Matthew 7:21-23 "I never knew you."

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Matt72123

Mar 19, 2020
I'm new to this chat, but not to this verse. Looking forward to the discussion.
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ (Matthew 7:21-23 NIV)

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ (Matthew 7:21-23 NIV)

Matt 7:21 Jesus said; Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; """but he that doeth the will of my Father""" which is in heaven.
(NOTE: He that doeth the will of my Father)

What is the will of the Father?

John 6:40 Jesus said; This is the will of him that sent me, that every one which "seeth the Son, and believeth on him" may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

(NOTE: The will of the Father is: Place your Faith in the Son's redemptive sin atoning sacrifice. Found in the death (sins required wage paid), burial (proof Christ died) & resurrection (God's receipt, payment received & accepted)

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hi Matt, since you neither asked questions nor made points about this passage, do you mean for us to share our thoughts about it, or did you have something else in mind :unsure:

Thanks!

~Deut

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Not really too difficult a passage when you see it.

These people relied on THEIR works, instead of the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

"Lord, Lord, did WE not do............"

Matt72123

Mar 19, 2020
Thanks for the question, Deut. Helps me to know the options. Actually, I would like to ask a series of questions that would progress over time rather than address all at one time. Of course the big topic is Jesus' prophesy of Matthew 7:21-23. The overall purpose of the questions relates to 2 Corinthians 13:5 where we are told: "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in faith, test yourselves..." As such, the questions and discussion will focus on how a professed Christian can go about examining their faith to see if they know Christ and He knows them - per Matthew 7:21-23. Of course, the results of the examination are between each professed Christian and Jesus, so this line of questions are mere prompts we could use to draw near to God. The examination can certainly be of great benefit to those who erroneously assume their saving relationship with Christ, but from experience I know it can help true believers to grow closer to Jesus as Lord of the life going forward.

So, the general approach would be for me to field a number of questions relating to each of these topics:
  1. The Situation that Jesus describes in Matthew 7:21-23.
  2. How a professed Christian can Be Assured.
  3. Examples of the New Life that results when the true saving relationship with Jesus is established.
  4. Know God and His Plan for life.
Knowing the truth of God's Word associated with these topics has the potential of helping all professed Christians to evaluate their personal relationship with Christ; and with the power and grace of the Holy Spirit, to grow into the masterpiece that God created each of us to be. The first question or two relating to The Situation will follow when we have a few folks to get going. Thanks again.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
It similar to this verse ,some people think they save but not. Salvation happen If we invite Jesus come into our hearth and If Jesus in our heart we have love

1 John 4:20

“If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?”

Feb 29, 2020
A. The people here are professing believers.
B. These believers were involved in ministry.
C. These believers were also "evil doers".

Lesson learned:
Don't be an evil doer while professing belief in Jesus.

That's my take.

Blade

Nov 19, 2019
Christ comes..sets foot on the earth. He then gathers the nations. These are those that just came out of the great tribulaion. He then splits them sheep and goats.

So ANYONE answer me.. does GOD, Christ, Holy Spirit, heaven.. do they know you? When He found you.. all heaven rejoiced. "therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven." Christ told the Father about you. For Christ to look at you and say "I never knew you" He would have to now lie. Lets keep going ...

And its written in Rev "All who dwell on the earth will worship him whose names have not been written from the foundataion of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain" <--- this is to show you.. to be at peace. He knows you. And no one has ever been blotted out of the lambs book.

I like the org Rev 13 way it was written. For me goes in line with other verse. As if God already knew who would follow Him. What how LUCKY were those that God said "Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations." God can never tell Jeremiah that He never knew him.. lucky I guess. Well I was told there is no luck here :)

I could go on the point is.. for Christ to say "I never knew you". He never knew them. They were not saved. "And no one puts new wine into old wineskins; or else the new wine bursts the wineskins, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But new wine must be put into new wineskins.” Your a new Creation in Christ Jesus.

