Matthew 7:21-23 "I never knew you."

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Wall

Mar 13, 2013
Yes some people misunderstod salvation by faith alone
And some do not know what faith is all about

HEBREWS 11 [28] THROUGH FAITH HE KEPT THE PASSOVER, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them.

Heres Moses keeping the law of the passover by faith.

E

eternally-gratefull

This passage is about those who are trying to earn their salvation by their works. The motivation of all their works. Is so they may be seen rightious and and worthy on the last day, when they stand in front of God and God questions them, instead of pointing to the cross, they point to all their works,

Jesus states a fact, depart for he NEVER KNEW THEM

how can a christian tell? What is the motivation for their works, is it to puff self up?: maintain your salvation, not our of love but selfish ambition,? And what is your gospel, is it based on the cross? Or is it based on Jesus work plus your work? Finally, how is your faith in the Gospel, is it in Christ alone through faith alone, by recieving eternal life, the seal of the spirit and made children of a God through faith, or is it in Christ, and conditional life, through faith and works, if it is this, you are most likely a legalist and need to question your faith

on the other hand, are you a bearer and not a doer! Are you just playing church but even in church you show partiality, you have no fruit of the spirit, there seems to be nothing that shows your a true believer, you just said some sinners prayer, well you may lean toward licentiousness, and you need to question your faith,

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
In regards to Matthew 7:21-23, (I will never forget, prior to my conversion several years ago while still attending the Roman Catholic church) I read Matthew 7:22 and thought to myself, oh my goodness! These many people accomplished all of that, "prophesied in His name, cast out demons, and did many wonderful works" but that still was not "good enough?" Then I thought to myself at that time, how am I going to "top that" and be "good enough?" Such is the mindset of someone who believes that salvation is obtained by works.

Matthew 7:21 - Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. *John 6:40 - For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in Him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.

These many people (unbelievers) in Matthew 7:22 had the wrong foundation. They were trusting in their works to save them and NOT IN CHRIST ALONE. Jesus NEVER knew them which means they were NEVER saved. Their hearts were not right with God, so their "attempted external obedience" (apart from the righteousness of God which is by faith and the blood of Christ) was stained with sin. *Seeking salvation by works is not the will of the Father.

John 17:3 - And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. The term "know" implies intimate, experiential knowledge, through a relationship with Him, not merely theoretical knowledge.

These many people were not true converts. *Without faith it's impossible to please God no matter how many alleged wonderful works that these many people set out to conjure up through the flesh in a vain effort to obtain salvation based on their works. This is why Jesus referred to these many people as "workers of iniquity." God does not see the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus (Romans 4:5-6; Philippians 3:9) in unbelievers, but He see's all of their sins which remain and have not been washed away by the blood of Christ.

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
We need to consider the example we show others is important. "Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." (matthew5:19)
I absolutely agree with your statement.

Having said that, scripture teaches we are to: rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15

Question: Where do we divide/cut this line of truth?

Answer: Christ's Death, Burial & Resurrection!

The Matt verse's in the OP & your reply as well. Are OT pre sin payment & resurrection. Therefore the law was, yet to be done away)

2 Corinthians 3:7 (A) But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
(NOTE: The ministration of death/law engraved in stones purpose was to expose & condemn sin & post-resurrection HAS been done away with)

Galatians 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
(NOTE: (NOTE: Christ sin atoning death & resurrection REDEEMED believers from the LAW/ministration of death's comdemnation)

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
(NOTE: Christ sin atoning death & resurrection are the beginning of the new covenant)

Sin is the transgression of God's law. 1 John 3:4

We've all broken God's law & deserve the sentence invoked in (Rom 6:23 DEATH). No one can say he is not a sinner until some means is provided (not to take away the law) but to remove the sin, which is the transgression of the law.
Sin's required payment/judgment is death (Rom 6:23 A). A sinless Jesus willing sacrifice. Fulfilled & paid the laws sin requirements. FAITH in Jesus work & Resurrection removes ALL our sin. Once our sins have been removed, there is no transgression of the law

Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
(NOTE: Believers = Those that have harkened to the will of the Father (.Jn 6:39-40). Are no longer under the LAW/ministration of death

Jesus sin atoning payment, found in Christ's dearth, burial & resurrection. Is seized/accessed via FAITH (Rom 5:1-2, 10:9-10, Eph 1:13,. 2:8) placed in the faithful, obedient work & resurrection of Jesus the Christ!

