Marriage question

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I do believe that's about the size of it. Our Brother in Christ Jaywalker wants to walk with our Lord, but he still has city shoes on and refuses to change them!

@JayWalker, to want to walk with God is an admirable thing but you will have to find out what God said about Marriage, instead of what He didn't say about marriage. Then you will be moving towards the holiness that is required to walk with God. He is a Holy God remember.
Famous words of Jesus "Thy sins be forgiven, go forth and sin no more."
 
I pulled up the Websters Dictionary on my Bible Study Program E Sword

Here is the difference

Adultery
ADUL'TERY, n. [L. adulterium. See Adulterate.]
1. Violation of the marriage bed; a crime, or a civil injury, which introduces, or may introduce, into a family, a spurious offspring.
By the laws of Connecticut, the sexual intercourse of any man, with a married woman, is the crime of adultery in both: such intercourse of a married man, with an unmarried woman, is fornication in both, and adultery of the man, within the meaning of the law respecting divorce; but not a felonious adultery in either, or the crime of adultery at common law, or by statute. This latter offense is, in England, proceeded with only in the ecclesiastical courts.
In common usage, adultery means the unfaithfulness of any married person to the marriage bed. In England, Parliament grant absolute divorces for infidelity to the marriage bed in either party; and the spiritual courts divorce a mensa et thoro.
2. In a scriptural sense, all manner of lewdness or unchastity, as in the seventh commandment.
3. In scripture, idolatry, or apostasy from the true God. Jer 3.
4. In old laws, the fine and penalty imposed for the offense of adultery.
5. In ecclesiastical affairs, the intrusion of a person into a bishopric, during the life of the bishop.
6. Among ancient naturalists, the grafting of trees was called adultery, being considered as an unnatural union.

Fornication
FORNICA'TION, n. [L. fornicatio.]
1. The incontinence or lewdness of unmarried persons, male or female; also, the criminal conversation of a married man with an unmarried woman.
2. Adultery. Mat 5.
3. Incest. 1 Cor 5.
4. Idolatry; a forsaking of the true God, and worshipping of idols. 2 Chr 21. Rev 19.

Fornication is sexual intercourse with an unmarried person. It's punishable by a fine. The fine goes to the Father of the maiden daughter. There may be a shotgun wedding if he chooses that.
This is not regarded as adultery because no married person was involved.

I'd find the reference if I had time, but my point is that merely living together is not marriage.
There were different customs in times past.
The most basic one was Rebecca agreeing to marry Isaac after she cleared it with her Dad.
This might appear like fornication, but it was truly marriage as both fathers and the two agreed. No ceremony or paperwork was mentioned.
However, it's not the same as a couple deciding to move in with open option to move on to someone else if it doesn't work out.

+ @Edward429451
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edward429451
Fornication is sexual intercourse with an unmarried person. It's punishable by a fine. The fine goes to the Father of the maiden daughter. There may be a shotgun wedding if he chooses that.
This is not regarded as adultery because no married person was involved.

I'd find the reference if I had time, but my point is that merely living together is not marriage.
There were different customs in times past.
The most basic one was Rebecca agreeing to marry Isaac after she cleared it with her Dad.
This might appear like fornication, but it was truly marriage as both fathers and the two agreed. No ceremony or paperwork was mentioned.
However, it's not the same as a couple deciding to move in with open option to move on to someone else if it doesn't work out.

+ @Edward429451
Download E sword, it's a free bible study program, it's what I use when I don't have time to manually find referances or use the online Kingjames bible website.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HealthAndHappiness
Fornication is sexual intercourse with an unmarried person. It's punishable by a fine. The fine goes to the Father of the maiden daughter. There may be a shotgun wedding if he chooses that.
This is not regarded as adultery because no married person was involved.

I'd find the reference if I had time, but my point is that merely living together is not marriage.
There were different customs in times past.
The most basic one was Rebecca agreeing to marry Isaac after she cleared it with her Dad.
This might appear like fornication, but it was truly marriage as both fathers and the two agreed. No ceremony or paperwork was mentioned.
However, it's not the same as a couple deciding to move in with open option to move on to someone else if it doesn't work out.
I get it, their is a clear definition of Marriage and rules for dishonouring or disobeying those rules. That this particular conversation is regarding someone who doesn't want to honour biblical marriage.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HealthAndHappiness
Yeah, your estimation is right on target. :)
Im not just another pretty face lol.
some of the courses I am studying revolve around research and gathering and interpreting data, and of course I have been blessed with the knowledge and Wisdom of God because I have the Holy Spirit with me......
(not to toot my own horn but...... beep beep beeeeep beeeeep beep lol)
 
Maybe our brother in Christ Jaywalker will watcha very short video about Marriage and what it is, Bibkically. This Pastor is good.