This is about how they treated Israel during the great tribulation. The least of these...my brethren. No one is pulled from heaven to now stand before Christ. To be absent here is to be present with the Father. "We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.". He gathers the nations..

The word makes it clear God does not hear the unrighteous (sinner). He always hears the righteous. He hears me when I pray and answers. I KNOW He knows me. Again.. those are they that came out of the great tribulation. Some confessed Christ yet..were never saved. This is not about anyone living today or with the Father now. One would have to ADD to the word. One would have to "speculate" or say "what He really means, what that verse is really saying".

I think the problem for some is.. they believe they will be here during the great tribulation.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I have a question. What Screen Name did you use the last time you were here? Looking forward to your answer

Apr 15, 2017
There are some people who believe they cannot abstain from sin, and they sin daily, and sin does not affect their relationship with God.

Which these people will hold unto sin and believe they still have salvation.

But Jesus is saying otherwise.

The Bible says that a Spirit led life will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh, for they have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts, and show the ways of the Spirit and not the flesh, and God will allow them to be tempted above measure, and will give them an escape from the temptation so they can bear it.

Which means a Spirit led life can abstain from sin, for God said they can abstain from sin.

Which we have the capability to sin if we want to sin, but a person with the Spirit if they sin will get rid of it and keep moving forward, but a person without the Spirit will hold unto sin and believe they are right with God.

But the Bible says that some have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof, ever learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth, and they are lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God, which they enjoy sin and hold unto sin and believe they still have salvation.

Which the Lord knows them that are His having this seal, for this is what seals the saints and how they are led of the Spirit, that everyone that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

And awake to righteousness, and sin not, but some have not the knowledge of God.

And if a person does not continue in the goodness of God they will be cut off.

And do not depart from the living God by the deceitfulness of sins.

So Jesus is telling those that had a form of godliness but denied the power thereof and held unto sin and thought they had salvation, that they did not have salvation, and did not do the will of the Father, which He said be ye holy for I am holy, but were workers of iniquity.

And there is many that are hypocritical and hold unto sin, and live like that daily and think they still have salvation which is why the world says hypocrite for they know they do not act good like they should, and as they claim Jesus acted.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
We have the capability to sin if we want to sin, but a person with the Spirit if they sin will get rid of it and keep moving forward, but a person without the Spirit will hold unto sin and believe they are right with God.
Hi Matt, so I gather that you would agree with this A. W. Pink quote then, yes? (I believe that this is one of the many things that can help us know whether we are, or are not, true believers, just FYI)

~Deut

Mar 28, 2016

I would offer it reveals that God is not served by human hands in any way shape or form we can plant the incorruptible born again seed and water it with the doctrines that fall like rain .But Christ must bring the new birth and growth if any. .

The Lord did not say he did not perform them .He whose name is Jealous simply will not share His glory with the creature. He said I never knew you. A fence jumper a wolf in lambs clothing.

MikkoAinasoja

Nov 19, 2014
This are the peoples who say they follow our Lord, but in reality, they still follow they own lust. And in my understanding this is pretty much todays christianity, where everyone is saved, but no one seems to know our Lord Jesus, or God.

There seems to be no need to be righteus man anymore.

Strongly believe that we live in last days.

Dec 30, 2019
(NOTE: He that doeth the will of my Father)
We need to consider the example we show others is important. "Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." (matthew5:19)

Dec 30, 2019
I think the problem for some is.. they believe they will be here during the great tribulation.
"According to your faith let it be to you." (Matthew 9:29) If they think they will be here, then they will most likely be here for that. Some of what we are starting to go through now could be a dress rehearsal for the great tribulation. The diseases, the lack of provision. The mormons from the beginning teach that people need to store up provision when the stores are sold out of food. We laugh at survivalists who think they need a gun to protect their provisions. Even we laugh today when people are fighting over toilet paper.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I do not know any believer who laughs at people so weak in the faith as to think owning a weapon is spiritual protection. It is pathetic spiritual weakness.
God has always provided for all. It is Godless man who does not provide from their superavits.
Jesus did say we will always have the poor to help, so help the poor.
I am not political but because I have voiced the loving care recommende3d and taught by our Lord, I have oft time been labeled leftist.