Matt72123

Mar 19, 2020
I'm new to this chat, but not to this verse. Looking forward to the discussion.
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ (Matthew 7:21-23 NIV)
So,
So, the general approach would be for me to field a number of questions relating to each of these topics:
  1. The Situation that Jesus describes in Matthew 7:21-23.
  2. How a professed Christian can Be Assured.
  3. Examples of the New Life that results when the true saving relationship with Jesus is established.
  4. Know God and His Plan for life.
So, as moderator for this discussion, I extend the first Chat topic for The Situation. I suggest keeping answers short since there will be several more chat topics to expand your answers.
Chat Topic #1 - The Situation
Considering Jesus' prophetic message of Matthew 7:21-23, who are the people in our world today who Jesus is addressing? Of the 7.8 billion people, how many may be in that population? Is it likely that many of that population are already attending Christian churches?​

Wall

Mar 13, 2013
MATT.7 [22] Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?[23] And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: DEPART FROM ME, YE THAT WORK INIQUITY.
So who are these workers of iniquity?

PSALM 94 [11] The Lord knoweth the thoughts of man, that they are vanity. [12] Blessed is the man whom thou chastenest, O Lord, and teachest him out of thy law; [13] That thou mayest give him rest from the days of adversity, until the pit be digged for the wicked. [14] For the Lord will not cast off his people, neither will he forsake his inheritance. [15] But judgment shall return unto righteousness: and all the upright in heart shall follow it. [16] WHO WILL RISE UP FOR ME AGAINST THE EVILDOERS? OR WHO WILL STAND UP FOR ME AGAINST THE WORKERS OF INIQUITY?

LEV.5 [17] And if a soul sin, and commit any of these things which are forbidden to be done by the commandments of the LORD; though he wist it not, yet is he guilty, and shall bear his iniquity.

Break commandments=iniquity

PSALMS 89 [30] If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments;[31] If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments;[32] Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes.

Break commandments=iniquity

MATT.7 [21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.[22] Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?[23] And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Ye that work iniquity=I never knew you {proclaimed believers}

1 JOHN 2 [1] My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: [2] And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. [3] AND HEREBY WE DO KNOW THAT WE KNOW HIM, IF WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Theres the children that know the Lord.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
basically bible teach that there is correlation between faith and work.

Some people think It is posible to invite Jesus or to call Jesus God, but robing N the bank or Being profesional killer in the same time because salvation is by faith alone.

But real faith seen by It fruits

John 15
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Jesus say It is impossible for a branch that abide in Him not bear fruit.

So,If one say Lord Lord but the fruit is killer, he is not genuine abide or have faith in jesus

Salvation by faith alone but faith that save never alone

(Marthin Luther)

Jul 20, 2019
it means mere acknowledgment that Jesus exists and died on the cross isn't enough. You must have that personal one on one relationship with him. And good works wont get you to heaven. Once the personal relationship starts, you should be starting to transform to behave like he did at least. one day I will share the parable of the neighbours bbq as an example.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
it means mere acknowledgment that Jesus exists and died on the cross isn't enough. You must have that personal one on one relationship with him. And good works wont get you to heaven. Once the personal relationship starts, you should be starting to transform to behave like he did at least. one day I will share the parable of the neighbours bbq as an example.
Yep. Faith to the point of abide Will bear the fruit. And the fruit of Holy Spirit is love.

If the fruit is profesional killer, than the vine must not Jesus.

Imposible good tree produce bad fruit. We may put a label that say It is good treee oN It, but If the fruit bad than the label is Lie.

It doesn't mean salvation by work, salvation by faith, but real faith produce good work

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ (Matthew 7:21-23 NIV)
I think the full chapter is advisable for context. The Book of Matthew chapter 7- This ESV link also has the Koine (Common) Greek version in parallel for consideration.

I believe our Lord is referring to false teachers. We have , and it need be said I think, encountered those just on this board. They're also on TV, the likes of Joel Osteen being one example. And a great many more. Then, in the time of Jesus and the Apostles, and now.

Platosgal

Mar 17, 2020
"I Never knew you." Would this mean, the person he was addressing, possibly was never in communication or fellowship with Jesus, but was great at being an opportunist? Using the devices and language of Christianity, but for their own ends? ( cast out demons in your name...") the performance art of Christianity, with out personal interaction with the savior? Its interesting to me that he mentioned these grand gestures as a activities that he did not co-sign, but it the scripture infers that they actually happened. (i.e. demons were cast out, etc) Upshot..whom ever he was speaking to was a deceiver with a good act

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Not really too difficult a passage when you see it.

These people relied on THEIR works, instead of the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

"Lord, Lord, did WE not do............"
You hit the nail on the head! (y) “Nominal” Christians say, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t WE and genuine Christians say, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t YOU.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Hello Mastt72123!

"Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’

The key to understanding to why not everyone will enter the kingdom of heaven, is found in their response. When they find out that they cannot enter the kingdom of God, they give the reason as to why they think that they should enter in which is "did we not" which would infer that they were trusting in their own works and not trusting in the Lord who provided salvation for them. We are saved by having faith in Jesus who provided salvation for us by the shedding of His blood. We are not saved by prophesying in His name, driving out demons and performing miracles. Those are an examples. Any other works can be substituted in that scripture. And just as someone already posted, the will of the Father is to believe in His Son. By citing their own efforts as the reason why they should enter into the kingdom of heaven demonstrates they are not trusting in Christ, but in their own works. I like the detailed version in the NLT of how we are saved:

God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. - Ephesians 2:8

Based on the above, hoping to enter into the kingdom of God by prophesying in His name, and driving out demons and performing many miracles or performing any other works, won't get anyone into the kingdom of God.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Jesus repeat this prophecy about what Will happen in the last judgement in matt 25

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and

did not minister unto thee?