 
I think what it comes down to is the man has no reverence for God and was hoping for validation so he could show his GF and tell her see we dont have to get married. He's a cheapskate. He needs prayed for.
JayWalker's OP is a strategically placed dogpile, guaranteed to incite and inflame the senses. And his 187 posts in just 5 weeks makes for a busy man - or troll...

Buy hey, hope springs eternal.

@JayWalker, to want to walk with God is an admirable thing but you will have to find out what God said about Marriage, instead of what He didn't say about marriage. Then you will be moving towards the holiness that is required to walk with God. He is a Holy God remember.
Beautiful counsel.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edward429451
If the man has no desire to repent or get right with God, preaching, teaching and/or rebuking is just as bad and fruitless as casting pearls before swine.
 
If the man has no desire to repent or get right with God, preaching, teaching and/or rebuking is just as bad and fruitless as casting pearls before swine.

It can be hard at times for people to admit their mistakes to other people. But he isn't the only one on this board with those struggles. But it's not like most of us havent had the same struggles so I dunno why he would be embarrassed to share?

Those trials and tribulations such as are common to man. So he's in good company but doesnt know it, lol.

Scripture says to confess our faults to one another. WHy does it say that? It creates accountability towards the persons growth!

You guy wanna hear some of my failures & struggles?

I doubt it, lol. we strive to stay optimistic
 
It can be hard at times for people to admit their mistakes to other people. But he isn't the only one on this board with those struggles. But it's not like most of us havent had the same struggles so I dunno why he would be embarrassed to share?

Those trials and tribulations such as are common to man. So he's in good company but doesnt know it, lol.

Scripture says to confess our faults to one another. WHy does it say that? It creates accountability towards the persons growth!

You guy wanna hear some of my failures & struggles?

I doubt it, lol. we strive to stay optimistic
That is true, I guess it comes down to humble yourself and ask for help or let your pride hinder your growth.
I will give you an amen for that.
if you want to share sure.

lol too true.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Edward429451
That is true, I guess it comes down to humble yourself and ask for help or let your pride hinder your growth.
I will give you an amen for that.
if you want to share sure.

lol too true.

Hey now, that was supposed to be a rhetorical question, lol.
No, really I share a lot on this board but it has to come up in a conversation somehow, then I will for sure.
 
Hey now, that was supposed to be a rhetorical question, lol.
No, really I share a lot on this board but it has to come up in a conversation somehow, then I will for sure.
No if you wanna share anything, I am opening to listen, you can use my private in box if you want privacy.
I share a lot too, even my professor thinks I am a bit of a story teller in my assignments.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Edward429451
So, it's not just me. ;)
It's odd to me how people throw around the word "love" but yet really discount it....because either they can't love and/or never have had love modeled properly for them before...meaning they never learned.

But....

That still doesn't track because the ideal still exists. They should know.

What do you think?
 
  • Like
Reactions: mailmandan
It's odd to me how people throw around the word "love" but yet really discount it....because either they can't love and/or never have had love modeled properly for them before...meaning they never learned.

But....

That still doesn't track because the ideal still exists. They should know.

What do you think?
Certain folks may devalue or act contrary to the ideals of love while still claiming to love others. You've heard the saying "talk is cheap" where words do not align with actions.
 
  • Love
Reactions: JohnDB
Certain folks may devalue or act contrary to the ideals of love while still claiming to love others. You've heard the saying "talk is cheap" where words do not align with actions.
It seems to me,
That "some" people, who are supposed to love others the same as they love themselves, do not even like themselves.

It's as if Corinthians 13 doesn't exist.

And

When it comes time for a spouse....other than a person they use as some form of masturbatory aide they really don't have much use for them or understand the value of a spouse. Meaning they really don't even value themselves or their own position in a community that God has placed them in.

A single cord may be broken easily....but a rope of 3 cords is not. One of the reasons we have children. Unconditional love being the binding agent. Unconditional love also makes people vulnerable to being betrayed and hurt....maybe that's the reason....I dunno. But to give up completely on love in that fashion. Uggghhhh....what a cold and calloused heart. Deserving of all pity and zero empathy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mailmandan