I voted once in my 75 years and that was for Jimmy Carter..I would again, but none other. I was ashamed of how he was regarded by so many politicians. Now I will not put a confessed believe in that position ever.

Call me a Marxist if you like, but I really do believe we should help even our enemy not to mention our needy family of man given us by our Father.

Wall

Mar 13, 2013
MATT.7 [22] Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?[23] And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: DEPART FROM ME, YE THAT WORK INIQUITY.

PSALMS 119 [113] I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love.[114] Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.[115] DEPART FROM ME, YE EVILDOERS: for I WILL KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF MY GOD.[116] Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.

Depart from me! Aint it great how the new verifies the old. Seems there will be many people who will be saying “I believe” when Jesus returns. Who had talked of Jesus and spoke in his name. Some that even have cast out devils in the name of Jesus. But “in that day” Jesus will say to “the many”, depart from me...I never knew you.

1JOHN2 [3] AND HEREBY WE DO KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS.[4] He that saith, i know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.[5] But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

Theres the people who know God and will be saved. Once again, the new verifies the old. They that observe to keep Gods 10 commandments. Remember to read the 4th one.

TITUS 1 [13] This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; [14] Not giving heed to Jewish fables, AND COMMANDMENTS OF MEN, that turn from the truth. [15] Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. [16] THEY PROFESS THAT THEY KNOW GOD; BUT IN WORKS THEY DENY HIM, being abominable, AND DISOBEDIENT, and unto every good work reprobate.

In Titus you will find people that profess they know God (they say they believe) but in works they deny Him. They do not know God. So according to scripture it is just not enough to simply say you believe. Theres a lot more to it.

JEREMIAH [6] Thine habitation is in the midst of deceit; through deceit THEY REFUSE TO KNOW ME, saith the LORD.[7] Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, Behold, I will melt them, and try them; for how shall I do for the daughter of my people?[8] Their tongue is as an arrow shot out; it speaketh deceit: one speaketh peaceably to his neighbour with his mouth, but in heart he layeth his wait.[9] Shall I not visit them for these things? saith the LORD: shall not my soul be avenged on such a nation as this?[10] For the mountains will I take up a weeping and wailing, and for the habitations of the wilderness a lamentation, because they are burned up, so that none can pass through them; neither can men hear the voice of the cattle; both the fowl of the heavens and the beast are fled; they are gone.[11] And I will make Jerusalem heaps, and a den of dragons; and I will make the cities of Judah desolate, without an inhabitant.[12] Who is the wise man, that may understand this? and who is he to whom the mouth of the LORD hath spoken, that he may declare it, for what the land perisheth and is burned up like a wilderness, that none passeth through?[13] And the LORD saith, BECAUSE THEY HAVE FORSAKEN MY LAW which I set before them, and have not obeyed my voice, neither walked therein;

HOSEA 6 [1] Come, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up. [2] After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight. [3] Then shall we know, IF WE FOLLOW ON TO KNOW THE LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.

1JOHN2 [3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
I use to have a friend, he teach sunday school and believe in Jesus. But he always cheat money from his credit card, buy phone time ilegally use his friend credit card and not pay.

Because he believe salvation not by work just by faith.

I believe that is what Jesus mean by not doing the Will of the father, only believe Jesus God but he believe If you rob the bank or kill not change your salvation. In other word he believe salvation by faith alone not by work and what ever you do, you not lose your salvation

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Faith is believing Jesus, Believing Jesus means we obey His example and His teaching.

Jesus does not run a mafia of killers and robbers, He came to give life and give it in abundance.

Your friend is in total darkness.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Faith is believing Jesus, Believing Jesus means we obey His example and His teaching.

Jesus does not run a mafia of killers and robbers, He came to give life and give it in abundance.

Your friend is in total darkness.
Yes some people misunderstod salvation by faith alone