People oN his left think they go to heaven, because they think they work for Jesus.

But Jesus say No.

Work for Jesus is when we love the needy, people that preach in the big church for fame and money think they work for Jesus but Jesus say

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Regular poor member that love the poor and help the least may go to heaven but the elder that think work for Jesus may not

Matt72123

Mar 19, 2020
Good discussion. In going forward, as moderator, I would like to field a number of questions relating to each of these topics:
  3. Examples of the New Life that results when the true saving relationship with Jesus is established.
So, the first Chat topic for The Situation is shown here.
Considering Jesus' prophetic message of Matthew 7:21-23, who are the people in our world today who Jesus is addressing? Of the 7.8 billion people, how many may be in that population? Is it likely that many of that population are already attending Christian churches?​

Jul 20, 2019
Good discussion. In going forward, as moderator, I would like to field a number of questions relating to each of these topics:
So, the first Chat topic for The Situation is shown here.
Broadly speaking there are three types of people spiritually speaking: Christians who go to organised religion, the lost sheep. They are deceived by prosperity theology, misled by misquoted scripture or believe good works will get you over the line, recalcitrants who wont bow down any God, period, even if its Baal, Allah etc they could care less and will always put themselves first. No amount of prophecy or preaching will convince them. The third ones are the chosen ones, the ones God Knew since before they were conceived. Most of them have been followers of Jesus Christ during primary school, possibly longer. To be assured of salvation for christians is to take up there cross and deny the flesh.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Jesus repeat this prophecy about what Will happen in the last judgement in matt 25

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and

did not minister unto thee?

People oN his left think they go to heaven, because they think they work for Jesus.

But Jesus say No.

Work for Jesus is when we love the needy, people that preach in the big church for fame and money think they work for Jesus but Jesus say

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Regular poor member that love the poor and help the least may go to heaven but the elder that think work for Jesus may not
Hello Jackson123!

Just fyi, that judgment that you listed above is not the last judgment, but is in reference to the sheep and the goat judgment which takes place when the Lord returns to the earth to end the age. At that time He will separate the people one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep on His right and the goats on His left. The sheep are those who will have made it through the tribulation period alive and will be those who will be allowed to enter into the millennial kingdom to repopulate the earth. The goats will be the wicked who did not believe in Christ and because of not having faith will not have had compassion and mercy as the sheep did and will be cast into the lake of fire which was prepared for Satan and his angels.

Jackson123

Feb 6, 2014
Hello Jackson123!

Just fyi, that judgment that you listed above is not the last judgment, but is in reference to the sheep and the goat judgment which takes place when the Lord returns to the earth to end the age. At that time He will separate the people one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep on His right and the goats on His left. The sheep are those who will have made it through the tribulation period alive and will be those who will be allowed to enter into the millennial kingdom to repopulate the earth. The goats will be the wicked who did not believe in Christ and because of not having faith will not have had compassion and mercy as the sheep did and will be cast into the lake of fire which was prepared for Satan and his angels.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Seem to me the sheep go to kingdom, and If we compare to the got go to lake of fore

Lake of fire is hell isn't It?

Then kingdom must opposit of hell, > mean heaven.

The similarity between Mat 25 and matt 7 is both the people think they are work for the Lord and Will be welcome by Jesus.

In other side, the sheep also think they never work for the Lord. But Jesus say you do work for Me

When you show love to the needy, poor and the least, you do It for Me, now come with me to my Kingdom.

NOV25

Nov 23, 2019
So,
So, the general approach would be for me to field a number of questions relating to each of these topics:
So, as moderator for this discussion, I extend the first Chat topic for The Situation. I suggest keeping answers short since there will be several more chat topics to expand your answers.
Considering Jesus' prophetic message of Matthew 7:21-23, who are the people in our world today who Jesus is addressing? Of the 7.8 billion people, how many may be in that population? Is it likely that many of that population are already attending Christian churches?
Matthew 7:13-23 KJV

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Most would agree Jesus is speaking to Christians about true Christians and false Christians. As to how many in the world today, Lord only knows. But we could deduce from the comparative nature, the true and false, and the language used, the many and the few, that the false Christians may out number the true Christians. This observation seems reasonable not only today but even as we look back through church history all the way through the epistles.

Polys: many, much, most, large, mostly, largely...
Oligos: little, small, few...

Could we be so bold as to say majority and minority? If so, we could say that approximately 51% of professing Christians will hear those terrifying words, I never knew you.