS Word-studies
pharmakeía (from pharmakeuō, "administer drugs") – properly, drug-related sorcery, like the practice of magical-arts, etc. (A. T. Robertson).

NAS Exhaustive Concordance
Word Origin
from pharmakeuó (to administer drugs)
Definition: the use of medicine, drugs or spells

NASB Translation
sorceries (1), sorcery (2).

Therefore, when people use drugs recreationally to get high, they don't realize that they are engaging in sorcery and magic arts, because drugs were/are apart of performing incantations and casting spells. Even though they may not be performing the incantations and casting spells, they are still considered by God to be committing the sin of sorcery. Revelation mentions that during the time when God will be pouring many will be engaged in sorcery by using drugs:

Stated after the seven seals and trumpets 1 thru 6
"The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood—idols that cannot see or hear or walk. Nor did they repent of their murders, their magic arts (pharmakeia), their sexual immorality or their thefts.

Just because something is made legal by man's laws, does not mean that it is ok with God. Therefore, since we have already seen that drug use is deemed as sorcery by God, then regardless of it being legal, to God it is the sin of sorcery. Same thing with homosexuality. Just because the LGBTQ group attempt to justify same-sex life styles and our judges pass laws to legalize it, it is still sin against God. And many other things like this which mankind does.