marriage

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
Hello; I live in the bible belt. Oklahoma, there are probably more churches here than bars and liquor stores put together. That is way different than my original hometown. What I am about to write comes directly from a 4th grade dictionary:
Marriage (noun) A wedding ceremony, the state of being married. Marry (verb) to take someone as a husband or wife.

Not a word about God, commitment, contract. Husband OR wife, not AND. A husband and a wife would be more correct, (a meaning one). That is what they teach children in the bible belt. Does it seem wrong to anyone besides me? calibob

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
No, doesn't seem wrong, and gave a accurate description of marriage which is essentially a contract between two willing parties. I would not expect a secular dictionary, even one geared to a 4th grade vocabulary to mention anything about God. School is not the only place where a child receives an education, spiritual matters notwithstanding. 'They' should also include parents, older siblings, and other family members or friends. If you were a woman you would take a man to be your husband, a man would take a woman to be your wife. Does not seem to me that the definition was promoting same sex marriage. I believe that the definition was correct and proper.

FENNER2

Apr 21, 2018
Unless it's a Christian School they won't teach kids about God. I went through k through 12th grade in public school in the North East part of Pennsylvania. The only recollection I remember any Christianity being even mentioned is when we sang Silent Night at a Christmas concert. I'm sure after all these years that's probably been taken out too.

Oh we did say under God during the pledge of allegiance.

God not being mentioned in a public school system during discussions of marriage isn't anything new.

I mean this post as no disrespect to the original poster, these are just my observations.

CS1

May 23, 2012
Hello; I live in the bible belt. Oklahoma, there are probably more churches here than bars and liquor stores put together. That is way different than my original hometown. What I am about to write comes directly from a 4th grade dictionary:
Marriage (noun) A wedding ceremony, the state of being married. Marry (verb) to take someone as a husband or wife.

Not a word about God, commitment, contract. Husband OR wife, not AND. A husband and a wife would be more correct, (a meaning one). That is what they teach children in the bible belt. Does it seem wrong to anyone besides me? calibob

first off through away your liberial dictionary :

Marriage :
an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities :

Marry :

a : to join in marriage according to law or custom
b : to give in marriage
  • married his daughter to his partner's son
c : to take as spouse : wed
  • married the girl next door
d : to perform the ceremony of marriage for
  • a priest will marry them

the word” marriage” has many other words associated with it . Like

Fidelity : the quality or state of being faithful

his fidelity to his wife

Vow : a solemn promise or assertion; specifically : one by which a person is bound to an act, service, or condition

IN every word Marriage , marry, vow, Fidelity , speaks to our relationship with God. Promise ,
covenant etc... all from the word of God.

And Gen 2:24.

the world has a secual aproach to all God has for us chritians

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
it's not my dictionary the school gave it to my grand daughter

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
it's not my dictionary the school gave it to my grand daughter
I for one understood that. Serious moral decay started in this country when God was removed from the school system. The sad thing is that there is no federal law prohibiting prayer or even bible study in school but this decision was left to each individual state. I wonder if the tenure system for teachers had anything to do with it in having local school boards caving in to a demand to remove all mention of God. Freedom of religion is granted to all religions except the practice of Christian principals and values.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
The lies and manipulation of the truth are so subtle it is easy to go unnoticed and I wonder what is taught in liberal states where major cities populations are in the millions. Parents expect the schools to teach children properly but tricks like this undermine the foundation of our society. I have told my family that winners write the history books that dosn't make them all true. Parents, teach your children the truth. Don't expect the schools to do it any more. Thank you G'bye calibob

A

Ariel82

Sounds politically correct.

Personally I believe Its the parents responsibility to teach religion and love of God and the bible, not schools.

You can't mandate Christianity to be taught and in some states same sex marriages are legal.

HoneyDew

Apr 30, 2011
It is not the schools responsibility to teach the students about God. Even if they did, people would STILL complain because everyones beliefs and moral compasses are not the same.

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
I know, I was sounding th alarm for parents to be aware and do their jobs or don't be suprised when their comes son comes home in a dress.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I know, I was sounding th alarm for parents to be aware and do their jobs or don't be suprised when their comes son comes home in a dress.
Yes I know I live in California :) trust me I am fully engaged

S

SpoonJuly

I for one am glad public schools do not teach religious subjects.
If you look at all the false teaching in churches today, how could you expect the truth to be taught in school?
Best leave it to the parents.

CS1

May 23, 2012
I for one am glad public schools do not teach religious subjects.
If you look at all the false teaching in churches today, how could you expect the truth to be taught in school?
Best leave it to the parents.
Ok and the false teaching of schools today get a pass? What false teaching could possibly be taught in schools from church that they are not being taught today in a secular lesson ?

CS1

May 23, 2012
Ok Please provided an example of false teaching in churches today that could be used in school lessen and were is the concern of the false narratives taught everyday NOW in a secular curriculum ?

Thank you

Is that better.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
Does it seem wrong to anyone besides me?
Since it is a secular dictionary, that is all you can expect. In any event the parents must take primary responsibility for teaching children about spiritual and moral issues (including the meaning of marriage). Next comes their Sunday School (provided they teach from the Bible). However, if they were in a Christian school, then you could make this an issue, or at least find out what is being taught in this connection.