I find that one of the hardest things to do is convince a deceived person they are deceived as those who are can be some of the most hard minded individuals on earth. In a way it is not entirely their fault as they are unaware they have been deceived but it is a dangerous thing to be so sure of yourself that you refuse wise counsel from others. The only reason I know I am not deceived is because I know there is a possibility I could be wrong, a wise saying says you can learn more from losing than winning and like wise we can learn more from being wrong than being right.
JTB:
What reason did you have for posting something you copied from somewhere?
Would you please disclose the "source" of the OP? When using someone elses work, you are required to give proper "credit" to them. Elsewise, it could be plagerism
There is a disconnect between all of Matthew 24 - the Olivet Discourse -- and what is posted in the OP. The Olivet Discourse is not primarily about deception by false messiahs and false prophets. It is an overview of all biblically significant events until the Second Coming of Christ.Matthew 24
So how are we to determine if we have been deceived? What are the tests?
Here are a few Bible passages that may be helpful in answering your question:
"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God..." - 1.John 4:1-3
"To the law [books of Moses] and to the testimony [the writings of the prophets]! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light [truth] in them." - Isaiah 8:20
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits [deeds]..." - Matthew 7:15,16
"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind [toward God], that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." - Romans 12:2
"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. " - Philippians 4:8
The last verse may not directly answer your question, but can provide some boundaries to help in determining what might be true or false.
The two simplest and most practical examples probably are:how are we to determine if we have been deceived?
I'm sorry, what are you referring to?JTB:
What reason did you have for posting something you copied from somewhere?
Would you please disclose the "source" of the OP? When using someone elses work, you are required to give proper "credit" to them. Elsewise, it could be plagerism
-examining ourselves to see if we are bearing fruit that remains.
I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes I feel like people throw out advice without showing me how to apply it to my life. I apologize if I did that to you.
Hmmm... God tells us in the end the world will be deceived and fall into godless ways leading up to the antichrist. We see that being fulfilled in the liberal deep state.
But concerning us, He says we will be deceived by false prophets coming in His Name to draw us away from His truth as well.
Seeing the deception of the deep state is easy.
Seeing the deception we will fall under might be a bit, well, more deceptive.
Here are a few Bible passages that may be helpful in answering your question:
"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God..." - 1.John 4:1-3
"To the law [books of Moses] and to the testimony [the writings of the prophets]! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light [truth] in them." - Isaiah 8:20
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits [deeds]..." - Matthew 7:15,16
"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind [toward God], that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." - Romans 12:2
"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. " - Philippians 4:8
The last verse may not directly answer your question, but can provide some guidelines to help determine what might be true or false.
I personally test with scripture. Scripture should agree, it should never disagree and never contradict.Thank you. Those passages discuss testing, but they don't explain how to test.
I quote 1 John 4:1 quite often . . . but how does a person test? I have my methods of testing, but do others? If so, how do "you" test?
I ask these questions because, in my opinion, people merely read about them but do not exercise them, hence, "christians" incessantly refer to each other as "brother" and "sister" without knowing if the notion is even True. This is why I rarely EVER refer to another as Brother or Sister. When I do such, it is only after I have "tested" the spirit within them.
These passages that you have quoted are not merely interesting materials to read (like Romans 12:2), but we are to experience them.