Marshmallow Test:

  • Thread starter Thread starter Richie_2uk
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
5 second rule! :P

And I love this thread by the way... I think a lot of people misunderstand this concept and then see Christianity as a restriction or a "DO NOT DO THIS" kind of religion... thus feeling like freedom is taken away etc. However, what you say is true. More and more, I find freedom in self control rather than feeling like I am imprisoned by it. Indulging oneself in pleasures can lead to many consequences, and in the end, you find yourself trapped in it.

I follow the 2 second rule myself. Regarding this marshmallow situation I advise to those who roast these edible concoctions to make sure the fire is completely out before attempting to put into one's mouth.
 
Marshmallow Test :
​

You’re seated in a small room with a table in front of you. On the table is a tray of puffy white sweets that most of us know and love ---- Marshmallows.

A man shows up and explains that he is going to leave the room for a few minutes. While he’s gone you can ring a bell to summon him back and then eat a treat. Or you can wait until he returns and then receive two Marshmallows.
The test is supposed to measure a person’s ability to exchange short term pleasure for a better long term outcome.


Daniel decided to put off the pleasure of his “daily ration of food and wine” (Daniel 1: 5) from king Nebuchadnezzar’s kitchens in order to honour God.
It’s like that the king’s kitchens produced mountains of roast meat, loaves of warm bread, jugs of top-notch wine and towers of cakes dripping with honey. However, “Daniel was determined not to defile himself” by eating the king’s comfort food (Daniel 1: 8) Notice Daniel was determined.

As captive in Babylonia it must have been hard to say “please pass the spinach” when the king’s delicacies were being offered (Daniel 1: 12)

Some bible commentaries presents the idea that Daniel refused the food because it had been offered to idols or that it was a way of staying separate from the Babylonian culture. Whatever the reason Daniel’s self-restraint honoured God.

The lord blessed the brave young man and his friends with aptitude in their Babylonian studies, and Daniel was able to interpret visions and dreams (Daniel 1: 17) What’s more he and his fellow dieters looked healthier than the men who feasted on the king’s food (Daniel 1: 15).

The next time you face a test like Daniel, consider the long term result of the immediate pleasure. Honouring God in this life is what matters most in the long run………………


Daniel is an awesome book...what I found interesting is evaluating the book in light of the names of Daniel and the three Hebrew boys...

Daniel=God is my judge
Hananiah=Jehovah was favored
Mishael=Who is like God
Azariah=Helped by Jehovah

Re-study the accounts of these boys in light of the name they have which seems to bring out even more nuances that shed light on their stands!
 
What food is unclean today?

the Food that comes out of our mouths. You think, just for once that when people post a thread. that people could actually stick to the theme? or thread lol I dont mean you personnally, But people in general. lol They just love to derail a thread huh. LOL Makes you laugh really, But thats people for you.


Sorry, but it was an example of short term pleasure. :)
 
Daniel is an awesome book...what I found interesting is evaluating the book in light of the names of Daniel and the three Hebrew boys...

Daniel=God is my judge
Hananiah=Jehovah was favored
Mishael=Who is like God
Azariah=Helped by Jehovah

Re-study the accounts of these boys in light of the name they have which seems to bring out even more nuances that shed light on their stands!

This may not be exactly relevant to your post but I made my own fudge brownie recipe once using marshmallow for texture and chewiness. Nuts are optional.
 
This may not be exactly relevant to your post but I made my own fudge brownie recipe once using marshmallow for texture and chewiness. Nuts are optional.

Tourist I will take some in the mail overnight as long as no razors/needles and or poison HAhhah ;)
 
I will send by way of FedEx. The brownies will be scrumptious and safe to eat and prepared with kindness and understanding.

Awesome.......I will get out the ole ice cream crank and whip up some home made vanilla and or peach Ice Cream to top off the brownies HAH! Man I am hungry as it has been 18 hours since I ate anything HAH!
 
I will send by way of FedEx. The brownies will be scrumptious and safe to eat and prepared with kindness and understanding.

Oh how good it is to derail threads. LOL And brownies and fedex is to do with Danial now? WOW!
 
You can see why people can get annoyed when people derail the subject spoken about. LOL

Funny how a thought about Daniel gets overlooked and ignored while a polite answer to a post (not by me) gets attention and statements about derailing subjects.....

Here is what I wrote the first time....

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by dcontroversal Daniel is an awesome book...what I found interesting is evaluating the book in light of the names of Daniel and the three Hebrew boys...

Daniel=God is my judge
Hananiah=Jehovah was favored
Mishael=Who is like God
Azariah=Helped by Jehovah

Re-study the accounts of these boys in light of the name they have which seems to bring out even more nuances that shed light on their stands!
 
What food is unclean today?
There are LOTS of unclean foods today!! The dietary laws weren't only about eating, they weren't to be obeyed legalistically, just as circumcision wasn't given about a physical operation, it was to symbolize a spiritual truth. Christ gave us the Holy Spirit to use instead of the symbol, but the symbol itself isn't wrong. We are still to be spiritually circumcised, we are still to watch what goes in our minds, we are still to obey in spirit and truth.
 
OR Daniel could have just gotten sick of the whine and played it off as devotion to god.


If you continually eat something that is usually special, it loses it's taste.